Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Can a landlord file a credit report claim against a tenant for non-payment of rent and damages, without first getting a legal judgment against them? I have had conflicting advice regarding this, but have not been able to find anyway to do this through the credit reporting agencies.

It seems odd that a cell-phone company can report non-payment on a credit report without going to court first, but a landlord cannot.

I have had one landlord advice that by hiring a credit collection company they were able to make a claim on the tenant's credit report, but I don't know if this is true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Yes.

You need to know the "rules" or as some put it, pay the piper!!!!

#1 rule is under the credit law, rent is not a debt and isn;t reportable unless the services have been provided and not paid for. So if your rent period is a full month, and you collect at the start of that period for the full period, until that full month has pass, the tenant has not received the full services that rent payment covers so its not a debt.

As a single landlord or PMC, odds are the cost and process of becoming a member reporting subscriber to a credit reporting agency is just way to expensive and time consuming.

The go arounds are:
1. Turn the debt over to a collection agency and have them file the report.
2. Get a judgement and have the judgement show up on the credit report.
3. Join a organization (like a state landlord association) that is a member reporting company or has the benefit of a third party service available to you.
4. Change the due date of the rent to the day after the month its for.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I agree it is costly to report it...BUT it will be automatically show up on a background check if you sue the person which we always due...

Read my report about "Warning, another winner"...

The rental place mentioned there also reported all the months of non-payment and the entire court case showed up on their report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting