Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,937 times

Advertisements

Okay so.. My husband and I moved out of some money hungry apartments parcstone and everything was spotless except a stain barely noticeable in the master bedroom my baby tilted a Clorox bottle but I soaked it up real quick with a cloth it wasn't very noticeable unless you look closely I couldn't find it later on to make sure it stained so....we move out and they contact us a month later to tell us we weren't going to get our 550 deposit back but had to pay them 60 more dollars to replace the whole carpet of the 1100 sqft apartment ....which summed up to 1154 but since we lived there for 18 months than it came down to 650 or so... I called them and asked why they said they can't just do one room that they had to do the whole apartment and I'm unemployed I have a 1year old my husband is in the army we were counting on that money what should I do? I called the landlord of the apt. But she wasn't available and I called parcstone and they are jerks and want Money out of everything .

The pictures they sent me of the carpet stained you can't see it at all it's ridiculous ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:41 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
I'd fight it. They have to expect normal wear-and-tear. If you put a pin hole in a wall to hang a picture, do they want you to pay to patch the hole and re-paint the entire apartment?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
There is commonly a walk-through and sign-off at the end of a lease. Any damages get pointed out at that time. If that wasn't done, contact the agency that covers tenant's rights in your state and make a complaint with the local Realtor association. It is common for landlords to try to make tenants pay for replacement carpeting even when there is no need to replace carpet.

In the future, ALWAYS take photos or video of a rental that you are leaving and have a witness with you at the time, and at the time of the walk-through.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:31 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
More importantly--why is a bottle of bleach in a place that a 1 year old child can reach it, push it over, and cause a stain?

It should be left up high and with a tight cap. One year olds can't typically open bottles of bleach. They don't have the fine motor skills.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

In the future, ALWAYS take photos or video of a rental that you are leaving and have a witness with you at the time, and at the time of the walk-through.
I think the video camera is the best bet since you're getting 30 frames a second, you are bound to catch every single detail if you take your time. I would suggest video taping before and after. We had a house fire and ended up in a rental for 6 months, it was a big house and had a lot of problems.

First thing I would suggest is try and establish a date in the video, for us it was easy since the leaves were just starting to come on the trees. Just let it keep running. I had someone following me around describing and pointing to the issues and using a flashlight to illuminate the dark areas. Zoom onto anything of particular concern. Open a close all the doors, cabinets and try all the fixtures.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
More importantly--why is a bottle of bleach in a place that a 1 year old child can reach it, push it over, and cause a stain?
My kid did it once.

We just got home from the store and put the bleach at the top of the stairs so the next person heading down to the laundry home could take it. My young son decided to help and pushed the gallon down the stairs. It was busted open before it hit the bottom.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:22 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
My kid did it once.

We just got home from the store and put the bleach at the top of the stairs so the next person heading down to the laundry home could take it. My young son decided to help and pushed the gallon down the stairs. It was busted open before it hit the bottom.
Ever seen what dishwasher detergent can do to carpet?

Friends had their 3 or 4 year old get ahold of one of the sam's club sized jugs of it, and 'clean' the carpet with it. This particular brand apparently had at least a little bit of bleach in it.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
There are three parts to your situations. First, this is a generic response as Landlord Tenant laws vary state to state, as does regulations concerning security deposits.

1. Damages versus Normal Wear and Tear. Without going into details, I don’t know of a single state that would accept spilling bleach on the carpet (baby or adult) that caused a visible difference in the carpet to be anything but damages. It does not matter the "severity" of this stain/discoloration, it damaged the carpet.

2. Cost Basis for Damages. Most states impose some form of depreciation on usable life of carpet in rental units. Some states use the manufactures statement others (many) use the simplified 10 year deprecation based on several studies. You need to look up your state landlord tenant laws to see how they establish depreciation. You also need to research if your state uses the original purchase price or replacement price as the basis for the calculation.

Assuming a standard 10-year, new replacement cost basis, your landlord can charge you for the full replacement cost minus the depreciated years when you moved out. Based on what you said the cost was versus what they are billing you for, it appears they deprecated the carpet by 4.5 years. Without knowing all the details, it appears they are going it the right way.

3. Security Deposit Accounting Statutory Requirements. Each state sets mandatory requirements on how a landlord needs to account for the damages, what they need to send you, how they must send it, and a time limit to conform. Read your state laws to see if the landlord has conformed to the law as for manner, method and timing of their accounting to you.

Unfortunately, based on the minimal information provided, I see nothing wrong with how the landlord is responding and accounting for the security deposit.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Clorox is unfortunately not something you can wipe up and can't be seen.

All the excuses which maybe how you feel about your situation are not something that have to do with the claim.

Your excuse for not having money, having a child and a husband in the army and you counting on the money is not relevant and it doesn't matter if someone can afford it or not. It is about a stain that is not normal wear and tear and you already admit that your child caused it.

I your theory it should be charged maybe to the neighbor who has more money...that sounds like a lot of BS doesn't it, and basically that is also your excuse.

It is like you break it you pay for it....you stain it you pay for it.

About the nail in the wall....our leases are clear about nothing to be hanged on walls unless a box is crossed and we never cross that box and basically tenants have to ask for permission. We never charged for a tiny hole but some tenant make huge holes fora Tv's to hang on the wall and sometimes drill the hole wrong and make more holes...too bad it will be charged towards your security deposit...also a safe drilled to be secured in the floor will be a charge. It is not your house so better ask before having to pay and get it in writing once approved.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
That is baloney to charge you for the whole house when damage is done in one room. Maybe charge for the depreciated value of the carpet in ONE room, not the whole house. Unless there is more damage to whole house, but no, they dont need to change the whole house for one room damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting