Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times

Advertisements

I have several calls in to realtors and attorneys on this, but would like some first-hand insight if anyone has some...

I own a property and used a management company to rent it out. I have a contract with the management company; the renters have a lease with the management company. Due to problems, I am ending my contract with the managment company. I also do not want to keep renting the property and need to sell for financial reasons.

Since I personally do not have a lease with the renters, I assume they would need to re-sign a new lease with me IF I was going to keep the home. Since there is no signed lease with me, does it automatically go to a month-to-month? Therefore I'd legally need to give them a 30-day notice to vacate the property?

I have read that if they have a lease to live in the home, I have to legally respect their lease and they have the right to stay in the home, even if I sell it. But I do not have a lease directly with them; their lease is with my property manager, who I am firing. I am also trying to sell to an owner/occupant, not another investment company who would rent it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I believe your tenant's lease has to be honored even if you fire your property management company in the same way in which, when you sell the property, the new owners are obligated to honor that same lease. You can certainly offer them a buy-out deal incentive to effect an early termination of the lease.

I'm not a lawyer and maybe someone else has better information. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
I have read that if they have a lease to live in the home, I have to legally respect their lease and they have the right to stay in the home, even if I sell it. But I do not have a lease directly with them; their lease is with my property manager, who I am firing. I am also trying to sell to an owner/occupant, not another investment company who would rent it out.
Ditto what STT said....
Couple things to understand real quick
1. The lease remains in effect until it reaches it's expiration. The lease is covered by laws that over-ride real estate purchasing laws.
2. When you hire a PMC they are your agent acting on your behalf, if you fire them, you become responsible. The only exception is if they just upped and rented the place and you had no idea what was going on. For what its worth, even if the PMC agreed to something witht he tenant such as cuttingt he rent in hald and they legally executed the agreement, your on the hook.
3. Once the lease is signed, it makes no diffrence who the new owner is.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
Change of property ownership does not void a lease.

I think the lease could only be voided (apart from obvious reasons) if the property goes into foreclosure.

Just wait them out, and give them X# of days notice to vacate as stated in your lease (generally 30 or 60 days).

Or make it rain money on them to convince them to move out.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
I have several calls in to realtors and attorneys on this, but would like some first-hand insight if anyone has some...

I own a property and used a management company to rent it out. I have a contract with the management company; the renters have a lease with the management company. Due to problems, I am ending my contract with the managment company. I also do not want to keep renting the property and need to sell for financial reasons.

Since I personally do not have a lease with the renters, I assume they would need to re-sign a new lease with me IF I was going to keep the home. Since there is no signed lease with me, does it automatically go to a month-to-month? Therefore I'd legally need to give them a 30-day notice to vacate the property?

Their lease is almost certainly with you, the owner of the property. The property manager is simply your AGENT. Unless you rent the property to the management company and they sublet it, which I highly doubt.

You can sell the property with tenants in it. Obviously you disclose to any potential buyers what the terms of that lease, and you make arrangements with the tenant to allow showings of the property with reasonable notice, etc. In most cases, the new owner will be obligated to honor the lease, with an exception (in NJ at least) in the event the buyer wants it as a personal residence and not as an investment.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Absolutely convert their lease to a 30 day tenancy as soon as you can but don't be too quick to boot a steady paying tenant.
1) There is no telling how long it might take to actually find a buyer and get to settlement.
2) Many (most?) buyers today are investors... many of whom might be quite happy to have a built in tenant.
(under certain specific circumstances)

When (if) you have a real offer... deal with the tenants then.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Absolutely convert their lease to a 30 day tenancy as soon as you can but don't be too quick to boot a steady paying tenant.
1) There is no telling how long it might take to actually find a buyer and get to settlement.
2) Many (most?) buyers today are investors... many of whom might be quite happy to have a built in tenant.
(under certain specific circumstances)

When (if) you have a real offer... deal with the tenants then.
I'm not sure "many" or "most" buyers today are investors.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
If this is a multi-unit rental property then there is a good possiblity that the first question a potential buyer will ask will be what the occupancy rate is. The second will be how long the current tenants have been there.

If it's a single family that was rented for some other reason then it makes no difference whether there are tenants or not if it is being sold as a home.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
I'd ask the renters if they want to buy the place.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 AM

30 posts, read 96,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I'd ask the renters if they want to buy the place.
Ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting