Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Section 8 in our area will only check up to 3 years back...so if the person was convicted prior to the 3 years, than section 8 doesn't care. That is why we rather deal with the criteria the owner wants to deal with and we disclose everything to the owner. None of the owners we ever dealt with want a sex offender in their house unless it is a person who is for example 18 and had sex with a his 15 year old GF and the parents reported it and they are still together...that happened once and it is sad that someone is labeled that way...JMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just found out there is a registered sex offender in my building. Lewd and Lascivious acts with a child under 14.

This is a govt subsidized building, managed by a Christian organization. I never in a million years would have expected them to allow a sex offender to rent here. Never occurred to me to run a search on the sex offender databases.

This is a senior building, and he obviously isn't interested in old ladies, but grandchildren do come to visit here.

I found the guy somewhat nosy and confrontational, and I avoided him as much as possible already. I thought it was kind of weird that he sits outside in his wheelchair morning noon and night smoking. I have seen him walking, too, so he's not wheelchair bound 24/7.

There's a children's ballet studio just 2 doors down from this building, and school kids visit the theater across the street on a regular basis.

Incredibly creepy. Another tenant was gossiping with me (hello senior community, lol!) and told me about him being a registered sex offender. Sure enough, he's on the Megan's Law database bigger 'n Dallas.

I also heard that there was a previous tenant here who protested and printed out flyers regarding the sex offender and plastered the flyers everywhere. So, I am assuming the management is well aware of his background, and their hands must be tied legally, somehow, regarding letting him live here.

So, I don't plan on doing anything about it, as I don't want word to get back to him that I complained, and the next thing you know my tires are slashed or something. And apparently, complaining won't do any good regarding getting rid of him anyway.

Anyway, my point with this post is to just tell anyone who is looking to rent, to check the databases. Don't assume your place is safe from sexual predators, just because the complex is run by a Christian organization that advertises the apts as "safe."

I'm just appalled. Will I move? No. It's cheap and I don't have grandkids come to visit me. But, I will be checking the databases the next time I do move.

Anyway, here are the databases. The national one does not include CA, but the CA database is also below:

KidsLiveSafe - Search and View Registered Sex Offenders and Predators

California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Does anyone know why this registered sex offender would be allowed to live here? I did just some quick looking around the Megan's Law website, and didn't find this type of info there.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Section 8 in our area will only check up to 3 years back...so if the person was convicted prior to the 3 years, than section 8 doesn't care. That is why we rather deal with the criteria the owner wants to deal with and we disclose everything to the owner. None of the owners we ever dealt with want a sex offender in their house unless it is a person who is for example 18 and had sex with a his 15 year old GF and the parents reported it and they are still together...that happened once and it is sad that someone is labeled that way...JMO!
Wow, just 3 years, no matter the crime? That's just amazing to me.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
OP NoMoreSnowForMe provided a link to a PAY site. Here is the Dru Sjogen FREE site:

Verification

Old 02-03-2014, 05:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
OP NoMoreSnowForMe provided a link to a PAY site. Here is the Dru Sjogen FREE site:

Verification
Thanks for that. The one you provided is the one I ended up at through the other one - the KidsLiveSafe one. I knew his name so I chose that option and it took me to the DOJ site.

I just tried the KidsLiveSafe site again, and nothing happens when I click on the links. Weird.

Anyway, you're right. The link you provided is the national database. It WILL show a CA sex offender if you know his/her name, but you can't search by address for CA on the national database. You have to go to the Megan's Law CA govt. website to search by address in CA.

Thanks again for the correction.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
The Dru Sjodgen story is a heartbreaking one that many in MN are familiar with. Glad to see they got the site up and running.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Quote:

I just would have thought that a Catholic organization, of all things, would be afraid to rent to a registered sex offender. I'm not afraid of him affecting my life, but I still am surprised and seriously creeped out.
Sorry, this part made me chuckle considering how horrible the Catholic Church has handled molestation cases in the past.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM

300 posts, read 438,747 times
Since you know, I think you should tell. How would you feel if something happened to child and said you nothing. You already feel horrible or you wouldn't have posted. At the very least you alert the Ballet shool accross the street. Print the page with his information write his adress and mail it to the school. Mail it to the local PD. Mail it to your land lord.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 PM

35 posts, read 86,130 times
Wait what if you discover there is a registered sex offender living in your apartment complex and you have kids. Can you break your lease with this kind of situation?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Does it affect the statute of habitability in your State?

Of course anyone can break a lease at anytime... simply pack up and move and deal with the fallout or ask to buy out your lease and leave on good terms.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:39 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Wow, just 3 years, no matter the crime? That's just amazing to me.
That was shocking to us too...sex offender is already bad enough but a person with a long time drug track record with some years in between can also end up in your place...we all know people don't get caught the first time so you end up with a drug place.

Aside from that often instead of the people who suppose to move in, a lot more move in to share the rent...which is sad for the people who use the system correctly that it is has gotten such a bad name due to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting