Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 37,296 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend live in a basement apartment (young students/working part timeish), above us a 4 person family with 2 small little girls. Endlessly, day after day, they slam against the walls almost once every 15 seconds, they drop objects that sound atleast 50 pounds (or maybe jumping off furnature) and it happens like clockwork. We barely make any noise, we're extremely considerate, but myself atleast is fed up (girlfriend is more tolerable some how) They almost daily blast their ****ty pop/techo music at what sounds like 100% volume, 100% bass. We usually play our music at like, 15-25% volume, with zero bass. How is that ****ing fair? Not to mention every single view we have, every window we have, points towards what looks like a childrens playground, toys everywhere, we have to bar off all the windows or else the kids will look in and tap on our windows, theres a slide and swingset immediately in our view, our bedroom window has a childs play set DIRECTLY infront of the window that literally blocks the window. feels like an absolute prison. I feel like we should be paying $300 less just because of all the **** we have to put up with.

I complain every single time it gets out of hand, to the landlord. He usually calls them and says stop. Anyhow, last time I complained (christmas eve) they were blasting their boombox with 100% bass that was shaking my floor from 3 rooms away. Hours later, the husband came down with a visibly noticeable hostile expression and tone,and was trying to start something in relation to me complaining. Before I had the chance to say much, the wife came out on the patio (with her small kids behind her) and started to cuss us out verbally, swearing at the top of her lungs, saying things like 'I'm paying 1200 a month and I dont want to walk on egg shells , if you want to sleep in all day thats your problem you ****ers!!! you should be DECENT human beings and come talk to us first **** you!" We don't even sleep in late, we're just ****ing quiet and you can't hear us, ****, and we don't want to talk to you first, because you seem like aggressive backwoods unintelligent idiots, sorry. Oh yeah, they also flush the toilet sometimes every 2 minutes while I shower, making the water go freezing cold. Theres no way its a coincidence, it happens every minute or two sometimes when I'm in the shower, followed directly by the sound of a toilet flushing. A$$Holes!!!!!!!

So after that, I was just like "alright, appreciate that guys" and he walked away and she went back inside. To no surprise, the slamming objects, slamming against walls, and general noise is even worse now. I almost feel like they do this **** intentionally just to **** us off because they resent the fact we live here. I almost feel like the parents encourage the children to be as noisy as ****ing possible, or atleast do ****ing NOTHING to prevent anything and teach them to be respectful to their neighbors. I'm also a musician and I've basically given up my passion for these people. I have an electronic rubber pad drum set that i use to tap on, but within 10 seconds they slam the ceiling so hard it shakes the room, (keep in mind I use headphones so theres no sound, and you cant even hear the tapping outside the door of the room) so I gave it up. I barely play my guitar anymore as well because of them. Where is the fairness here?

Not sure what to do, landlord seems to be siding with them (probably because they pay more money than us, such as when I asked him to come over to the apartment to hear how loud they were, he went to them first, basically voiding the problem completely because they stopped as soon as he knocked) and generally doesn't do anything. We typically now, have been living like this each and every day for almost a year. My sanity is running low, almost once an hour theres such a loud ****ing CRASH that my heart skips a beat and I jump up and go like "**** what was that?" I don't know what to do besides look for another place. I even bought a god damn decibel meter to ENSURE we're never above like, 65db. We are being beyond reasonable, and they are being ignorant and aggressive and generally huge *******s.

I've lived in multiple apartments before, never had this problem or anything NEAR this awful, even living with ROOMMATES was better! Am I just crazy? am I too sensitive? is this a problem with ME or is this a legitimate situation where these people are just awful human beings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobystop View Post
Me and my girlfriend live in a basement apartment (young students/working part timeish), above us a 4 person family with 2 small little girls. Endlessly, day after day, they slam against the walls almost once every 15 seconds, they drop objects that sound atleast 50 pounds (or maybe jumping off furnature) and it happens like clockwork.
Remember this experience the next time you walk past a Trojans display at the store.

Quote:
I complain every single time it gets out of hand, to the landlord.
He usually calls them and says stop.
That's more than he has to do.

Quote:
Not sure what to do...
Bottom line? Suck it up or move.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:26 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Move, it will only stay the same or get worse.

Most people could not care less about about the health, well-being and sanity of someone outside of their immediate circle.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:34 PM

14 posts, read 37,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Remember this experience the next time you walk past a Trojans display at the store.

That's more than he has to do.

Bottom line? Suck it up or move.
Trojans as in condoms? Yeah I know that children suck, i'll never have them myself. Maybe they resent their children because they were accidental so they take it out on us by letting them be untamed beasts? who knows.

Would you suck it up if you lived here? I think you'd be saying the same things.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Would you suck it up if you lived here? I think you'd be saying the same things.
I like to think I'd be more careful about moving in somewhere with a family and young kids above me...
but if put in the same situation I'd be planning a move.

It's really your only choice.
Even if the parents try there will still be a family with kids above you.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:13 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Almost a year? Then your lease is over and you can move. Live upstairs next time.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:27 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Best of luck to you. Move when your lease expires. When I was younger and lived in apartments I would not rent unless I was on a top floor. The way most apartments are built with no sound proofing and construction that just meets minimum codes even relatively quiet neighbors can be a problem.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:15 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
First of all, flushing the toilet should cause your shower to go hot, not cold.

Secondly, why don't you just move for heaven's sake? The answer is so simple, really.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
First of all, the only thing in your essay you can legitimately complain about is the blasting music. The rest of it is daily living noise. When the music starts blasting, call your landlord and then call the police.

There isn't anything your landlord can or will do about the banging noises, dropping noises, general living noises because it's part of living in a multifamily unit. As for the flushing of the toilet..how is there water connected to yours? Is this a house converted to apartments? I've lived in multi level buildings and never had an issue like this.

Either suck it up or break your lease and move. Would I suck it up? I wouldn't tolerate the music, that's for sure. But as for the other noise? That's a building/construction issue and good luck getting that improved/changed. So, if you can't deal with it, talk to your landlord and move to an upper floor unit in a concrete building.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Trojans as in condoms? Yeah I know that children suck, i'll never have them myself. Maybe they resent their children because they were accidental so they take it out on us by letting them be untamed beasts? who knows.

you know who else sucks? Entitled college kids!

I deal with these brats on a daily basis...they take, take and take, but give nothing in return. They expect to get life handed to them on a silver platter and expect everyone else in the world to bow to their needs/demands.

I bet it's because their parents coddled them and gave into all of their demands and never told them to 'suck it up, buttercup' I wish their parents thought of Trojans 20 something years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting