Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 PM

17 posts, read 122,007 times

Advertisements

First, I'm not defending what I did, just explaining the situation.

I moved into this apartment exactly 10 years ago in 2004. I was a 30 year old single mother of an eight-year-old. Since then, I was laid off three times. We just counted, and there have been 33 times(!) I have been less than seven days late. The complex owner had a program where people on unemployment could pay every two weeks instead of monthly with no penalty, but that doesn't account for all of them.

Last year, I missed a lot of work because my sister was fighting leukemia. She passed away in October. Also, my husband (then fiance) moved here from Canada and couldn't continue his work-at-home job until he got his green card in November. So, I have a couple of late payments from last fall as well. Husband now makes over 4 times the rent amount we are seeking.

My husband and I want to move because I'm going back to school for the next three years. We applied for an apt owned by a management company that owns several properties. They denied us solely on the rental history. I got a copy of what the landlady filled out on the form, and she said that she would definitely rent to us again in the future, but she included the 10-year payment history. I really thought we would just have to pay a bigger deposit, but they had no interest in working with us.

For the record, my credit scores are around 690. Husband has no US credit score or report. His report in Canada is spotless.

What do people do in this situation? How should we approach potential landlords? There are a number of apartments, condos and houses in our price range and desired area, from companies and private owners. We can't afford to apply with all of them and hope one of them works out. Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
My Son and I were just talking about this subject last night at dinner.........both of my Sons are property managers. Basically, you are going to have a hard time finding a residence willing to take a chance on you based on your late payments. They screen people for a variety of reasons, like felonies, but a person's past payment history is right at the top of the list.

There is also the fact that property managers stick together and if one of their own was stuck by someone they sort of "get even" with the person by turning them down. It sends a message to the renter that you have to pay on time and not skip out without consequences.

I know you may have had good reasons for being late, but business is business and your problems can't become their problems. Your history will follow you wherever you go.

Don

Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 AM

17 posts, read 122,007 times
I understand why they would not want to rent to me. I just don't know what to do now. I don't want to be dishonest, but would some landlords allow my husband to lease with me as an occupant, fully aware that it is because I might be a hindrance?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Late payments are always better than no payments....as long as you don't have any evictions or judgments (for unpaid rent and late fees) you'll be fine finding place to rent. You've also been living in the same unit for 10yrs..that's awesome and will carry some weight as well.

I doubt they would list you as an occupant...most landlords want every over the age of 18 as leaseholder with a full background/credit check.

I really think you're over thinking this....go find a place, apply and let us know how it goes.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
To continue what I was saying in my first post, it evidently is going to be somewhat of a problem for you, based on one turn down already. Subsequent applications will turn up that you have been denied at that one spot and will influence the decision of those property managers.

So here is what I would do. Some residences are more selective than others. I would not start applying all over the place but would find ONE place you would like to live and sit down with the property manager one on one. Explain your situation and give them evidence to counteract that poor payment history. Sometimes if a person is up front and comes across as legitimate it makes a big difference in the outcome. Be upfront and tell them you realize you were not the best payer.

You might also offer to pay several months (or more) rent up front to be held in escrow to minimize their risk.

Don

Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 AM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
Your big issue, aside from the payment history, is that your husband hasn't established any US credit; a lot of landlords would be uncomfortable with that, as you've established a pattern of paying late, and he hasn't established any pattern at all, much less showing an ability to pay on time.
Your best option is to try to find a private landlord; failing that, if you have the financial means available, you need to offer to pre-pay rent upfront. It should be anywhere from 3-6 months; I know it's a huge amount but that's what it would take to make a LL comfortable, considering your pattern of payment.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Subsequent applications will turn up that you have been denied at that one spot and will influence the decision of those property managers.
How could that happen? How could a PMC's decision not to rent to someone for any reason land in the hands of another PMC for an unrelated property? Obviously if PMC "Blow & Co" manages several different properties then you wouldn't apply through them for a spot in one of those other properties - maybe that's what you meant.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabblegirl View Post
........ and there have been 33 times(!) I have been less than seven days late. ..........Last year, I missed a lot ......... late payments from last fall as well. .........

They denied us solely on the rental history.
Yeah. No kidding.

My only suggestion is to offer 6 months rent as security deposit (security deposit, not rent in advance) and offer to sign a contract that says if you are ever more than 5 days late the landlord can ask you to move out with a 30 day notice and a 2 months rent early move-out fee. Or give the extra deposit and offer to pay triple late fees.

No landlord is going to just screen your husband and let you move in unchecked. Not to mention, unless you have never lived together, he also has late payments on his rental record.

My only suggestion is that you find an RV park that allows full timers and then buy yourself an inexpensive travel trailer and move into the RV park. Expect to be ordered out with a 24 hour day notice if you don't pay the rent on time. They don't have the same laws as a dwelling rental. They can hitch up your trailer and dump it on the side of the road, if you don't pay the rent, so they won't screen quite as thoroughly.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
My best suggestion is to stay where you are. You have a place to live and they seem to be tolerating your late payments.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 PM

400 posts, read 793,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yeah. No kidding.

My only suggestion is to offer 6 months rent as security deposit (security deposit, not rent in advance) and offer to sign a contract that says if you are ever more than 5 days late the landlord can ask you to move out with a 30 day notice and a 2 months rent early move-out fee. Or give the extra deposit and offer to pay triple late fees.

No landlord is going to just screen your husband and let you move in unchecked. Not to mention, unless you have never lived together, he also has late payments on his rental record.

My only suggestion is that you find an RV park that allows full timers and then buy yourself an inexpensive travel trailer and move into the RV park. Expect to be ordered out with a 24 hour day notice if you don't pay the rent on time. They don't have the same laws as a dwelling rental. They can hitch up your trailer and dump it on the side of the road, if you don't pay the rent, so they won't screen quite as thoroughly.

Don't know where OP lives, but a lot of states allow for only a maximum of 1.5 months as security... so that might now work.

Somebody already mentioned finding a place to live that you love and sitting down to talk with the manager about your situation. I think that's a great idea.
I also agree with finding a private landlord.
If all else fails, stay where you are for another year. It's not the worst thing, and then you'll be able to build some positive reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting