Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,704 times

Advertisements

I guess I should be selective about what I ask about so I don't run up a zillion threads, but so many questions pop up in the course of this search!

Today's:

1. Found a cute house, I think it's a townhome? Because the neighborhood road is semi-private, narrow? Very small backyards?
2. It has 2 bedrooms and then an open room with no door. That would need to be one of my kids' bedrooms. Guess it's up to them if they want to have a room with incomplete privacy?
3. The property manager just said she doesn't charge an application fee. That's a first! Is that sketchy at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
1. could be
2. actually it is up to you. Do you let your kids pick your clothes too?
3. app fees are subject to customary practices and differ everywhere. they are not a norm in my area except for rental communities with high demand.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
I didn't used to charge any fees. In fact I only recently started doing it. Most of my renters were long term but things change and I gotta change with them.
Now unfortunately I have to run a BG check and charge the BG fee simply because I can't just go by what a potential tenant tells me anymore, but if you were honest come back clean good credit and nothing bad on record and I decide to rent to you I will refund you the fee for the BG check.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
If it is a "house" (single family home) it is not a "townhouse"

The term “townhouse” has become a bit of a catch-all term in Arizona to refer to any home that shares a building with other units, particularly if there are no other units above or below. Most townhouses or townhomes in the Phoenix area are multiple story dwellings.
Townhome/Townhouse - Pros
  • Less expensive than single family homes
  • No neighbors above or below.
  • Often has a small fenced yard
  • Low maintenance lifestyle – HOA may cover roof repair and replacement, exterior maintenance, common area maintenance, and other expenses
  • Often includes amenities such as a community pool
Townhome/Townhouse - Cons
  • Noise from neighbors through shared walls
  • Homeowners’ association fees and politics, and CC&R restrictions
  • A townhome or townhouse will typically have a small yard or no yard
  • Might have common stairwells
I could be mistaken but I believe there has to be actual designated "bedrooms" used for sleeping areas, you might check the code requirements in your area.
Fees are the discretion of the owners of the property, if they say there is no fee then there is no fee.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:39 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times
Why not ask the PM if it is a townhome or what style home it is? Have you driven by it to see what it looks like? How old is the child that would have a room without a door?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM

I visited the home yesterday. I did ask, he said he didn't know. The child is 12, boy.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM

So the property manager says she ran a credit check on me, and that I have "impeccable credit." Uhhh. I have a bankruptcy. She knows this. She says aside from that....I suppose I could have what she would term impeccable credit, given that I haven't used any credit cards in the past couple years? Or is it because I've paid my rent on time? Utilities, etc.?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
I always thought a townhome was one that shared walls with the neighbors on either side.

For the open room, can you get those accordian style doors put up to close it off? He might even be able to fashion some type of lock on it. A 12 year old boy needs privacy where he can't be surprised, if you catch my drift...

As far as bankruptcy, they're so common now. And if it's a couple of years ago and the credit is good since then, you are a great risk. They know you can't file bankruptcy again for many years, and you obviously care about keeping your credit clean, so you aren't likely to do anything that will jeopardize your credit. That makes you a great prospect.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 PM

Applied on Monday for house. Talked to property manager. She said she needed to talk to owner, would call me this morning. No call. Grrrrr.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,965,098 times
Are you sure this is legit? Telling someone with bad credit that their credit is great raises a huge red flag for me. There are a lot of rental scams out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting