Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 AM

396 posts, read 439,532 times

Advertisements

Hi- I just moved into a rental in NYS. It is a single family home and we are paying $4000 per month. I was disgusted upon our move in date two days ago. The house was filthy. We were told by agent the house would be cleaned. There are so many issues I am disgusted by- but the primary one is- there are custom blinds in the home. They are filthy and old. I did not realize until we moved in and rolled down to see dozens upon dozens of dead bed bugs (or some other nasty bugs) and blood stains on the blinds. It is disgusting. I told the landlord who just shrugged and said it was my problem- not his. I feel the house should be fumigated if there are lingering bugs and the blinds should be discarded and professionally cleaned at his expense. Besides that- we found that all the baseboards have been urinated on by a cat or dog or both. I know we should have inspected further before signing a lease- but it was a rushed decsion and time was of the essence. I am so disgusted and even more disgusted by the price we are paying for this. Landlord has said these are not his problems- that its "my house now" and I can do as I please. I dont feel like I should have to clean up his house for him- when it was promised beforehand. Is it my responsibility to get house fumigated and professionally cleaned. The smell of urine is awful- even my movers made mention of it. I feel so stupid for signing this lease. We are in the house for two days now. if there are dead bedbugs- is it possible there are live ones around- AGH?!?! also- smoke detectors are about 30 years old, none of the bedroom doors close, etc etc. Landlord states i took the house "as is"- advice???? thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Rental- possible old bedbugs?-photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by jego914; 09-15-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,896,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post

1. We were told by agent the house would be cleaned. ...I dont feel like I should have to clean up his house for him- when it was promised beforehand.

2. I feel the house should be fumigated if there are lingering bugs and the blinds should be discarded and professionally cleaned at his expense. ... ... if there are dead bedbugs- is it possible there are live ones around?

3. ... smoke detectors are about 30 years old

4. I know we should have inspected further before signing a lease- but it was a rushed decsion and time was of the essence.

1. Was this in writing, i.e. do you have any written proof at all that it was promised - a text, email?

2. If there are piles of dead bugs (I question that they're bedbugs as those are miniscule - more likely baby roaches) then likely the place was already fumigated which is why there are so many dead ones around.

3. Do they work?

4. Exactly.

You may want to carefully read your state landlord tenant laws which you'll find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum and see the process you're legally required to follow to report maintenance issues. You are also well advised to take plenty of dated photographs of the place before you start cleaning up. It's wise to do this where any rental is concerned to save you from the possibility of bogus deductions being made from your security deposit when your tenancy is over. You do the same thing when you move out to avoid disputes.

Re the photo you posted after my response, those aren't bedbugs but appear to be roaches.

Last edited by STT Resident; 09-15-2014 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Added note

Old 09-16-2014, 10:35 AM

Thanks STT Resident for your response

No- dont have written proof- just a realtor stating such and a expectation that a home would be cleaned before a resident moved in- especially considering the rental price to be paid. Dont think I was expecting too much.

And no- the smoke detectors do not work. I have gone ahead and installed new ones.

Re: the photo. They are def not roaches- having lived in NYC most of my life- I know what roaches look like. I believe w great certainty- they are adult size bedbugs and I am sooooo disgusted by their presence, whether dead or not- in my home.

The longer I stay in this rental- the more issues I unveil, faulty electrical outlets, mold, etc etc.

and the smell....cat urine. I am not sure I will ever rid of the smell- no matter how much bleach I use.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:52 AM

3,079 posts, read 5,522,296 times
Lesson learned..never trust a NY landlord..

Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 AM

830 posts, read 1,547,781 times
Just to reassure you about one of the issues - I can say with almost complete certainty that those are not bed bugs. I experienced bed bugs in university housing (seriously the biggest nightmare of my life) and that is not what they look like. My only hesitation is that the photo is not the clearest, but from what I can see, they don't look like bed bugs. Are they winged? Is one different from the others? It's hard to tell... one looks like it has long antennae and long legs.

IF they were bed bugs, yes I would worry about live ones remaining - they are almost impossible to get rid of. But, it would be very unlikely they'd be living in window blinds in such massive quantities (or even in the house in such massive quantities), too. The "blood" stains are not necessarily blood - could be shellac excreted from some kind of beetle, or even water stains. They could be some sort of ladybug-like beetle.

Nevertheless yes, you have a creepy and difficult situation.

Last edited by cowbell76; 09-16-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 01:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,896,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Just to reassure you about one of the issues - I can say with almost complete certainty that those are not bed bugs.
And I'll restate my opinion that they're baby roaches. I live in the Caribbean where roaches of all shapes and sizes abound and these (despite the fuzzy picture) look exactly like the babies I've dealt with on and off for many years. Definitely NOT bedbugs.

Have you read the NYS landlord tenant laws to see how you need to address maintenance/health/mold issues? Do so, otherwise you're just going to end up running in circles.

These are all things you should have checked out before you signed a lease - but you didn't so there's no point harping on it. Now you need to familiarize yourself with the terms of your lease and your state landlord tenant laws to determine exactly how to proceed.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,657,091 times
Those look like the could be bed bugs. They are not poisonous, just gross.

If you pick one up, hold it to the light. Is it red? Do you see these thin reddish stripes going across it? If so, they are most likely bed bugs.

do you see a few clusters of what looks like discarded tan colored wings? Thats another sign of them.

They also might be because they like to hide in materials like wood, wicker, blinds, between the bed frames and mattress.

So please catch one and look at it in the light and see if you see those characteristics, then come back and let me know.

In the meantime, you might just have one big cleaning job to do.

Go to this website for all the info you need to see what it is -

City of Chicago :: Bed Bug Information

Or you can Google "Bedbugs pictures" and you will see some excellent pics. You can then determine what they are.

if you get an exterminator you MUST get one that specializes in the kind of bug you want to destroy. dont just pick anyone.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:42 AM

ChicagoMeo-thanks! yes- they are a reddish color w stripes and there are dried wings on blind as well. I have googled pics and they look like bedbugs. Roaches are more oblong and generally darker in color. I am waiting for a response from my landlord. Do you think it should be his responsibility to have this taken care oif prior to my move in date? I took photos of everything before the movers came. I am worried all of our stuff will have bedbugs now. This is so disgusting. I have also attached another photo of the ceiling. There are waterstains all over ceiling and chipping paint. It is so beyond disgusting. Do I have to accept this or is this a health concern?I appreciate all the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Rental- possible old bedbugs?-photo-1-.jpg  

Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,756,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Those look like the could be bed bugs. They are not poisonous, just gross.

If you pick one up, hold it to the light. Is it red? Do you see these thin reddish stripes going across it? If so, they are most likely bed bugs.

do you see a few clusters of what looks like discarded tan colored wings? Thats another sign of them.

They also might be because they like to hide in materials like wood, wicker, blinds, between the bed frames and mattress.

So please catch one and look at it in the light and see if you see those characteristics, then come back and let me know.
Excellent advice!!!

In the meantime - for the immediate problem - diatomaceous earth can help eradicate bed bugs. It's made of diatoms (really sharp tiny fossils) and slices open the bugs' exoskeletal structure. They don't die instantly, but they do die.

You can buy cups to put around the base of your bed, and put the diatomaceous earth in those cups. That'll slow 'em down at least, and will eventually kill them.

JUST DO NOT BREATHE the diatomaceous earth. That will do harm to your lungs.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 AM

575 posts, read 1,475,151 times
Those definitely look like bed bugs. But, I find it extremely odd they were in the blinds... That, to me, screams infestation. Was the rental agent hired by you or the LL? I would contact them and see what they have to say.

If you need to, get in contact with an attorney about this. I know nothing of NYS LL/tenant laws but you may be able to put rent into escrow. Also, not sure if you can do this in NYS, but I have called the Health Department before and had them come out when my past LL refused to get rid of the roaches in the building (which also happened to be a restaurant on the bottom portion).

EDIT: And just because I'm nosey and a curious person in general... is $4000 a month the going rate for a single family home in NYS!?! I pay under $1000/month with a pet fee and water included for a single family home in Ohio. $4000 is more than we make in a month! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting