Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times

Advertisements

It is definitely a new trend in my area. I think it is partly because so many people have lost their homes in the last few years, and they have their own fridges they can move in, so more LLs are figuring they shouldn't bother putting one in. But it is also in part because fridges seem to be an expensive rental expense. They are always having problems, usually because the tenant sets them on the wrong temperature, or doesn't vacuum off the coils and it ices up, or the water line for the icemaker leaks. And when the fridge goes out, it is ALWAYS "I just went shopping yesterday and I lost over $500 worth of food". By making the tenant have their own fridge, all that responsibility shifts to the tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Up until a few years ago, I owned a number of rental houses. I never ever offered a refrigerator. Stove and oven - yes, but no fridge or washer/dryer. Not once did I have an objection to not providing one and didn't feel any rent was lost because of it.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
I think some of it has to do with the type of premise. For most houses, its pretty much what you want to offer. For multi-unit housing I usually see that there are regulations that cover appliances. I am required to provide basic kitchen apliances (cooking & ref) as outlined in our permits. For me, I think the cut off is 6 or less continuious unit in the same complex. Over 6 units, we have all sorts of regulations for what must be provided including a laundry room if over 42 units.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It is definitely a new trend in my area. I think it is partly because so many people have lost their homes in the last few years, and they have their own fridges they can move in, so more LLs are figuring they shouldn't bother putting one in. But it is also in part because fridges seem to be an expensive rental expense. They are always having problems, usually because the tenant sets them on the wrong temperature, or doesn't vacuum off the coils and it ices up, or the water line for the icemaker leaks. And when the fridge goes out, it is ALWAYS "I just went shopping yesterday and I lost over $500 worth of food". By making the tenant have their own fridge, all that responsibility shifts to the tenant.
My landlord life became much easier when I eliminated 50% of my service calls simply be no longer providing free standing appliances...

HUD guidelines offer $2 a month for a refrigerator where I am... for $24 a year it is not even worth considering...

My service truck gets 11 mpg... so even a short 25 mile round trip is about $10 at Bay Area gas prices...

The 4 problems with refrigerators are:

They will break at the most inopportune time... 3 day weekend or the day before Thanksgiving. Too many claims of hundreds of dollars of food spoilage.

Parts are expensive... some of the glass shelves cost $140

Tenants will switch to energy saver mode and wonder why water builds up...

Just something else to clean...

By the way... never ever put an ice maker equipped unit in a rental... you are asking for problems...

Had a tenant kink the line when cleaning and it started leaking... did $1800 damage to the new floor...

Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,535 times
I gotta say...I have never heard of a place being offered for rent without basic appliances.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
I gotta say...I have never heard of a place being offered for rent without basic appliances.
Now that you've read this thread you have!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Here in Brooklyn NY, apartment's must have a fridge and a stove. I have never heard of renters buying a fridge. Here in NY, renters would never do that.....

LL's are lucky they even clean the apartment.....(not all, but a lot)

Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Yeah I'd say the market value...

no cancel that, since it's very very common to find places that come with fridges - most places do. It's not a matter of market value as it is with hassle

I'd say you should expect to lower your price by $50-$100 month. It's all about the hassle of dealing with a fridge. Cost of buying it. Moving it around is hard/expensive. Then if he wants to move into a place later that already has a fridge, it's time consuming to sell. As a customer I'd demand at least like $50/month less. I don't want to deal with all that crap

Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
I'd say you should expect to lower your price by $50-$100 month. It's all about the hassle of dealing with a fridge. Cost of buying it. Moving it around is hard/expensive. Then if he wants to move into a place later that already has a fridge, it's time consuming to sell. As a customer I'd demand at least like $50/month less. I don't want to deal with all that crap
Just to play Devil's Advocate, there are obviously some jurisdictions where some rental units have to include such as stove and refrigerator but when you're dealing with an unfurnished/partially furnished unit in an area where there aren't such requirements, it's just as much of a hassle to remove your own furnishings upon quit with a refrigerator being just another item on the list. As a prospective tenant, your "demanding" a rent reduction on a place which clearly doesn't supply one probably wouldn't meet with much of a favorable response in general. The asking price of a rental is obviously contingent upon whether or not certain furnishings are provided, with a fully furnished unit obviously commanding a higher price than one which is unfurnished. If you want a 'fridge supplied then don't look at a place which doesn't supply one. Simple.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Here in Brooklyn NY, apartment's must have a fridge and a stove. I have never heard of renters buying a fridge. Here in NY, renters would never do that.....

LL's are lucky they even clean the apartment.....(not all, but a lot)
Normal for apartments. Not for a HOUSE, which is what the OP is referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting