Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 AM

25 posts, read 62,809 times

Advertisements

The condo I rent sold at foreclosure auction last Tuesday. I am waiting for contact from the new owner (Bank of America). I am a month to month tenant in Florida.

The property manager (small time realtor/friend of owner) has my deposit in escrow. He claims to be surprised by the foreclosure sale and thinks that by contacting BofA that he will remain property manager. How often does that happen? I was under the impression that BofA doesn't want to deal with tenants.

Title to the property should switch over by the end of this week and I expect the eviction process to start at that point. I was told by a scout for the broker prior to the auction that I would have to be out pretty quickly but have since found out that I should be given 90 days. I really only need about 20.

Two questions:

The person to whom I paid my deposit no longer owns the unit. He is not entitled to a walk through or to have any further say in what happens here. How do I get my deposit from him? He told me it is in an escrow account so I know he has it.

Has anyone dealt with a cash for keys situation? The scout alluded that his client would be willing to pay me to leave in a timely manner.

On another note, I am glad that I was able to do the research involved in dealing with this situation and feel very sorry for people who go through this.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
Default 2009 Tenant Eviction Law

In 2009 a law was passed that through the end of 2014 the bank must honor existing leases up to a maximum of 90 days after foreclosure. In your case, you have a month to month, so they must give you a months notice to move out. Here is the link to the law:

http://www.occ.gov/publications/publ...dbook/ptfa.pdf

If the old landlord files you on his bankruptsy, you may not get the deposit back. I would ask him to send it to you now or if you could simply skip a months rent, since he will not own the property when you move out.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lora01oh View Post
The condo I rent sold at foreclosure auction last Tuesday. I am waiting for contact from the new owner (Bank of America). I am a month to month tenant in Florida.

The property manager (small time realtor/friend of owner) has my deposit in escrow. He claims to be surprised by the foreclosure sale and thinks that by contacting BofA that he will remain property manager. How often does that happen? I was under the impression that BofA doesn't want to deal with tenants.

Title to the property should switch over by the end of this week and I expect the eviction process to start at that point. I was told by a scout for the broker prior to the auction that I would have to be out pretty quickly but have since found out that I should be given 90 days. I really only need about 20.

Two questions:

The person to whom I paid my deposit no longer owns the unit. He is not entitled to a walk through or to have any further say in what happens here. How do I get my deposit from him? He told me it is in an escrow account so I know he has it.

Has anyone dealt with a cash for keys situation? The scout alluded that his client would be willing to pay me to leave in a timely manner.

On another note, I am glad that I was able to do the research involved in dealing with this situation and feel very sorry for people who go through this.

Thank you for your time!
On a month to month you are still entitled to 90 days notice. Now..they obviously want you out sooner if they mentioned cash for keys. So try to negotiate for CFK since you only need 20.. Could be a great boost of funds for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting