Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 14,125 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Okay, me and my roommate are subletting our apartment in downtown LA. There's only about 3 months left on it. The problem is that the building says only says that we can exchange only one of the names on the lease. The deposit is not really a problem as it's only 300/person, and I will get that from the new tenants.

My question is if I keep my name on the lease, what am I risking? and I'll make sure they'll get insurance for the place.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
I don't know CA's landlord/tenant laws, so this is only general advice.

But you're probably risking a lot. What happens if, say, the remaining tenant(s) refuses to pay rent and disappears? What happens if they invite a guest over and said guest damages the apartment? What happens if there's contested damage to the apartment (say an electrical fire; you blame the wiring, while your landlord blames your microwave)? Depending on circumstances, you may be found wholly or partly responsible, even though you don't live there.

Having your name on the lease is basically a guarantee on the lease. You are swearing that you will see to it that all terms of the lease are enforced and that all rent is paid.

Being on a lease while you aren't living there sounds like a terrible idea.

And only swapping out one name at a time sounds pretty ridiculous, too. Then again, I've never been in a sublease, and I've never lived in CA, so maybe this is common.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

ok. thanks.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Since we've had a tenant completely trash a unit in 6 weeks (had to re-replace the brand new carpet and repaint the 6 week old paint, on top of the other $3000 worth of repairs), I don't think there is such a thing as "safe".

Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 PM

I'm thinking about finding the best people I can, and keeping the insurance which I only pay about $30/month. I was told it covers damages, fire, etc, and I will also make sure they have their own insurance too. The good thing is that it's a very popular building so if one of the tenants decides to leave early I could easily rent it out for a month or two.

I know this may sound crazy, but since my name will remain on the lease and if one of the tenants don't pay, they'll be known as a stranger to the building. But the thing is that one new person has to go on the lease, as my roommate is being taken off. So if that person doesn't pay I might be in trouble. I have to ask of I would be responsible for only half the rent, or if we're both responsible for all the rent..

Would appreciate more advice and suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting