Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM

329 posts, read 434,513 times

Advertisements

guys

I'm fed up with my landlord winning the negotiation game every year - I'm paying over market rent and he's again increasing by 4% - I've even confirmed other same line apts in the bldg pay lower rent with the tenants themselves but the landlord won't budge

I'm thinking of simply faxing them a letter stating I'm vacating as of Oct 15 and see their reaction. I don't want to leave the apt (for the simple reason that I hate to move) so if they don't get back to me after my fax, can I call them 2-3 days later and tell them I'm staying and agree to the increase? Or can they legally get me out? Even if they get someone to pay this rent, I guess it'll take them at least 1 month's rent to clean up the apt in labor, a few days of vacancy. Right?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM

774 posts, read 1,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
I guess it'll take them at least 1 month's rent to clean up the apt in labor
Wouldn't that come out of your deposit?

Keep in mind that the inflation rate is at about 3%, and the rents may be rising even faster in some locations.

It's possible that you told your landlord that you hate moving, so he's using it against you. In the words of the Godfather, never tell anyone outside the family what you are thinking!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
If you send a letter saying you plan to move, then you should move. Dont send a letter in order to attempt to negotiate and then change your mind. they could charge you money if you change your mind or they could say "sorry, we already re-rented, you are moving. Bye".

As far as cleaning, you should clean the place so that it is ready for the person to move in. Otherwise, they take money from your security deposit because you left it unclean.

You should consider moving to the other apartments if you think they are a better deal (market rate ) and if you are paying above market.

It's not that much of a hassle to move: You hire movers. Call some and get quotes. It's cheaper than you think. Don't move your own furniture....hire movers. You can pack things in boxes yourself, or you can hire the movers to do that.

Your big task will be to find a new place to live. Sounds like you already did that. Then your other big task is cutting off your utilities and current rental and signing up for new utilities at new rental. And changing your address.

See how easy that was?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Look for a new place to live. When you find one and like it enough to sign the lease, phone the LL and tell her that you have found another place, but will stay if you guys can all agree on $XXX as your new rent. Be prepared to move but this could work.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
It seems that you're cutting this very close to the line if you're planning on threatening to move on October 15 and it's already September 11th. I don't know when you got the notice of the rent increase but the better plan would have been to sit down with your landlord as soon as you received it and calmly and quietly discussed the situation to try and reach a compromise.

Given the time constrictions and depending on both your lease terms, state landlord tenant laws and the current renting history of the complex, this likely will backfire on you. If you've created so much mess/damage in the place that it'll take the LL a month to fix, be prepared for not only your security deposit being withheld but a demand for additional monies which may end up in a court date.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
I'm fed up with my landlord winning the negotiation game every year -
I'm paying over market rent and he's again increasing by 4%
Are you? In almost every area of the country there is a shortage of rentals; quality rentals especially.
The demand end, among qualified tenants has pushed rates up everywhere.

So before you go off half cocked... be sure you KNOW what your options really are.
And what those options will really cost you before assuming or imputing too much.
Be sure to account for how the utility expenses play out as well.

A 4% increase on a $1000 unit comes out to $40per month or $480 for the year.
How much would it cost you to move?

Quote:
Even if they get someone to pay this rent, I guess it'll take them at least 1 month's
rent to clean up the apt in labor, a few days of vacancy. Right?
Maybe. More likely is that they'll get someone new in at an even higher rate than you pay.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 AM

329 posts, read 434,513 times
How much does it typically cost a landlord when a tenant moves out on a $1000 apt? I've been here 11 yrs while tenants average out 2-3 yrs in this bldg

Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
How much does it typically cost a landlord when a tenant moves out on a $1000 apt?
It doesn't cost them anything. You have already paid that money.
Turnover is an already allocated part of their ordinary operating expenses.

Quote:
I've been here 11 yrs...
It's probably time to move on.
But if you don't want to move far then ask them to move you into a FRESH unit in that building.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's probably time to move on.
But if you don't want to move far then ask them to move you into a FRESH unit in that building.
I'm not sure why you would say that, "it's probably time to move on". It's not unusual for tenants to stay in a place for donkey's years. The issue is really the OP's communication (or lack of) with the LL/PMC.

Most landlords would welcome the continued occupancy of a tenant who pays rent on time and takes care of the place rather than going through the hassle of continually re-renting after short periods. But the longtime tenant also has to keep up with changes. 11 years go I doubt there were the plethora of landlord tenant laws which exist today in most states and I'm guessing that the OP isn't aware of the various laws which not only protect the landlord but also the tenant.

That's why I suggested he needs to sit down and talk with the LL rather than throw out a letter of intention to quit when, in my opinion, the odds are that it'll backfire on him.

Not sure why the LL would move him into a "fresh" unit in the same complex. That went completely over my head.

Sam007, hone up on your state landlord tenant laws where lease renewals and COL increases are concerned and which laws are probably linked in the first "sticky" on this page.

As MrRational says, it's irrelevant to your situation how much it costs a LL to turn over a vacant apartment. All part of the cost of doing business.

Things change but communication is always key to resolving every dispute. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm not sure why you would say that, "it's probably time to move on".
Several reasons: An intuitive sense about their frustration continuing to remain there.
And my belief that long term tenants will eventually become a PITA.

My suspicion is that the PM staff or company and their policies have changed...
and that everyone involved will benefit from some fresh air.

Quote:
Not sure why the LL would move him into a "fresh" unit in the same complex.
That went completely over my head.
I didn't say the management would... I said the OP should ASK about it.
After 11 years in place the OP's unit is likely overdue for freshening work.

But rather than to do all of that freshening work (paint, carpet shampoo, appliances, etc) while the
tenant remains there... that the OP should explore their options to get those benefits that they have
paid for for themselves... rather than for the benefit of the next tenant after they leave.

Also the reality check to see how much a fresh unit of comparable size in the same building will cost.
This one specific dollar figure should put all the rest into full perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting