Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 PM

31 posts, read 236,497 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what are your thoughts on rental property accepting pets.

What is a reasonable pet deposit?

Do you limit the amount of pets allowed in the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,685,668 times
There are probably other forums on CD that would be better to discuss this topic (real-estate, renting, etc.) You have to consider both the immediate and the longterm risks and price accordingly.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 PM

31 posts, read 236,497 times
Thanks, DanielChang.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,757,846 times
Every landlord is different. Some don't allow pets period, some allow only one, some allow them depending on breed and weight, some require a pet deposit - all dependent on the individual. Are you asking as a LL or tenant?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,500,220 times
It also depends on the property. We have one that is a 900 sq.ft. log cabin style, with no fenced yard, but in a subdivision. Obviously, we can't really allow big dogs there. We have another one that is on 40 acres in the foothills, so they could have horses there if they wanted to. We have one that is going to be a tear down when we develop the ground it sits on, we told them they could have whatever is legal, and they got a goat, we don't care.

Overall, we never allow aggressive breeds of dogs for insurance reasons, and we never allow puppies because they are SOOOO destructive. Other than that, it is case by case and property specific. If someone wants to have a breed of dog that barks a lot and the property has a joined wall, that is a no. If the CCR's say no more than 2 total pets (2 dogs, 2 cats, or one of each) and a person has 3 dogs, that has to be a no, etc.

For deposits, I've seen everything from $100 total to $500 nonrefundable per pet, plus a pet rent. I've also seen many times places that require cats be declawed (I would never live in one of those) and that all pets be spayed or neutered (that one I agree with). Honestly, being allowed to have a pet in a rental is a privilege, not a right, and whatever the LL can get a pet owner to agree to is fair. We usually charge $200 per pet.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,640,453 times
I have two cats. $200 each pet non-refundable seems to be pretty standard, and as a tenant I think that is a fair amount considering the dander and hair, scent, clay dust from cat litter, risk of urine accident, etc. My current place charged $400 for up to 2 pets (total weight limit), but gave me half off the fee as a move-in concession. I have paid as much as $200 each non-refundable plus an additional $200 each as refundable pet deposit and honestly I didn't really find that to be terribly unreasonable even though it was basically double the usual cost to move my cats in. I did get the deposit portions back if anyone is wondering. Declawing is not negotiable, it's not happening.

I think that the $200 each is probably fair compensation for the average responsible tenant with a well-kept pet. Some probably do a bit less damage and some a bit more but it seems like it would average out. But how many of the tenants with pets will turn out to be irresponsible tenants with poorly-kept pets?

I have personally seen the damage caused by a sweet but anxious pit-bull puppy who was locked in a small bathroom when the owner went to work, it was far more than $200 or even $400 damage. It looked like someone had trapped a cartoon Tasmanian Devil in there. It just annihilated everything within reach - the door (eventually breaking through it), wood trim and base, counter, cabinetry, toilet seat, walls, vinyl floor, subfloor, and was making good progress on excavating the concrete floor below. Then, like the true class act that he was, the owner disappeared with the poor pup, leaving his roommates to deal with the damage. I understand why some landlords just refuse pets entirely.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,718,354 times
Pets are a windfall for some landlords.

The tenant pays a pet FEE, not 'deposit' of a few hundred.
Then has to pay a mandatory cleaning fee say a hundred or so.
Then on top of all that- damages (if any) when the tenant moves out.

So when you have a tenant that moves out after a few years and it's time to remodel/update anyways....you can use the deposit to cover the damaged baseboards, carpets, flooring, door... that the landlord was going to replace anyways!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,500,220 times
Honestly, in the long run, I doubt that any landlords have ever made money off having pets in a unit.

People who allow their pets to do serious damage usually are the same people who suddenly "don't have any money" when the bill comes due. The damage is often in excess of the deposit, and collecting can cost hundreds more, and that's only if the tenant stays in state, doesn't file bankruptcy, and keeps a job. If any of those things change, you can forget about realistically ever seeing money back.

We have, twice, had tenants who had pet damage of over $10,000. Both times were unauthorized puppies, and the damage was done in a very short time span. Most pets do not do that severe of damage, but it can easily add up to more than the deposit covered.

Of course, on some individual tenants, the pet fees are going to be extra income and the deposit will cover damages, but that is definitely the exception, rather than the norm in my experience, and does not even make a dent in uncollected expenses overall.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:23 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,834,462 times
Are you asking this because you are a LL or you are a tenant and want to see what is reasonable? I'm asking cause if I owned a property I would never allow pets. I know people can sneak it in but at least I am doing what I can to prevent them. The damage a small animal can do is more then deposit and some people after move out will not pay fees and then you have to sue. I have seen a range of fees. Some also have monthly fees. I wish rental places had pet buildings and then some not. I have seen some that do but on the most part they don't seperate it.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,685,668 times
Lacerta, as a LL, that's been my experience as well.

In addition, even after the tenants move out, the dander or allergens still stay in the unit, meaning people that are allergic to pets are now excluded from the pool of potential tenants/buyers.

I don't mean to discourage you from renting to responsible pet owners, just pointing out something you may not have thought of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting