Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 27,613 times

Advertisements

I know you all probably have your opinions on the matter, but please hear me out.

I'm living in a townhouse. 3 months into the lease I get a 20 pound rescue dog - the policy is that you're supposed to tell the LL's. If you don't tell the LL's you get a dog, it's considered a breach of contract AND you get a 75 dollar fine slapped on there too. When you get a dog, they write in an additional charge (in our case 500 dollars) and 15 dollar pet rent into your lease - in my mind, since it's not actually typed or written on my lease, it should be negotiable. The general lease says nothing about a pet fee or pet rent, because these LLs own so many properties. I looked at their other properties, and all the other ones have 200 dollar non refundable pet deposits. They are in different areas, but why am I being charged 300 dollars more than everyone else?

So I didn't tell them about the dog (I know I screwed myself over in some respect). They want 575 dollars by tomorrow, or they say they will take me to court. I don't have 575 dollars right now to just hand over.

My dog has done no damages so far. I'm a responsible pet owner. He's well behaved, gets along with the neighbors, RARELY BARKS (our next door neighbor's schnauzer will bark all night). I don't know what to do. The LL's won't have to replace the carpet after I move out - and if they do, they're full of it.

What I would like out of this is a compromise - they should lower the cost or let me pay in installments or something.

I live in North Carolina, and I'm thinking about taking this to the NC Supreme Court.

Any opinions, thoughts, suggestions? I know these threads are everywhere, but I thought I would start a new one to keep the conversation going.

Last edited by Just!ce; 10-19-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
It's in the lease you signed. Sorry but it's quite black and white. You could consider an attorney if you'd like.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM

680 posts, read 1,920,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just!ce View Post
I know you all probably have your opinions on the matter, but please hear me out.

I'm living in a townhouse. 3 months into the lease I get a 20 pound rescue dog - the policy is that you're supposed to tell the LL's that you have a dog, pay a 500 dollar "non refundable" pet deposit, and start to pay a 15 dollar pet rent. If you don't tell the LL's you get a dog, it's considered a breach of contract AND you get a 75 dollar fine slapped on there too.

So I didn't tell them about the dog (I know I screwed myself over in some respect). They want 575 dollars by tomorrow, or they say they will take me to court. I don't have 575 dollars right now to just hand over.

My dog has done no damages so far. I'm a responsible pet owner. He's well behaved, gets along with the neighbors, RARELY BARKS (our next door neighbor's schnauzer will bark all night). I don't know what to do. The LL's won't have to replace the carpet after I move out - and if they do, they're full of it.

What I would like out of this is a compromise - they should lower the cost or let me pay in installments or something.

I live in North Carolina, and I'm thinking about taking this to the NC Supreme Court.

Any opinions, thoughts, suggestions? I know these threads are everywhere, but I thought I would start a new one to keep the conversation going.
Why didn't you tell the landlord before you brought the dog into the home? You knew that this was their policy... and you STILL did it?!?!

Sorry... this is totally on YOU... You owe the money. You signed the lease. Why should they compromise?

Be fortunate that they are even giving you an opportunity to keep the dog by allowing you to pay the fee instead of forcing you to remove the dog.

However...

Have you simply asked them if you can make payments?
Can you take a cash advance from your credit card?
Can you borrow money from someone?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 27,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
It's in the lease you signed. Sorry but it's quite black and white. You could consider an attorney if you'd like.
I forgot to mention that neither the pet rent nor the non refundable fee is actually in the rent. It's just something they write in as "additional charges" on the day you sign the lease. So it's not in our lease at all. I don't know if that does anything for my case at all.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
it's an addendum to the lease. It's in the lease. Ask the LL if you can make payments or if you can't afford the dog, return it to the shelter.
You made the mistake, the Supreme Court will not see it in your favor.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just!ce
I'm living in a townhouse.
3 months into the lease I get a 20 pound rescue dog -
Uh oh. this will not end well

the policy is that you're supposed to ask the LL's ...
in advance of doing X or ask the LL for specific permission
(and if they have any sense animal specific permission)

If you don't tell the LL's you get a dog, it's considered a breach of contract
it is

AND you get a 75 dollar fine slapped on there too.
you're lucky if you don't get evicted

When you get a dog, they write in an additional charge (in our case 500 dollars)
and 15 dollar pet rent into your lease
More than reasonable to have a damage fee structure.

The general lease says nothing about a pet fee or pet rent,
would you rather be evicted?

...and all the other ones have 200 dollar non refundable pet deposits.
but why am I being charged 300 dollars more than everyone else?
you didn't ask permission first?
you chose a dog with a questionable socialization history?
want more?

They want 575 dollars by tomorrow, or they say they will take me to court.
I don't have 575 dollars right now to just hand over.
pay or quit is the legal term
your choice

I don't know what to do.
pay or quit... that's your choice

Any opinions, thoughts, suggestions?
I think that's rather well covered.

hth

ps I'm a dog guy

Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
I'm an LL and a 100% dog-person. (have two myself)

You are not ready to "rescue" a dog from anywhere if you can't be bothered to arrange a place to keep them before hand.

Looks like you screwed the pooch with this one. Big time.

Pay up. Move out. Or grow up and avoid these self-created problems.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
The reason you are being charged more is probably as incentive to get people to remember to ASK FIRST. If you had asked, they very possibly could have agreed, and only charged you the normal pet fee. But you chose to not play by the rules, and did what the lease specifically told you not to do. Now you have to pay the consequences, literally.

I totally understand why they do this. The tenants who have called me up and asked if they could get a dog, are usually good responsible pet owners and responsible tenants. The tenants who have gone out and gotten a dog without talking to us first almost always end up either getting evicted, or else they get a large damage bill at move out, not necessarily because of the pet, but just because they are generally irresponsible. I have seen it many times. (We have had move out bills of $15k and $10k for two tenants who got puppies without asking, so we have definitely been down that road before)

Your choices are to give the dog back, or to pay the money, or possibly to break the lease and move out, which likely will still involve paying some money. Talk to your LL and see if they have any thoughts on options.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just!ce View Post
I'm thinking about taking this to the NC Supreme Court.

Are you drunk?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you drunk?
I've nothing to add where the legalities are concerned as that's already been covered, but I'm certainly going along with this comment. Who even thinks about going to the state Supreme Court when nothing has even be filed yet in small claims court?

And I couldn't agree more with CarlitosBala where the dog is concerned. Never mind, "I know I screwed myself over in some respect". If you don't remedy the damage you've already caused, the dog is going to be the one who's screwed over - and simply because you decided that the rules weren't yours to follow. I hope you come back and advise how this works out for you and the dog. If I were in your shoes I'd be down on my knees begging for a reprieve from the property managers and making any sort of a deal I could rather than planning a trip to the Supreme Court. Good grief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting