Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 78,868 times

Advertisements

I'm reaching out to see where everyone prefers to list there properties for rent?

Craigslist seems like the worst of places but it a lot of areas like mine it seems like the only place to find them.

I search on MLS, Craigslist And Zillow but MLS doesn't have a lot, Zillow agents never respond or answer so I'm left with craigslist.

Maybe someone can help with my ongoing search

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 02:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
When I am looking for tenants for the building I manage in Santa Clara, I first contact the law school across the street, and they will post the vacancy on their facebook page. I love law students, and when they respond I know it's not likely there will be any scary criminal types responding. When I advertise on Craigslist, I can get some crazy scary people show up.

If the law school doesn't work, then I list on the off-campus housing page for the entire university (Santa Clara Univ).

If that doesn't work, depending on school year, etc., then I post on Craigslist.

My situation is probably somewhat unique, though, depending on if you are looking for a place in a university town. You can always peruse the off campus housing listings, if the university by you has theirs open to the public. Some will only allow students to sign in to look. But SCU's is open to the public.

When I'm looking for an apartment, and I have been lately as I want to retire (I'm the resident manager here), I only look on Craigslist. I figure I'm smart enough to recognize any scams, and I've only been responding to senior housing facilities anyway, so no scams are likely to happen in that case.

Seems like every property management company and landlord uses Craigslist nowadays, even if they use other options, because it's free to post on Craigslist.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:32 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I use Zillow, Trulia and Padmapper. I have also used Craigslist in the past but it is my last choice and I haven't used it in a long time.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
In some cities the local news station has a web site with Classifieds. In others I have lived in, a local newspaper (the "indie" one) carried the good Classifieds. Just depends on where you are.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-01-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
My family had only one residential property, a couple of commercial properties and an RV lot in a small sparsely populated Texas town but I primarily used signs at the properties and the local Craig's List. Unfortunately, Craig's List now seems to be seriously infested with those sorts who thrive dishonestly in unregulated environments. CL is a great place to widely announce your vacancies but be prepared when they start to contact you. I never allowed emails or texts from CL, only phone calls. And I never placed my telephone number in text form on CL that allows robots to capture it for telemarketing purposes. I post a .jpg photo of the number instead. CL is truly an ether jungle but it works if you have the right safari equipment.

BTW, we sold our rentals.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Craigslist and rentals.com

Old 09-03-2013, 12:02 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I advertise on Craigslist. I like it because I can post pictures and a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting