Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM

542 posts, read 1,548,513 times

Advertisements

A little background: husband and I have lived our whole lives in SoCal (non-snow areas), and own rentals in SoCal (Orange County) and AZ (Scottsdale), so we never have to think about snow regarding our rentals.

I'm curious, is it normal or common for landlords (whether a fourplex or four-hundred-plex) to have snow removed from parking lots of their rentals? Based on my research, it seems pretty common that landlords will take care of snow removal from sidewalks, though I'm unclear if it's only public sidewalks (by the street) or all walkways on the property. I don't see any indication of whether or not landlords typically have snow removed from their parking lots, though.

Does it depend on how much snow the city/area typically gets in a winter? Any cities have laws that require landlords to clear walkways and/or parking lots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:54 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
If there is a parking lot, they should sweep it out, so that you can get in and out. But they won't dig your car out though.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
What does it say in your lease?

The answer is yes and no. If the units in the 4-plex each have their own sidewalk then often it is the responsibility of the tenant to clear their own sidewalk.

If landlords clear parking lots and walks, it is not done every hour. The snow will be cleared and then it will snow some more and that will remain until the next scheduled clearing, maybe 24 hours later, maybe 48 hours later.

If you aren't used to snow and ice, buy some *** tracks for your shoes and invest in a bag of kitty litter or sand for your own porch. Even apartment dwellers own snow shovels in snowy areas.

The landlord can only plow the parking lot where the cars are not and you will have to do a small amount of digging to get your car out, and when you get home, all the cleared spaces might be taken and you might have to shovel a space for your car.

(the law is 48 hours to clear sidewalks in my area, but every area will have it's own laws or lack thereof. I only have houses and my tenants are responsible for their own snow removal, as stated in their rental agreement)

Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
OK, that's a funny word to not be allowed to say. The word is a large, very hairy cow-like creature from the Himalayan region. *** Tracks are stretchy bands with studs that go over your shoes to give you excellent traction while walking on ice.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Hereabouts it typically works like this: if you're renting in a multi-unit with a common entrance, the building owner is responsible for clearing off snow from the entrance and sidewalk thereto, municipal sidewalk (if any) adjacent to the property, and parking lots (and ONLY parking lots -- if you just have a spot off the back alley or spot next to the building and not in a "lot" per se, you're generally responsible for digging yourself out).

If you're renting a SFH, you're usually on your own for that kind of stuff and lawn care too.

If you're renting a townhome with its own entrance, you may be responsible for clearing your own entrance or the HOA might take care of it, but the municipal sidewalk in front of the building (if any) is the HOA's responsibility.

These obligations are settled by lease clauses but that's typically how it works around here.

Last edited by Drover; 11-15-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OK, that's a funny word to not be allowed to say. The word is a large, very hairy cow-like creature from the Himalayan region. *** Tracks are stretchy bands with studs that go over your shoes to give you excellent traction while walking on ice.
***? Y.a.k.? I like spinning the fiber from those big hairy animals.

There's no evident rhyme or reason to the censor, as far as I can tell.

On topic: In apartments, the sidewalks and parking lots are normally cleared by the management. In rental houses, that usually, in my experience, is up to the renter.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,513 times
So it sounds like management typically pays to clear the lots, but not the parking spaces. Sounds reasonable. We are considering buying rentals in areas that get snow, so I am trying to account for snow-related expenses. If we decide to move forward with a purchase, I will look into snow removal costs.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
So it sounds like management typically pays to clear the lots, but not the parking spaces. Sounds reasonable. We are considering buying rentals in areas that get snow, so I am trying to account for snow-related expenses. If we decide to move forward with a purchase, I will look into snow removal costs.
Plow services will usually do their best to clear as much of the lot off as possible. If there are unoccupied parking spots, they'll clear them off too. Depending on how thorough the plowing contractor is, and/or depending on how deep the snowfall is, they may ask tenants who are home to move their cars to spots that have been cleared off so they can get the rest of the lot cleared off. These are details you as a property manager generally don't have to worry about; just hire a competent plowing contractor and they'll take care of the rest.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
When I rented in an apartment complex, snow removal for the paths and parking lot was provided. I've never had snow removal included with a townhome or sfh though.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Check out the municipal regulations on snow removel. Some towns have a 12 hour from the end of snowfall to have all public sidewalks cleared - of both ice and snow. So even if the snow is cleared, if it melts and ices over, you must salt/sand the walkways.

For all the many years I rented, apts with parking lots, the lot is the responsibility of management, and like stated above, if the tenants get their cars out of the way, the spaces will be cleared also. In 2 or 3-family homes, the landlord does not usually clear the walkway expecting that tenents will cooperate - and they usually do not. It's usually only one who does it all and is never thanked by the LL.

Also, there are many towns which prohibit on-street parking during snows, so consider that when deciding who is responsible for removing snow from the driveway or parking area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting