Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 02:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

A Navy veteran says he’s being evicted from his Oregon apartment complex for displaying an American flag on Navy Day.

The apartment management company delivered the eviction notice to Edward Zivica after he hung the Old Glory in a common area at the Springfield, Ore., complex, KVAL.com reported. If he doesn't agree to refrain from any more such flag displays, the complex told him, it's anchors aweigh by midnight Nov. 29.

Read more: Navy Vet Gets Eviction Notice After Hanging American Flag On Navy Day | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,266 times
I think these complex's go futher with this stuff than needed .. an eviction? I understand the all or none rule BUT with these vets its wiser and easier to ingore the ONE DAY they put up a flag to honor their nations past .. Getting heavy handed like this is just a tad much. Just how many days is it likely to be hung and by how many residents?
Stuff like this makes the complex's look unamerican and hateful towards the old guys .. I think the pole needs to be adjusted and set up for the folks to use it properly ..

Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,226 times
It's a sad day when you can't hang the American Flag in America.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,187 times
When you live in an apartment complex, you do not get to hang decorations in the common areas, not even flags. They are threatening him with eviction because he's done it multiple times. Unless his lease forbids it, he is probably allowed to hang the flag from his own apartment, say his balcony or his window or little flags on his front door or something. I can't believe a Navy veteran would just pin a flag up to a soffit like that, how tacky - and disrespectful to the flag, especially when a proper flagpole is available. So what, it won't go to half mast, neither can the building's roof!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,712 times
And that is the essence of the freedom that this gentleman and so many more brave man and women fought to protect.

The freedom to own property, make your rules, then rent said property and uphold the rules that you have made up.

More likely, this gentleman signed an agreement. As much as I disagree with the course of action being taken in this case, I can't not support it.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
We have a specific policy on flags, banners and political signs. Some are due to local ordinances others are to avoid impact on other residents. Example a tenant can hang one flag of up to 3'X4' from their porch in an approved pole. They can not hang them inside the windows. They can post political signs in their windows for limited periods during elections. We try to be reasonable and fair.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM

38 posts, read 73,115 times
He broke the house rules so he's lucky he's getting a warning. I would have just fined him and then put a lien on his unit when he didn't pay it. I served in Vietnam and I obey the law. People who do things to cause trouble and grab attention should get a spanking.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
That's not an eviction. An eviction is a legal procedure where the tenant is taken to court and the judge orders him out and the sheriff enforces it.

That was a notice to remove the flag or he would receive his 30 day notice to vacate.

Sometimes apartments have rules against all flags because occasionally someone will think they have the right to fly an offensive flag. The guy who wants to fly his swastika files a law suit because he was told to take his flag down when the neighbor on one side has a flag with an iris on it and the neighbor on the other side has an American flag, which proves that flags are permitted and he is being discriminated against and his freedom of speech violated.

Stupid, right? Blame our legal system that allows such ridiculous lawsuits.

I also suspect that the tenant had caused trouble in other ways. That's a very good way to make your landlord a lot less tolerant of what you do. For one thing, he ran straight to the press to complain he was being evicted, when he is not. Makes him look like a troublemaker to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting