Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 AM

13 posts, read 87,100 times

Advertisements

Newbie Landlord here. I have read the pertinent statute but didn't find the answer. If it is in there I must have missed it.

I have just rented out a single family home. Tenant has requested blinds for all windows. Is it REQUIRED that I furnish blinds/window coverings OR is it more a matter of common practice and courtesy on the part of the landlord?

Any input or opinions is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
I put blinds on all the windows. It's better than letting people put whatever they want. Tenants don;t always have good taste or a sense of street visibility. I only put in the cheap 3.99 blinds. It keeps the windows uniform and the tenants can put up whatever they want on the inside and the street view. I do not know if it is a requirement under the Texas LL/Tenant law. I just do it.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
No idea if Texas has any law requiring landlord to supply window blinds / shades, but as I landlord I routinely DID supply shades. The inexpensive type from the discount store (like WalMart or Target) usually are appreciated by most tenants. They help keep the sun from heating the place up when it is vacant and give tenants decent privacy. From a safety standpoint don't get anything that a pet or child can get tangled up with!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
No, it is not legally required. You should have a clause in your lease agreement which states that any permanent fixtures installed by the tenant have to be pre-approved and remain the property of the LL after quit. Blinds aren't necessarily permanent fixtures but the holes required to install them should fall under your wear and tear clause and require they be puttied/painted upon quit to restore the wall to the condition it was in when the lease was signed.

Or, as said above, install them yourself at your own expense and save the hassle!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Install a decent quality miniblind on the windows. If you get the cheapest kind you can find, you'll be replacing them often. If the tenants want curtains, install simple curtain rods yourself, or have your handyman do it so that you know they're also installed properly not just tacked up with the screws pulling out easily.

Otherwise, when you drive by your property you may see god knows what thumbtacked to the windows! One, blue sheet, one red blanket, a flag............

Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM

13 posts, read 87,100 times
Okay. Thanks for everyone's input. Most windows have the curtain rods on them already. I will go ahead and provide blinds for the windows that don't have curtain rods on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting