Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,664 times

Advertisements

Hey can someone help me ! I have similar issue but it's a 3bedroom and Im living in half of the living room instead of the whole thing because the roommates insisted on keeping some living room the only thing is we got the okay to make a partition wall (that I payed for and everything ) and they initially wanted me to make my room 1/3 of the whole living room but when I measure my bed (twin size) and desk it wouldn't fit and not to mention I have no closet so I would need a dresser the contractor told us to make it half the living room size and now my roommates are trying to make me pay more (the same amount as them) is this fair and what should I do???? SOMEONE Please answer!!! Also they are saying I need to pay more because I didn't make the wall up to where we agreed but on the contract they had me sign there is no specific square footage it just says partition wall for $X amount of rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
There is no possible way anyone can answer your question or help you figure this out. You need to work out your petty problems amongst yourselves or find a new place to live. Sounds like a total nightmare situation to me and on top of it all, I can not believe a LL would allow all of those crazy renovations. What happens when you move out? Does all of that need to be torn down at your expense also?

Even if anyone were to make suggestions it doesn't mean your roommates are going to agree with it so again, you need to figure out something agreeable amongst all of you which should have been done prior to any renovations.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 08-17-2015 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjak22 View Post
I'm moving in with 2 people in a 2 bedroom, so 3 people total. One of them is fine with making the living room their bedroom. I have no clue how much the person in the living room will pay rent. Should I go like 80% of the sq ft of living room plus 1/3 sq ft of all common space? Would appreciate any general estimates.
I agree that the living room person should pay a little less since they don't have a private area that they can close off. You need to use their area to walk thru most likely to exit or to get to the kitchen or dining area.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:43 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I agree that the living room person should pay a little less since they don't have a private area that they can close off. You need to use their area to walk thru most likely to exit or to get to the kitchen or dining area.
You are responding to a poster from 2 years ago. Someone just added to this thread yesterday.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
You are responding to a poster from 2 years ago. Someone just added to this thread yesterday.
Then my valuable info will help people in the future and perhaps the same person should they choose to rerent out their living room in the future.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjak22 View Post
I'm moving in with 2 people in a 2 bedroom, so 3 people total. One of them is fine with making the living room their bedroom. I have no clue how much the person in the living room will pay rent. Should I go like 80% of the sq ft of living room plus 1/3 sq ft of all common space? Would appreciate any general estimates.
Say it is 800 mth rent. I'd charge 300 per bedroom, and 200 for living room. Split utilities equally.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiatialia View Post
Hey can someone help me ! I have similar issue but it's a 3bedroom and Im living in half of the living room instead of the whole thing because the roommates insisted on keeping some living room the only thing is we got the okay to make a partition wall (that I payed for and everything ) and they initially wanted me to make my room 1/3 of the whole living room but when I measure my bed (twin size) and desk it wouldn't fit and not to mention I have no closet so I would need a dresser the contractor told us to make it half the living room size and now my roommates are trying to make me pay more (the same amount as them) is this fair and what should I do???? SOMEONE Please answer!!! Also they are saying I need to pay more because I didn't make the wall up to where we agreed but on the contract they had me sign there is no specific square footage it just says partition wall for $X amount of rent
B.S. I would move. See my response earlier. No way should you be paying the same. But, without knowing what the rent is...it would be hard to get specific about fair amounts.

Plus, since you paid for your own remodel, you certainly should be compensated for that...They can use that later for other tenants. Seriously, you need a fair shake...I hope it works out for you.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiatialia View Post
A partition wall is something you can buy for a couple hundred bucks that folds four ways to break up a space. I'm pretty sure no landlord would allow a wall to be constructed in the middle of a living room, and I don't know any contractors that would agree to do something this stupid.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM

173 posts, read 315,040 times
Sounds like when I was living near San Jose, CA, though there was a bit of an extenuating circumstance (original owner passed away, and the guy who inherited it wanted to move in with all bedrooms full)
Still, with the number of cars parked on the street, the houses there were pretty packed.

Let's just say that I'm not doing that again.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I agree the one in the living room should get something of a discount. If two people shared one bedroom (in a platonic manner), I think they should pay a little less as well.
I kinda of agree here. WHoever is in the living room is going to constantly have people walking through his "room" to get into the other bedrooms, or head to the bathroom or kitchen.

If there are guests over, he will have to deal with them as well. Plus i'd think not having a living room for people to come over and hang out will get old quick. What if living room roommate is feeling sick and wants to go to sleep, but there are guests over watching football?

This might not last well at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting