Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM

157 posts, read 297,405 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm glad this is an opportunity for me to ask an important question(s) and hopefully get good honest responses back.

I have been living in my 1 bedroom apartment for 1 year and 11 months pretty much almost 2 years and recently I have NOT been happy with the new administration..
I'm won't name any apartments since it's not my style to speak publicly bad about any residential community or apartment complex, but this place where I am at, well things are not functioning properly such as Refrigerator not cooling at all, had sent several requests already to come fix it, they do, then it breaks down again and to pay for a new one it is a lot of money.
So as just one example of the other problems going on inside the apartment which list goes on, such as nails sticking out from carpet, etc.. weak walls... etc.
I have been researching around today to move anyway since my lease ends April 1. I am very honestly to god desperate of moving out ASAP like this weekend or next week to a very nice apartment complex that is much closer to where I am currently working. It's a 99$ move in special and I really want to take advantage of that and live in the reasonably affordable nice apartment that I saw today, the lady inside very nice she handed me the Application to fill out, I haven't discussed the situation at my apartment to the new potential residence yet however I will pay off also a late fee that I owe for this month but as of April 1 my lease ends and I am not planning on staying here at all.. I haven't had the chance to give out a 60 day notice since I was intending to stay but as of December of 2013 the administration changed and unfortunately for a not so good change. The new administration besides not taking care of problems, they have also been rude on customer service not just to me, but to others as well.
My concern is by my lease which started April 1, 2012 renewed on April 1, 2013 and ending til April 1,2014 have any effect on getting a new apartment before April 1? I haven't told the new apartments where I am living at yet because recently I have been staying a lot and practically living with my mom who has had health issues for the past six months so I've even have had an address change to some of my bills since I am at my mother's house most of the time.
I really want to get out of my apartment seriously and it makes me so anxious to find out that my lease is up on April 1, 2014
Can someone please help me out with answers? thank you so much for taking the time to read.
I am in Texas and in my mid 20s, on April of 2012 was when I first leased ever.

Last edited by Ernie.e; 03-06-2014 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,626,910 times
Go apply and make sure you get the other place. You need to give a 30 day written notice you are vacating your current rental. You will be probably charged a pro rated rate because you're already in a new month. So your 39 day notice will fall after your lease end date

Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Go apply and make sure you get the other place. You need to give a 30 day written notice you are vacating your current rental. You will be probably charged a pro rated rate because you're already in a new month. So your 39 day notice will fall after your lease end date
Thank you so much for replying makes me feel good to receive honest positive replies... you have no idea how bad I want to move out of my place to the new place within a week.. I of course will take care of any aditional charges of my current place but I just want to leave out of here and take advantage of those apartments close to my job and that I liked a lot because of it's location.
anyone else please feel free to contribute as well and thank you again Electrician.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Oh make sure your lease is a renew as month to month not renew for another year if no 30 day is given. Hit up CptnRn he's in Texas. There is a sticky with rules for every state on LL and tenant law. On the top of the page.
Good luck.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 PM

oh yea absolutely! I will not renew any lease with my current apartment and it's already as a month to month and certainty am wanting to move out to the ones near my job.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 PM

Then all you need to give is a 30 day notice to vacate

Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 PM

cool and thanks again a for the info!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,282,330 times
If you move now you will have some time to clean the old place or get it professionally cleaned. Take lots of pictures or video of the old place if you want your deposit back. I assume you have given your notice today in writing and have some sort of documentation that they received it? Like a signature from them? If not, you are going to have to send a certified letter to the management and/or the owner to CYA. I assume you realize you will have to pay for the first few days in April at the old place as well as paying April rent for the new place.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
If you move now you will have some time to clean the old place or get it professionally cleaned. Take lots of pictures or video of the old place if you want your deposit back. I assume you have given your notice today in writing and have some sort of documentation that they received it? Like a signature from them? If not, you are going to have to send a certified letter to the management and/or the owner to CYA. I assume you realize you will have to pay for the first few days in April at the old place as well as paying April rent for the new place.
yes I will do that as far as time to clean the old place and will take pictures. my freezer looks like a snowstorm dumped 4 inches of snow and a pile of frost all over it's so crazy ... there too many other to list such as walls starting to weaken up near the ceiling etc causing a minor leak when it rains..
I will notify the apartment tomorrow on my 30 day notice to leave and I haven't received anything back from my current place yet, I'm not too concerned about the deposit at the moment and if they dispute that I caused any minor damage or touch up and they won't give deposit back then I really won't fight for that. And if I have to pay anything extra for the 30 days notice then I really wouldn't mind at all. To be honest I just want to leave my old place here and move to the new one asap.
and thanks Jzeig04

Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,788,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
I haven't had the chance to give out a 60 day notice since I was intending to stay ...
If your lease requires that you give 60 days notice then that's what you have to give so if you give proper notice now you'll be required to pay rent on the current unit for both March and April. Some states go literally by 60 days, others go by 60 days depending on rent due date so you''ll need to check your state laws on that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting