Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times

Advertisements

I have a rent house that will become available in June so I've had it advertised since Sunday. Today is Wednesday and I have had over 75 responses.

This is for a rent house that requires lawn mowing and watering. I can't understand why so many young single roommates would want a house instead of an apartment. I can't understand why newly separated single Mom's with babies would want a house instead of an apartment. I just don't get it.

I always hope to find tenants who want a house because they want to settle down and live there for a long time. It seems to me that people in their early 20's or newly separated people are very much in a transitional time in their lives. Taking care of a house and even just moving in and out is more complicated than an apartment. And I really don't want to have to re-lease out the place every time the lease comes up for renewal. So, I am setting aside those candidates and I do feel bad when they email me and are all excited and very interested in seeing the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Is "Assumption" your middle name? My guess is that you're going to be turning down a lot of potentially very good tenants by knocking them out based purely on these wild assumptions. Some people love apartment-living and some hate it; some love living in free-standing houses with space for a garden (I'm one), some hate that responsibility - and it's got nothing to with age or family dynamics.

All the best in finding a good tenant - but I think you're way out there with your assumptions!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
With all due respect, I think you need to stop assuming that everyone has preferences that exactly align with yours. Perhaps a 20-something will move into your property and rent it for the next 50 years! Perhaps a newly-separated parent will seek stability in her life by making this house a home for her little family. Just because you would have preferred an apartment in your 20s or or if you were a single parent does not mean someone else will.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Age is a protected class, I hope you get caught and punished for discrimination, as I hate people like you. I fear my problem finding a decent single family home for my fiance and I is partly this crap. You are looking for renters, and do not deserve, nor should you expect, tenants that will stay past their lease ending. It is a business, always expect to be searching for new tenants at the end of the lease unless they renew.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 PM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Age is a protected class, I hope you get caught and punished for discrimination, as I hate people like you. I fear my problem finding a decent single family home for my fiance and I is partly this crap. You are looking for renters, and do not deserve, nor should you expect, tenants that will stay past their lease ending. It is a business, always expect to be searching for new tenants at the end of the lease unless they renew.
OP has 75 applicants already, can pick and choose the most appropriate tenant even if they are not a minority or not twenty years old, or not who you want them to choose. It is a business, landlords know all about it and choose tenants they think will be stable and long term. There's nothing to get caught at since no one has done anything wrong.

You are an example of why younger people might not be favorable tenants, always looking to sue or report someone if they don't get their way.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have a rent house that will become available in June so I've had it advertised since Sunday. Today is Wednesday and I have had over 75 responses.

This is for a rent house that requires lawn mowing and watering. I can't understand why so many young single roommates would want a house instead of an apartment. I can't understand why newly separated single Mom's with babies would want a house instead of an apartment. I just don't get it.

I always hope to find tenants who want a house because they want to settle down and live there for a long time. It seems to me that people in their early 20's or newly separated people are very much in a transitional time in their lives. Taking care of a house and even just moving in and out is more complicated than an apartment. And I really don't want to have to re-lease out the place every time the lease comes up for renewal. So, I am setting aside those candidates and I do feel bad when they email me and are all excited and very interested in seeing the house.
What do you care as long as the tenant(s) pay the rent on time and keep the place nice?

Plus...if someone is going to stay put for years on end, why the hell would they rent when they could own? Most people don't rent forever.

If all you're interested in is long-term tenants then only offer long-term leases and advertise it that way.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
My rentals stay vacant for about a week. And that's because I keep them vacant. There is a reason why people get into renting. As you found out it can be very profitable

Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What do you care as long as the tenant(s) pay the rent on time and keep the place nice?

Plus...if someone is going to stay put for years on end, why the hell would they rent when they could own? Most people don't rent forever.

If all you're interested in is long-term tenants then only offer long-term leases and advertise it that way.
Vacancies cost money. I have rented to very young adult tenants. At this time I have 6 tenants under age 25. They do fine in my condos.

But I have yet to find a tenant in early 20's who takes care of the lawn without my nagging.

Most of my tenants in SFH's stay 3-5 years and are saving to buy a house, or they don't want to buy in this area because they have goals to move elsewhere. Lots of people want to live in houses but are not in the position to buy one.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
If the OP will read some threads in this subforum concerning apartment neighbors with loud stereos, "stomping," partiers, pot smokers, etc. etc, i think it should be very apparent why a lot of people would prefer a SFH to an apartment.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Vacancies cost money. I have rented to very young adult tenants. At this time I have 6 tenants under age 25. They do fine in my condos.

But I have yet to find a tenant in early 20's who takes care of the lawn without my nagging.
Here's a thought: hire a lawn service and roll the cost into the monthly rent. I mean...really, it's very obvious and simple.

Quote:
Most of my tenants in SFH's stay 3-5 years and are saving to buy a house, or they don't want to buy in this area because they have goals to move elsewhere. Lots of people want to live in houses but are not in the position to buy one.
Sounds like a first-world problem to me. Seriously...I don't understand what you're complaining about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting