Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,353 times

Advertisements

I am about to move out of a rented house after living there for 5 years.

During that time the landlord has done basically nothing towards the maintenance of the house. The only time that any work was done was when something broke completely (Roof broken after hail storm, AC unit broke [In Texas and needed], fence collapsed in storm [Not even fixed, just propped back up], etc etc).

My main concern is that the guy is going to nickel and dime me to death over every little thing wrong with the house (FYI the house was far from pristine when we moved in). I mean don't get me wrong, I will probably owe on a few small items after 5 years, but 99% of it is wear and tear.

What are everyone's thoughts with this? If the guy is going be a hard a** about it, is there much I can do outside of plead wear and tear?

To add to this, I'm not interested in pursuing legal action. I'm moving 250 miles away and just want to be done with it. I'd be completely happy with just losing my deposit, $1,450, or even better with getting some of it back.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Addition - The only damages outside of normal wear and tear are a few carpet stains (Dogs) and some damage to two wooden door frames (Once again my furry friends chewing things when they were pups 5 years ago).

Last edited by jordanb71; 03-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Adding on what we've damaged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,706,286 times
What things have you damaged beyond normal wear and tear?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Default To Squirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
What things have you damaged beyond normal wear and tear?
The only damages outside of normal wear and tear are a few carpet stains (Dogs) and some damage to two wooden door frames (Once again my furry friends chewing things when they were pups 5 years ago).

Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,706,286 times
I suggest you get an estimate from a carpenter for repair of the doorframes and then get the carpets professionally cleaned. Tell the landlord about the doorframes and offer to have them repaired or have the cost of the repair taken from your deposit.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Default To Squirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I suggest you get an estimate from a carpenter for repair of the doorframes and then get the carpets professionally cleaned. Tell the landlord about the doorframes and offer to have them repaired or have the cost of the repair taken from your deposit.
From the outside looking in, I'd agree with you 100%. My hang up is that my landlord was never an I'll call a carpenter kind of guy. He was more of a find a day laborer and get it fixed for as cheap as possible kind of guy.

As a result, I don't feel obligated to go above and beyond what he always did. I really want to be the bigger person here but want things to be fair. Does that make sense?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 PM

912 posts, read 5,266,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanb71 View Post
From the outside looking in, I'd agree with you 100%. My hang up is that my landlord was never an I'll call a carpenter kind of guy. He was more of a find a day laborer and get it fixed for as cheap as possible kind of guy.

As a result, I don't feel obligated to go above and beyond what he always did. I really want to be the bigger person here but want things to be fair. Does that make sense?
That doesnt make sense at all. For example, I have duct tape on the front bumper of my car, it holds together a small tear from hitting an ice pile.

If you rear-end me, you are paying for my repairs in full, not handing me a new roll of duct tape. You broke it, you bought it. Its not that hard.

Last edited by CarlitosBala; 03-11-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,937 times
This guy might like to use day laborers, but you can bet your tail he will charge you as much as he can get away with. Get someone in there to replace the trim and clean the carpet. If he fails to return your deposit or send an itemized list of deductions within the legal amount of time, you can then tell him you will file a lawsuit for the return of your deposit and legal fees. You might not even have to be there for a hearing if you have an attorney representing you.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:08 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,217,117 times
Since I didn't see where anyone mentioned taking pre-move/ post-move out pictures, did you take any? It might be too late of course to mention it, but usually date stamped pics on the day of move in are like gold if the landlord starts trying to back out of giving your deposit back due to imaginary damages which might have been there originally. In most apartments I've rented I've taken pics all but once, and only had to present them once over a cracked window concern.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,807,236 times
Regardless of how he gets the work done, you said it was pristine when you moved it. He'll probably want new carpet if the stains can't be removed and repaint the walls if they are marred up. Have you degreased the kitchen? I don't know about Texas law, buy you can be on the hook for more than just your deposit amount. Request an inspection sooner so you have time to remedy any issues.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,276,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Regardless of how he gets the work done, you said it was pristine when you moved it. He'll probably want new carpet if the stains can't be removed and repaint the walls if they are marred up. Have you degreased the kitchen? I don't know about Texas law, buy you can be on the hook for more than just your deposit amount. Request an inspection sooner so you have time to remedy any issues.
The OP said it was "far from pristine'" which sounds like our situation. In fact our rental was disgusting with a minimum of repairs being made over the years. Grease filled kitchen, appliances nasty and at the end of their lives, holes in the roof, HVAC problems, etc. I can't wait to get out of here and buy our own place. When we moved in, I documented everything. Every darned scratch I could find. Took me hours going thru the house but I don't want to be on the hook for things we didn't do.

I would get the carpets cleaned and get someone on to fix the woodwork. It is amazing what a really good carpet cleaner can do. They removed all of our pet stains from our previous home with 15 year old carpets. Only things that didn't come up were Popsicle stains where my son hid a Popsicle under a table...duh. Bright orange. When we sold the house, carpets looked almost new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting