Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quick method is to deduct the cost for the portion of your stay the unit was not habitable IF the problem was the owner's responsibility.

What does the habitability statue for this jurisdiction say about heat.

Most will provide a reasonableness standard... as in repair within 24 hours or similar.

Is it something you could have taken care of... as in a simple lighting of a pilot light?

Local Utility will light pilots for free... the catch is they have 72 hours to do it... It is very easy to do and WAS common knowledge for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Thanks for your responses, but none answered the question.

I am in dialogue with the owner and just want to know, what type of discount would be fair to ask? He may deny it and if he does, I'll take it from there.

honestly? None. You were out anything...you were cold..and if you were that cold, you should've left or bought space heaters.

It's exactly like odering a meal, eating the whole thing and then bitching about the meat being tough, the veggies being soggy....you can't complain after the fact, especially since you stayed the whole time.

I dont' doubt the landlord will give you a break, but are you DUE one? No.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
honestly? None. You were out anything...you were cold..and if you were that cold, you should've left or bought space heaters.

It's exactly like odering a meal, eating the whole thing and then bitching about the meat being tough, the veggies being soggy....you can't complain after the fact, especially since you stayed the whole time.

I dont' doubt the landlord will give you a break, but are you DUE one? No.
Disregarded response. No one is asking for opinions as to whether I am due one.

Sorry someone pissed in your cornflakes today.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:

Um, YOU asked our opinions as to what percentage of a discount you should get off the weekly rental. Just because you disagree with Kim in FL's response that the discount should be ZERO doesn't mean you have to be rude.

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, but none answered the question.

I am in dialogue with the owner and just want to know, what type of discount would be fair to ask? He may deny it and if he does, I'll take it from there.
I asked you a bunch of questions, none of which you answered. You didn't give any details about the circumstances of losing heat, which is pretty important info and would help determine what would seem to be fair. Since you clearly STAYED there despite being cold, you weren't out any money. (Again, as I wrote before, it sounds like you were inconvenienced.)

Why not just enjoy the 6.5 days of your vacation instead of spending so much time trying to get money after the fact from the owner? (And what does "I'll take it from there" mean? Are you thinking of suing?!)

Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
I think it depends on whether the problem was something that owner caused or had control of, or if it was just something that happened.

If the heat broke by itself, then sorry, its was an "act of god" and nothing the owner could have done about it. Its just your bad luck.

If the owner turned the heat off, or did something in purpose, then of course, he should remedy that.

Something similar happened to me and a bunch of friends a few years ago. We rented a house in the mountains in the middle of winter for new year, and found out the owner had turned the hot water to the lowest setting possible (under a heavy lock!) in order to save on utilities (during initial walk-through, he stressed many times the importance to save on utilities). We made him pay for it in spades, but there lies the difference.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:

A) You can disregard any response you want, doesn't make them any less right.

B) You did ask for opinions and you're ticked because noone is telling you to demand a total refund.

C) I dont' eat cornflakes.

Carry on....

Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
We rented a place via VRBO for 7 days. We had to go a full 24 hours without heat (in winter, nights dipping to 10 degrees). The owner was traveling and it was 24-hours before the heat was back. (It was very cold inside and since we didn't hear back from owner immediately, we were looking into booking a hotel.)

What percentage of the week rental do you think would be fair?
I would say it would be fair to deduct the difference in what you paid and what the landlord would have been able to collect for the house if he advertised it with no heat.(for the one day). I would say ask for the day free in reality I think you'd be ok with getting 1/2 of the day.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 AM

[quote=karen_in_nh_2012;27731770]Um, YOU asked our opinions as to what percentage of a discount you should get off the weekly rental. Just because you disagree with Kim in FL's response that the discount should be ZERO doesn't mean you have to be rude.

I asked you a bunch of questions, none of which you answered. You didn't give any details about the circumstances of losing heat, which is pretty important info and would help determine what would seem to be fair. Since you clearly STAYED there despite being cold, you weren't out any money. (Again, as I wrote before, it sounds like you were inconvenienced.)

Why not just enjoy the 6.5 days of your vacation instead of spending so much time trying to get money after the fact from the owner? (And what does "I'll take it from there" mean? Are you thinking of suing?!)[/quote]

No doubt it does..that's why they are so mad at that the responses they are getting. They were hoping people would jump on the 'bash the landlord' wagon and encourage them to demand a full weeks refund. Insane.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I would say it would be fair to deduct the difference in what you paid and what the landlord would have been able to collect for the house if he advertised it with no heat.(for the one day). I would say ask for the day free in reality I think you'd be ok with getting 1/2 of the day.
Thanks for your very useful response. There are other details involved: additional neglectful conditions that we did not complain about, as the landlord was away on an emergency. We were quite understanding, although the heat issue was very uncomfortable with the winter weather being in single digits and a house full of little kids. However, now he is withholding part of the deposit due to other things that we had nothing to do with.

Given the above, I am now asking for a partial credit regarding the heat issue.

These details flesh out the story a bit, but at the end of the day, I'm just looking at a figure that would be fair.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Let's you see didn't have heat for 24 hours. So figure out what the one day portion of the rent would be.

However, you ned four things to make a rental habitable- heat, electricity, water ,sewer. Evidently you had three of those things.

So take you one day rental fee and ask for 25 % of that one day's rental fee as what was missing was the heat portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting