Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,261,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I wouldn't give a LL a key to my apartment EVER.

I would be home however, if certain repairs have to be made.

I don't care what people say, i do not believe in giving out keys.
What....You don't own the place you rent, the LL does. Better see the posts regarding the tenant changing locks w/out notifying LL. You better give them a key, and you better had not changed the locks w/out notice and permission.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM

673 posts, read 2,719,204 times
Quote:
Not here in Brooklyn NY it is not a law.

LL's here never get keys from tenants.

Our building has 32 apartments and the LL does not have anyone's key nor ever requested them, and he owns 5 buildings.

Now a private house with an apartment that I can understand more....

Apparently your LL chooses not to exercise the right.

NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,135,266 times
Quote:

Our building has 32 apartments and the LL does not have anyone's key nor ever requested them, and he owns 5 buildings.

You are incorrect. That the LL does not have anyone's key nor requested them does not change the law. IF the LL requests the keys, they must be given - according to NY statute:

New York State's Multiple Dwelling Law, Section 51-C, gives tenants the right to install and maintain a separate lock from the original installed by the building, but the law also requires that the tenant provide a duplicate key to the landlord or the landlord's agent, if it is requested.

citation: TenantNet :: View topic - Your keys and the Landlord; Access issues

Just because your LL had not requested the keys in any of his 5 buildings does not change the law. And the last time I checked, Brooklyn is still part of NYC. NY State Code applies unless the city code is more stringent. Absent finding this issue addressed specifically in city statutes, the state code applies.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times
Quote:

From the NY tenants rights guide:

[SIZE=3]Tenants in multiple dwellings can install and maintain their own locks on their apartment entrance doors in addition to the lock supplied by the landlord. The lock may be no more than three inches in circumference, and tenants must provide their landlord with a duplicate key upon request. Failure to provide the landlord with a duplicate key if requested can be construed as a violation of a substantial obligation of the tenancy, and can possibly lead to eviction proceedings.
[/SIZE]

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM

18,486 posts, read 31,694,560 times
well, our LL does not request them, so that is a good thing, besides my apartment is co-op, I own it, so no one is certainly getting a key.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
well, our LL does not request them, so that is a good thing, besides my apartment is co-op, I own it, so no one is certainly getting a key.
This article is from 1996 so I don't know if it is still true, but a co-op still has to provide a key if asked.

TenantNet :: View topic - Your keys and the Landlord; Access issues

When it comes to key security, most co-op shareholders and other tenants have no choice but to trust in their building manager. That's because New York state law requires tenants to provide landlords with duplicate keys, if requested. Whether that key goes into a locked box in the superintendent's office, hangs in an open cabinet next to the doorman or is placed in a high-tech key management system depends on building policy.

Upper East Side co-op shareholder Linda Stromberg learned this lesson the hard way over the past year, as she waged a losing battle with her co-op board to retain control over the keys to her apartment. While her case may not be typical, it points to the troubling problem of key security.

It's the Law -- New York State's Multiple Dwelling Law, Section 51-C, gives tenants the right to install and maintain a separate lock from the original installed by the building, but the law also requires that the tenant provide a duplicate key to the landlord or the landlord's agent, if it is requested. Most co-op boards, through their regulations and proprietary leases also require shareholders to provide duplicate keys.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This article is from 1996 so I don't know if it is still true, but a co-op still has to provide a key if asked.

TenantNet :: View topic - Your keys and the Landlord; Access issues

When it comes to key security, most co-op shareholders and other tenants have no choice but to trust in their building manager. That's because New York state law requires tenants to provide landlords with duplicate keys, if requested. Whether that key goes into a locked box in the superintendent's office, hangs in an open cabinet next to the doorman or is placed in a high-tech key management system depends on building policy.

Upper East Side co-op shareholder Linda Stromberg learned this lesson the hard way over the past year, as she waged a losing battle with her co-op board to retain control over the keys to her apartment. While her case may not be typical, it points to the troubling problem of key security.

It's the Law -- New York State's Multiple Dwelling Law, Section 51-C, gives tenants the right to install and maintain a separate lock from the original installed by the building, but the law also requires that the tenant provide a duplicate key to the landlord or the landlord's agent, if it is requested. Most co-op boards, through their regulations and proprietary leases also require shareholders to provide duplicate keys.

I am lucky then that our LL doesn't require us to give keys, because I wouldn't anyway.

Besides what are they going to do, punish me...

I also don't care care what NYC laws and regulations or whatever, no one is getting a key to my apartment, not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

if there is an emergency such as a fire, they dont need my keys, the fire dept is fully capable of breaking down the door.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM

besides, do you think for one minute that I am going to trust the dumbell super of my building with a key to my apartment................umm, guess again...

Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,237,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Well I don't really understand your thought here, but regardless... the repairman (bussiness) will schedule with landlord (business) so what's the problem? The tenant (general public?) does not need to be there unless they choose to be.
Commenting on the intial issue of this thread, I cannot believe that a landlord agreed to not have keys to his own property. I'm aware that there are some ll out there who will appear unannounced, but they are such a small % ... if you end up dealing with one, you get out of the situation. You don't "deny" the owner of property keys. Well, I guess you do if they let you
Until stuff turns up missing and the LL is dealing with a theft law suit. When I become a tenant I will have renters insurance but I will also have cameras and if a theft occures because the LL let in a "handy man" I will get criminal charges on the "handyman" but will also pursue civily the LL who let him in to compensate me for my time in having to deal with the issue if the LL did not insure that the "handyman" was licenced and bonded.

If the LL wants to limit their liability then thoes are not reasonable hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.