Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,431 times

Advertisements

Who pays for light bulbs after tenants are moving out?
I have around 25 bulbs and after they moved 12 are bad
At HomeDepot each of them are close to $10

Is this the tenant or the landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 PM

28 posts, read 43,865 times
Why are renters getikmg $10 led light bulbs? Incandescent or CFLs shouldn't cost that much. If they want to save money on electricity they can byolb.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,298 times
Why did they go bad, dimmers?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Tenants should leave the rental in the same condition as they rented it in. For my rentals I ensure that all lights are in working condition, and I expect tenants to pay for replacements as they burn out.

It seems very likely to me that if you have 12 bad out of 25, they had 12 burn out and bought new ones, saved the burned out ones, then took their good ones with them and screwed in the burned out ones in their place.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM

912 posts, read 5,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It seems very likely to me that if you have 12 bad out of 25, they had 12 burn out and bought new ones, saved the burned out ones, then took their good ones with them and screwed in the burned out ones in their place.
Not necessarily, sometimes a bulb burns out, and you just don't care for the extra light.

I have fixtures with 4 to 6 bulbs, and we generally don't buy replacements until there are 2 or so left. There is plenty of sunlight in the house, and we like it dimly lit at night.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Not necessarily, sometimes a bulb burns out, and you just don't care for the extra light.

I have fixtures with 4 to 6 bulbs, and we generally don't buy replacements until there are 2 or so left. There is plenty of sunlight in the house, and we like it dimly lit at night.
I'm chuckling as I type. I'm a pessimist and a cynic, you're an optimist and probably always expect the best from people. After a few decades in the school of hard knocks I'll bet you would feel differently.

FWIW: I have 31 recessed ceiling lights in my house -- like can type floods. I bought the house about a year ago and I replaced every one of them with LEDs, at a cost over $30 each. I also bought screw in LED lamps for all my various table lamps, porch lights, etc., and now for about $1,200 I have almost zero incandescents, and the LEDs are rated for 20 year lifetime. The only lights I left incandescent were the globe lights over the bathroom vanity in master and guest bathrooms -- because I couldn't find a suitable LED equivalent. I intend to live here so it's a sure bet my investment will pay off. But I digress..........

Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
What kind of light bulbs? $10 per bulb seems pretty high although I did just pay $8 per bulb for small fluorescent tubes in the under cabinet lights in my kitchen. I had been living without them, as I didn't feel they provided enough extra light to bother, although I did replace them since I'm selling my house.

I honestly don't really envision people scurrying around replacing lightbulbs with dead bulbs and then packing up the partially used but no longer in packages bulbs to take with them. Personally, I would assume that they just haven't bothered to replace them as they burned out, knowing that they would be moving.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 AM

404 posts, read 898,456 times
Home Depot (and others) do still have the cheap incandescent bulbs.
Currently hiding in plain sight, not on the light bulb aisle: ask. But only while supplies last.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
If there were working light bulbs in all the fixtures when they moved in, there should be working bulbs in all the fixtures when they move out. If not, replace them and charge them the cost of the bulbs.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:57 PM

575 posts, read 1,469,467 times
It's the tenants responsibility to replace them where I'm from. It's even written in my lease that I'm responsible for them. However, my LL isn't picky and if it's just one blown bulb or something, they'd replace it. 10 of them? That's a lot. I'm going to agree with Lovehound and say they put burned out bulbs back in and took their bulbs with them.

Now... why on Earth are you putting $10 lightbulbs in a rental??? Plus, if they're LED lightbulbs those things are suppose to last like 5 years. I don't think you could ask the tenants to pay full price for them if you need to replace them. Kind of like carpet. If you buy 5 year carpet in a rental and after 2 years, you have to replace it, you can't charge the tenants what you paid 2 years ago.

You can buy 4 packs of the cheap, energy-efficient ones for 88 cents at WalMart. I'd use those and then if this happens again, it's a cheap fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting