Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,556 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. I finally found a place to rent that allowed me to keep my pets, everything about the place is perfect in my eyes. I've done quite a few things to the place and I wanted to know if it was normal. Things such as painting, patching holes, changed melted outlets/switches, replace shower head, sand and paint cabinets, change blinds, etc. Mind you this is not cosmetic stuff but safety issues especially with the outlets that were covered in grease.

There's also a HUGE stump that nearly blocks my exit with caution tape around it and lines sticking up from the ground. I've told the PM about and they are waiting on a contract.

I don't expect my first place to be perfect just wondering the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
In a nutshell... Landlords are required in my State to provide a residential dwelling that is deemed habitable under State Law and in compliance with local laws which in my city requires a business license, registration with the rent board and a zoning clearance affirming the unit is "Legal"

The above is absolute and everything else is subject to negotiation... best done prior to accepting the unit with all promises in writing and part of the rental agreement.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
There is no "norm", it can vary enormously. Most professional landlords try to uphold reasonable standards, but some places are severely lacking. I assume you were able to inspect the place before you agreed to rent it. State laws often define "habitability" which rarely includes any of the problems you described unless there truly was an electrical hazard. I've never seen switches and outlets melt, so I'm not sure what you are referring to there. You could have some liability if you replaced them and there is a problem later. I hope you had permission to do the work, some leases prohibit modifications such as changing blinds and painting.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,186 times
You did electrical work and sanded and painted cabinets in a home you don't own? Not good...

Good luck when you move out. And let's hope for your sake there are no electrical fires while you live there, or after you move out.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Yes, anything reasonable whould be done that affects health, safety, making sure everything works properly. New carpets & painting every 2-3 yrs or depending on the condition &/or # of tenants had.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,556 times
Seems to be some misunderstanding. Yes I did the inspection twice prior to move in, its just everyone at the office seems to think she's not taking care of the place. I beg to differ other than the water most of which is just cosmetic.

The place is fine I'm just talking "Normal" wear and tear. I didn't sand the cabinets but the shelves that were covered in a sticky residue left by the previous tennant. Apprenlty they had poor quality shelf covers that left a lot of film even after removing them. So I cleaned, sanded, and painted the interior shelves.

As for the outlets some of there were melted or burned out and did not work. The one that was covered in grease worried me the most.

Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting