Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 9,201 times

Advertisements

I admit it was an idiotic thing to do but I was desperate. I had a job transfer to Santa Cruz and I have a dog which made it nearly impossible to rent an apt. As my start date was approaching and I was still without a place to stay I put an ad on craigslist stating I was willing to pay 6 months up front for anyone who would accept my pet. A guy in a 2/1 house contacted me and we agreed to terms for me to rent a room in his house for 800 per month x 6 months.

I've lived with roommates before for very long periods of time. I lived with a male for 3 years, and a female for 2 years. Never had an issue. This guy however is very difficult to live with. I think since I paid everything up front he's forgotten that I am paying money to live here and treats me like a guest who's overstayed his welcome. He's a control freak when it comes to the utilities. Especially the water.

It started with me not being able to use the washer/dryer so I go to a laundry mat. Then he stood behind me one day while I was doing dishes and shut the water down to a drip and told me California is going through a drought and I need to rinse my dishes with a drip. Well, after seeing him and his guests use the water normally, I ignored the request. He now says the garbage disposal is not working properly and he would prefer If I wipe my dishes clean before quickly rinsing them. He wants absolutely no food residue to go down the drain. Not even crumbs. When it comes to using the shower, he takes a shower once a week and I know it was killing him that I take a shower every day. So today he took apart the shower head and said the pipes are broken and leaking and the shower is out of commission for a while. I used the shower last night and there was no leaking and it was working fine. I believe he has made this up to keep me from taking showers. I then mentioned if he would be ok with ending this agreement early and refunding my money which of course he said he didn't have. But he did say that he would refund it if he came across some funds. Shortly afterwards he then he began slamming doors and forcefully throwing pots around in the kitchen and blasting his stereo.

I have never been so unhappy in a living situation. I am literally depressed over this and having trouble sleeping at night. Be honest with me... Am I being overly sensitive to this and over reacting? Keep in mind I paid 4,800 dollars to move in here. Is it so much to ask that I can take a daily shower for that amount of money?

Is a landlord obligated to provide a working shower for a tenant? I think getting my money back at this point is highly unlikely but I don't know how I'm gonna make it here through the end of March. If he doesn't fix the shower in the next few days I plan on confronting him and telling him this is unacceptable. I'm afraid he may get physical at this point though. Any suggestions on what I can do?

I would highly advise against paying several months in advance and I'll never do it again. When you're paying a monthly rent it's a constant reminder to the landlord why you are living on their property. When you pay it all up front, and a couple of months goes by without any income coming in. They may start to resent you being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie pippy View Post
I admit it was an idiotic thing to do but I was desperate. I had a job transfer to Santa Cruz and I have a dog which made it nearly impossible to rent an apt. As my start date was approaching and I was still without a place to stay I put an ad on craigslist stating I was willing to pay 6 months up front for anyone who would accept my pet. A guy in a 2/1 house contacted me and we agreed to terms for me to rent a room in his house for 800 per month x 6 months.

I've lived with roommates before for very long periods of time. I lived with a male for 3 years, and a female for 2 years. Never had an issue. This guy however is very difficult to live with. I think since I paid everything up front he's forgotten that I am paying money to live here and treats me like a guest who's overstayed his welcome. He's a control freak when it comes to the utilities. Especially the water.

It started with me not being able to use the washer/dryer so I go to a laundry mat. Then he stood behind me one day while I was doing dishes and shut the water down to a drip and told me California is going through a drought and I need to rinse my dishes with a drip. Well, after seeing him and his guests use the water normally, I ignored the request. He now says the garbage disposal is not working properly and he would prefer If I wipe my dishes clean before quickly rinsing them. He wants absolutely no food residue to go down the drain. Not even crumbs. When it comes to using the shower, he takes a shower once a week and I know it was killing him that I take a shower every day. So today he took apart the shower head and said the pipes are broken and leaking and the shower is out of commission for a while. I used the shower last night and there was no leaking and it was working fine. I believe he has made this up to keep me from taking showers. I then mentioned if he would be ok with ending this agreement early and refunding my money which of course he said he didn't have. But he did say that he would refund it if he came across some funds. Shortly afterwards he then he began slamming doors and forcefully throwing pots around in the kitchen and blasting his stereo.

I have never been so unhappy in a living situation. I am literally depressed over this and having trouble sleeping at night. Be honest with me... Am I being overly sensitive to this and over reacting? Keep in mind I paid 4,800 dollars to move in here. Is it so much to ask that I can take a daily shower for that amount of money?

Is a landlord obligated to provide a working shower for a tenant? I think getting my money back at this point is highly unlikely but I don't know how I'm gonna make it here through the end of March. If he doesn't fix the shower in the next few days I plan on confronting him and telling him this is unacceptable. I'm afraid he may get physical at this point though. Any suggestions on what I can do?

I would highly advise against paying several months in advance and I'll never do it again. When you're paying a monthly rent it's a constant reminder to the landlord why you are living on their property. When you pay it all up front, and a couple of months goes by without any income coming in. They may start to resent you being there.
Find a new place to live and small claims court.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,201 times
I thought of that but where's my evidence that all these things took place? He could lie and say I was just trying to get out the lease agreement.

I just brought it up to him that I don't want him to procrastinate on this issue like he has with other ones (internet down for a week) and he erupted in a screaming rage. Thankfully there was someone else in the room with us.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Sorry you are going through this. But it's not only an example of why paying rent in advance is a bad idea. It's also an example if why some people shouldn't have dogs. I rented until I was 33 years old, and finally purchased a home, in large part because I wanted a dog.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie pippy View Post
I admit it was an idiotic thing to do but I was desperate.
I had a job transfer to Santa Cruz and I have a dog which made it nearly impossible to rent an apt.

--Tales of woe deleted--

Any suggestions on what I can do?
Move. ASAP.
Consider it an expensive lesson learned.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sorry you are going through this. But it's not only an example of why paying rent in advance is a bad idea. It's also an example if why some people shouldn't have dogs. I rented until I was 33 years old, and finally purchased a home, in large part because I wanted a dog.
That is one if the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on C-D. You shouldn't have a dog because you rent? No, just don't have a jerk for a landlord (and I'm sure paying rent in advance sure didn't help either). And you can have a jerk for a landlord whether you have a dog or not. The dog doesn't have anything to do with it. We rented a home for a year with two Great Danes on a $300 pet deposit. No problems whatsoever.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 AM

20 posts, read 67,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Uh, yeah, go ahead and disregard this comment OP. Completely absurd and not even worth your energy to read. Paying rent in advance is a bad idea? Ok, well, either way that legal document you sign obliging you to pay rent for X amount of time is called a lease and it puts you in the same bind. Also, some people shouldn't have dogs because they rent? Ok, what else should we not do? Have children? Own plants? We will just exist commitment free because we have to sign a lease?

ANYWAY.

I am very sorry for everything you are going through, I completely sympathize with your situation. Unfortunately I am not sure what you can do at this point. Maybe somebody with more knowledge of California law will be able to shed some light on this. But I do want you to know that you're not alone in this situation, MANY of us have been there, done that. Living with somebody you don't know is always a gamble and we all have to have that one bad experience so we can tell the story later to friends and family. This too shall pass, you'll move on with your life and have a nice happy place to live again and this will be just a bad memory from your past. I once lived with a guy for 9 months and I was completely stuck in that living situation. He POOPED in my cat's litter box, took a key and carved the F word on the walls, was quite literally the most insane and scariest person I've ever met in my life. It was HORRENDOUS but I lived through it and now I have my own place THAT I RENT with a 90 pound retired racing greyhound and we are both happy campers. You and your dog will be too, very soon. Hang in there doll!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I think a working shower would be under the 'an inhabitable place to live' wouldn't it?

I would start by putting everything in writing to your LL/roommate and ask him to do the same. This way you will have evidence you need.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
In California, it is illegal to pay 6 months up front. If the room you are renting did not have furniture, the maximum upfront payment that can be charged is 3 times the rent which includes the first month's rent and everything else is a refundable security deposit.

Do you have a signed lease indicating it is a month-month tenancy with the rent terms? If yes, give 30 days notice and expect to receive the 6 months upfront payment minus accumulated rent minus damages.

If you do not have a lease, it is automatically a month-to-month agreement but it will be your word against his. The canceled check won't do any good because he can just say the rent was $1600/month.

If there is a working tub, a shower does not have to be provided.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
In California, it is illegal to pay 6 months up front. If the room you are renting did not have furniture, the maximum upfront payment that can be charged is 3 times the rent which includes the first month's rent and everything else is a refundable security deposit.

Do you have a signed lease indicating it is a month-month tenancy with the rent terms? If yes, give 30 days notice and expect to receive the 6 months upfront payment minus accumulated rent minus damages.

If you do not have a lease, it is automatically a month-to-month agreement but it will be your word against his. The canceled check won't do any good because he can just say the rent was $1600/month.

If there is a working tub, a shower does not have to be provided.
This.

Also: Start documenting any and every thing that happens (ie go take dated pictures of what he did to the shower). It might seem trivial and petty but it might also save your behind in the future. Any maintenance requests, I would send through email or certified mail (check state laws for the best way). If this person threatens you or you feel threatened (ie throwing objects in your general area, screaming at you, etc...) call the police so you have proof of his behavior. Worst comes to worst, you might be able to get a temporary restraining order against them and they would be required to vacate the premises until your court date <- but I don't know much about that, just seen it used by other people on here so definitely read into that before you do anything that might get you in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting