Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,303 times

Advertisements

What if you were a previous tenant with a judgement against you ordered to pay old rent, then the property was sold while making payment & you were told by management company to send payments to new owner. New owner relieves you of old debt, fast forward 4 years, judgement not removed, old owner gets involved stating that old debt belongs to them & wants some kind of payment to satisfy judgement. Sale of the debt to new owner is grey area in sales agreement although new owner believed debt was purchased, but old tenant company was not directly named in the sales agreement. However, sales agreement states ALL rental income goes to new owner(grey area). been trying to rectify this situation since February, old owner just got involved two weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,003 times
My tenant's lease agreement expires in 8 months from now. He stopped paying rent 4 months ago so I started eviction process (Unlawful Detainer). Before getting judgement, he filed for bankruptcy, so I am filing a motion in the bankruptcy court court for relief from stay and then continue the Unlawful Detainer. The eviction process has become too cumbersome and costly (already spent $3,600 in attorney fees), so I am thinking of selling the house. If I do, does this force the tenant to move out or the new buyer has to continue with the eviction process?

Old 01-16-2019, 02:54 PM

268 posts, read 271,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muntherkubba View Post
My tenant's lease agreement expires in 8 months from now. He stopped paying rent 4 months ago so I started eviction process (Unlawful Detainer). Before getting judgement, he filed for bankruptcy, so I am filing a motion in the bankruptcy court court for relief from stay and then continue the Unlawful Detainer. The eviction process has become too cumbersome and costly (already spent $3,600 in attorney fees), so I am thinking of selling the house. If I do, does this force the tenant to move out or the new buyer has to continue with the eviction process?
If I were the buyer I would stipulate in the contract that the tenant had to be out and the unit empty before closing.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muntherkubba View Post
My tenant's lease agreement expires in 8 months from now.
...does this force the tenant to move out or the new buyer has to...?
Does the buyer have the 1st clue about what is going on with you and your tenant?
If they've tendered a contract they probably don't.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:06 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
In your State, the lease survives the sale so the new owner will inherit your problem. In most cases, few buyers will accept such a deal and almost all will demand the unit be vacant on closing.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 852 times
Hi! I was evicted in 2014. I tried to set up payment arrangements last year but the new property owners don’t have any tenant records during that time. The receptionist said that she would look up more info and give me a call or respond via email but she never did. I applied for an apartment and got denied because of this. What should I do? I want to try and make payment arrangements and settle this but no way to do it if they have no records. Should I get a lawyer??

Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Helps View Post
Hi! I was evicted in 2014. I tried to set up payment arrangements last year but the new property owners don’t have any tenant records during that time. The receptionist said that she would look up more info and give me a call or respond via email but she never did. I applied for an apartment and got denied because of this. What should I do? I want to try and make payment arrangements and settle this but no way to do it if they have no records. Should I get a lawyer??
If the company you owe money to is no longer in business then you can’t pay off your debt (unless a collection agency bought your debt). Doesn’t mean you don’t owe it, mind you. I’m assuming in addition to the eviction, you also have a judgment.

Even if you were able to pay it off; the eviction, not the debt, is why they’re denying you.

Where have you been living since the eviction?

Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
You have an eviction on your record, it won't come off if you pay for it.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:00 AM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
Old thread...

Quote:
Petition the Courts for an expungement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyAppleton205 View Post
If I were the buyer I would stipulate in the contract that the tenant had to be out and the unit empty before closing.
Good luck with that. The purchase price probably reflects the non-paying tenants.

When you purchased a building, you do not necessarily get the past due rents as a receivable. They are actually owed to the previous LL, not you. The act of buying property doesn't transfer the rights of the previous LL receivables. You can buy them for $1 if you want. Or have them included in the purchase.

If you purchase a business, you do get their receivables, maybe. You can stipulate the past receivables come with the business.

The due diligence of the purchaser should include reviewing leases, rent rolls, and collections.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You have an eviction on your record, it won't come off if you pay for it.

Some landlords won't take evictions. I know a couple of them that will if it was a couple of years past and all accounts are settled and no money is owed to any landlord.

So, it is worth getting it paid off. That at least opens up the possibility that a few landlords will accept it. Not many, but a few is much better than none.

If you look at county tax records, there should be a history of the property that shows ownership changes. Look up who owned the property while you lived there and contact them directly.

If that information isn't online, you can walk into the assessor's office and get it.

You should have some eviction paperwork. You can also contact the lawyer who handled the eviction. If you've lost it, the county where the eviction took place will have case files that give the name of the lawyer.

Don't pay until you get it in writing that they will report that it has been paid off and get a receipt that you are careful to not lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting