Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 PM

948 posts, read 3,359,326 times

Advertisements

My neighbor owns a property directly behind me. The house is rented to probably 4 guys from what I can tell. All weekend drinkers in their 30's. Tonight is a drinking game theme party with funnels and stupid games.

I finally had enough and went to talk to my neighbor, the owner/landlord of the property. I asked him if he would consider a noise clause in his lease (I had brought this up to him a while ago. I even offered to find him some military guys for renters who would respect his property and pay onetime. He never asked about it so he's obviously not interested) He got offended telling me that just because it wasn't my type of party doesn't' mean anything. Said they have a right to be outside. He said he could do nothing more than call the police. He was quite a jerk to me. I get that they have rights but these are ongoing parties right out of a frat house.

I do call the police yet the parties go on and on. Can anyone give any useful input on what to do next? What can I do to get through to the landlord? Btw, the house is a real dump. Any chance the health dept would be interested in the shamble condition?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,804,175 times
Call code enforcement....keep calling the cops, but if they are just talking or playing games outside that is not a crime, maybe annoying but nothing else can be done.

We had it at one rental we managed and neighbors made tons of pics to show the alcohol, etc. but the cops stated that they all slept over and they are allowed to sit in the back yard and talk all night even though it is annoying if they don't play loud music, there is nothing the cops could against talking outside all night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
My neighbor owns a property directly behind me. The house is rented to probably 4 guys from what I can tell. All weekend drinkers in their 30's. Tonight is a drinking game theme party with funnels and stupid games.

I finally had enough and went to talk to my neighbor, the owner/landlord of the property. I asked him if he would consider a noise clause in his lease (I had brought this up to him a while ago. I even offered to find him some military guys for renters who would respect his property and pay onetime. He never asked about it so he's obviously not interested) He got offended telling me that just because it wasn't my type of party doesn't' mean anything. Said they have a right to be outside. He said he could do nothing more than call the police. He was quite a jerk to me. I get that they have rights but these are ongoing parties right out of a frat house.

I do call the police yet the parties go on and on. Can anyone give any useful input on what to do next? What can I do to get through to the landlord? Btw, the house is a real dump. Any chance the health dept would be interested in the shamble condition?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM

912 posts, read 5,266,915 times
So long as they are not being obnoxious, they are within their right to party it up all night long.

By obnoxious, I mean, loudly playing music outside, having a live-band play, screaming, fighting, breaking bottles, ect.

If its just some people responsibly enjoying a gathering, there is not much you can do. Just close the windows, turn on a fan and get some ear plugs.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,142,828 times
Have you tried talking to the renters?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
If they aren't breaking any laws/ordinances there isn't much you can do. And really why should you be able to? And it isn't like a LL can just make changes to a lease at any point anyway. They would have to wait for a lesae renewal.

What exactly bothers you? The noise?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,858 times
I don't think it is the landlord's job to tell them not to party and make noise. Maybe in an apartment complex, but not in a house.

When your lease is up, move. If he asks why, tell him its because of the noisy neighbors.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM

192 posts, read 827,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I don't think it is the landlord's job to tell them not to party and make noise. Maybe in an apartment complex, but not in a house.

When your lease is up, move. If he asks why, tell him its because of the noisy neighbors.
I don't think the OP is a renter. When the OP references "landlord," s/he means the landlord of the property with the noisy renters. Makes it a lot harder to move.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkiktd View Post
I don't think the OP is a renter. When the OP references "landlord," s/he means the landlord of the property with the noisy renters. Makes it a lot harder to move.
Yeah, I just went back and reread the post and you're right. I thought the "landlord" owned the OP's house and the party house.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
Maybe you could get the other neighbors together and start a petition about the noise and the condition of the house, which undoubtedly brings down your property values in your neighborhood. The neighbor/landlord sounds like a real jerk, it might take drastic measures like I've mentioned.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,359,862 times
If the noise is actually loud, the police should be able to issue fines or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting