Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,698 times

Advertisements

I am unsure if this is the proper place to post this but I'm not sure what on Earth I can do at this point.

A friend of mine sent something to me as a surprise through USPS First Class with tracking. Unfortunately, He marked my street number wrong and as a result, the package was delivered to my neighbor (with my name on it). I went to this neighbor's apartment and knocked and the guy wouldn't even open the door for me (guess I'm scary looking lol). He said he hadn't heard of "no package" and that was it. I left a note on his door after that with the printed tracking results clearly showing my stuff WAS delivered to his mailbox and a polite note saying if he found it, to email me or call the rental office.

Anyway, is there anything I can do at this point? I know he is lying. I don't think the package was really that valuable (not sure, would have to ask friend) but I really want it back as this friend is deploying very very soon and will not return until 2015. I know normally you can file a police report on stolen mail but while my name was on the package, my address was not. I've tried getting ahold of the mail lady but she must be running late today and wasn't there when I stopped by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
No, it's not the right forum but you need to contact the PO and it's probably best you go down there personally rather than dealing with the person who delivers the mail. Let them guide you accordingly.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Did you check with the rental office and see if it was there?

Use the tracking number to see what the driver said on it. Someone may have signed for it or there may a notation from the driver regarding delivery. Yesterday I got a package and the delivery email said ' wom cust took'

I think that translates too 'woman customer took' package. Usually the emails say 'left on front porch' but yesterday I answered the door.

If you still can't find it, call USPS and ask the carrier where they left it and what to do now. They may suggest you file a police report.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 PM

575 posts, read 1,468,698 times
Sorry about posting in the wrong place Figured it was somewhat relevant because it was my neighbor who took it.

I called the rental office and they didn't have a package. Tried calling the USPS but for some reason every time I dialed any of their lines, it would disconnect me immediately. I'm going to try again tomorrow. I figured I'd get ahold of the mail carrier here because she knows me and would be able to remember if the mail was delivered. She could also check to see if it was still in their mail box.

It's not my neighbor's fault the mail was sent to him since my friend actually put the wrong street number. But it is his fault for not returning it! I'm still pretty salty about the whole thing since I know the guy was in all likelihood lying about never getting it. Guess I know which neighbor not to trust now, huh?

On a slightly irrelevant note, I found out the surprise was a necklace. Nothing extremely valuable but definitely not worthless. I'm going to assume my neighbor gave it to the girl that lives with him. I'll know if I see her out wearing it :P

Old 05-29-2014, 08:25 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Call your local office of the Postal Inspection Service. See if they'll send neighbor nasty letter reading them the riot act and the legal ramifications of Obstruction of Correspondence. A lot of times that will do the trick. hard to prosecute cases like this because neighbor can say he returned it back to PO and that couldn't be proved one way or another.

Good luck

Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
If it was sent priority mail, it should be automatically insured up to a certain amount. Go to the post office and/or talk to the postmaster/postmistress about filing an insurance claim and asking what you should do about the mail being delivered to the neighbor.

In fact, I think you can file the insurance claims online. But, you will want to talk to the postmaster, anyway. The postmaster will have more time to chat with you, in my experience. Everybody else is either on a tight schedule (mail carrier) or they are trying to get through customers quickly (clerks at the counter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting