Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 7,607 times

Advertisements

I moved into an apartment in long island city this september 2011,
The leasing office accepted me by paying 6mo's in advance .
When i first paid the 6mo's in advance by cashiers check i thought that would be enough but 2 days later they said , i also need to pay firstmonths security too or else they will not give me the keys.
I paid firstmonths security by cashiers check again .
In total i paid 6 mo's plus first months security and i got the keys and i moved in. .

At the end of september i receive a bill from landlord saying that i owe them octobers rent (which is ok) plus Security Deposit ( which causes a problem)

I though i have paid the security deposit and send them an e-mail saying that their leasing office stated us to pay the firsts months security and move in so in the end we paid 7 months (plus they still didnt give us a receipt of 6 months of the first months security ).
I ask them with e-mail and there were no response for a month.

Now its november and again i received a bill stating novembers rent
plus instead of sec.deposit they said past balance ..

What should i do ? any advices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
If you paid 6 months in advance why do you have to pay October rent? When does the 6 months get used up?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM

They say those six months are taken for the last six months of a year lease..

Old 10-28-2011, 09:45 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smachiavelli View Post
I moved into an apartment in long island city this september 2011,
When i first paid the 6mo's in advance by cashiers check i thought that would be enough but 2 days later they said , i also need to pay firstmonths security too or else they will not give me the keys.
I paid firstmonths security by cashiers check again .
In total i paid 6 mo's plus first months security and i got the keys and i moved in. .

At the end of september i receive a bill from landlord saying that i owe them octobers rent (which is ok) plus Security Deposit ( which causes a problem)

I though i have paid the security deposit and send them an e-mail saying that their leasing office stated us to pay the firsts months security and move in so in the end we paid 7 months (plus they still didnt give us a receipt of 6 months of the first months security ).
I ask them with e-mail and there were no response for a month.

Now its november and again i received a bill stating novembers rent
plus instead of sec.deposit they said past balance ..

Call them.

Your mistake was emailing them and then allowing a month to go by without following up.

And always get a receipt if you're paying via cashier's check or cash.

Call them!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 AM

I called them too also before e-mailing them , but they insisted on stating the issue by e-mail so that they can talk with their manager about the situation plus they told me that
i knew this was gonna happen and i m trying to turn this over.
which really pissed me off.
after paying 7 months to get into the apartment also none of my ex landlords gave me the keys to move in before i paid the security deposit even in New york city apartments i lived..

Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Do they dispute getting the security deposit?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smachiavelli View Post
...i also need to pay security too or else they will not give me the keys. deleted ->(first months)
The security deposit is MORE important for the LL to receive than the rent.
All sorts of other conditional and legal aspects stem from having that reserve.

Quote:
I paid security by cashiers check. deleted ->(first months) (again)
In total i paid 6 mo's rent plus security and i got the keys and i moved in. deleted -> (first months)

OK...

At the end of september i receive a bill from landlord saying that i owe them octobers rent
(which is ok) plus Security Deposit ( which causes a problem)
This is probably just a clerical error.

Quote:
Talk to them in person and ask nice.
Then when you get home write a letter to repeat what the verbal chat said:
Quote:
"As per our conversation this afternoon, my understanding is that the repeated requests for security deposit beyond what you acknowledge receiving will stop immediately. Thank you"
hth

Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The security deposit is MORE important for the LL to receive than the rent.
All sorts of other conditional and legal aspects stem from having that reserve.

This is probably just a clerical error.

Talk to them in person and ask nice.
Then when you get home write a letter to repeat what the verbal chat said:
hth

I will do that definetely but what if they say we only had 6 mo's plus september and octobers rent but no security deposit , even if i can prove them that they charged first months security and the leasing office stated that after paying the firstmonths security we will be alright to get in.

The reason i am asking is that from my understanding when they say firstmonthsecurity deposit means first months rent will also count as security deposit or am i wrong do i have to pay both first months ( september) and security deposit ?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do they dispute getting the security deposit?
Well last time i have talked with them they dispute getting the security deposit.

I am a nice tenant paying my rents on time .
and they have my 6 months of rent in their reserve which i even asked them to pull one month from that reserve and count as security deposit but they said no and they said mr. you know this was gonna happen and you are trying to find your way through this..

do you think is this a case that they can drive through a court or a judge?

btw this is a residential building owned by a person and her company is managing these apartments under the owners observation..

any advice?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Personally, I think that to charge someone the last 6 month's rent, a security deposit and first month's rent is a bit of overkill. Did you have something major against you that they required that? Or did you offer that to buy yourself a better rate?

But yes, it sounds like that is what they are wanting. You paid the last 6 months rent for whatever reason. They need security deposit on top of that and then you need to pay your monthly rent as usual.

Rent and deposit are usually not interchangeable. So if everything you have paid has been applied to rent, which it sounds like it has, you do still need to pay whatever your lease says for security deposit.

You keep saying "first month's security" and there really is no such thing. You have "first month's rent" and "security deposit" and they are two different things, although they could each be for the same amount.

Normal in many areas is to charge first month's rent, last month's rent and security deposit at move in. That would usually equate to around 3 month's rent. It sounds like in your case, for some reason, instead of 1 last month, they want 6 last months, so your total should be around 8 total months rent. Again, sounds like overkill to me, but maybe it is warranted, without more details, I just can't say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting