Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,285 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m a landlord in California and recently my long-time tenant called me to ask permission to paint the house a different color. I really did not have an issue with this, even though there was no problem with the previous color but he offered to pay for the paint job himself. Again, I had no issue with this since he was paying, so I approved.

When I went to the property recently, I saw the new paint job and the house looked nice. However, I also noticed that my tenant had made a landscaping improvement (one that I was not aware of, thus not having my official approval) by adding artificial/fake grass placed in the front yard. Prior to this work being done, the front yard was mostly dirt with patchy grass growth, so it does have a nice look now. I admit I was a bit surprised but it didn’t really bother me that much since he paid for it.

As we were talking about how good the improvements were, he did ask if I would consider maybe giving him a bit of a discount by deducting some amount from the months rent. I told him I would give it some thought and get back to him.

To be clear, my tenant did not ask me to fully reimburse him for the work, but just some kind discount in the a months rent.

He’s been my tenant for many years and has been a good one. He has taken care of the property and never had any problems, complaints or issues other than the normal plumbing or electrical issue every once in a blue moon.

In good faith, I was actually considering not increasing the rent this year instead of a deduction from one of the payments. I was looking for thoughts or suggestions if you think this is a good way to go?

Also, as a general question, I just want to confirm - Am I actually obligated to reimburse him back for the cost of any of this?

I mean, these were improvements he wanted to do on his own and the artificial grass was placed without my knowledge or prior approval, so I am assuming that the answer would be no?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 01:10 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitblast View Post
When I went to the property recently, I saw the new paint job and the house looked nice.
However, I also noticed that my tenant had made a landscaping improvement...

Am I actually obligated to reimburse him back for the cost of any of this?
Nope.
Now think about what your options are when the work done is awful (or later proves to be).

Old 07-19-2019, 01:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Hello,

I’m a landlord in California and recently my long-time tenant called me to ask permission to paint the house a different color. I really did not have an issue with this, even though there was no problem with the previous color but he offered to pay for the paint job himself. Again, I had no issue with this since he was paying, so I approved.

When I went to the property recently, I saw the new paint job and the house looked nice. However, I also noticed that my tenant had made a landscaping improvement (one that I was not aware of, thus not having my official approval) by adding artificial/fake grass placed in the front yard. Prior to this work being done, the front yard was mostly dirt with patchy grass growth, so it does have a nice look now. I admit I was a bit surprised but it didn’t really bother me that much since he paid for it.

As we were talking about how good the improvements were, he did ask if I would consider maybe giving him a bit of a discount by deducting some amount from the months rent. I told him I would give it some thought and get back to him.

To be clear, my tenant did not ask me to fully reimburse him for the work, but just some kind discount in the a months rent.

He’s been my tenant for many years and has been a good one. He has taken care of the property and never had any problems, complaints or issues other than the normal plumbing or electrical issue every once in a blue moon.

In good faith, I was actually considering not increasing the rent this year instead of a deduction from one of the payments. I was looking for thoughts or suggestions if you think this is a good way to go?

Also, as a general question, I just want to confirm - Am I actually obligated to reimburse him back for the cost of any of this?

I mean, these were improvements he wanted to do on his own and the artificial grass was placed without my knowledge or prior approval, so I am assuming that the answer would be no?

Thanks

Nope. You have no obligation to give them discounts or reimburse any money unless previously agreed to do so.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
You need to emphasize that he cannot do anything - even something that might be an improvement - without your permission. Have a conversation, see if there are other projects that he would like to do, and talk up front about whether or not they are ok with you.

that's separate from reducing his rent or paying him back, and absent an unusual clause in the lease, you are under no legal obligation. But I personally think that telling him that you won't raise the rent next year in exchange for what he's done (and anything you BOTH agree to in the future) is a very good trade off on your side. It would likely only take a month's vacancy to end up with you coming out behind, and having a long term reliable tenant who clearly wants to treat the property like his own (in a positive way) is a great thing for a landlord. You should absolutely work with him to keep him happy and keep him as a tenant for as long as possible, as long as he continues to remain a good and reliable tenant.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:52 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
You are under no obligation, but I would definitely want to keep such a good tenant.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:09 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Heck no. He asked to do a improvement that didn’t need to be done.. he wanted a different color. He can eat the cost.

Next time, you need make sure you’re more involved with the improvement; you have no idea what you’ll end up with.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:16 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,145,269 times
No you are not responsible to pay him anything back. Just keep in mind that if he ever hires someone to work on your rental, regardless if authorized or not and he doesn't pay them you will ultimately be responsible for it. With that being said, tenant that want to stay longtime in the rental will often be wiling to make improvement themselves at their cost. There is really noting wrong with that.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,285 times
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Knowing that I am not required to pay for this work puts me at ease. As suggested by many of you above, I think I do need to have a conversation with him and ask that he notify me first before making such improvements in the future.

I guess now it’s just a matter of deciding whether I want to skip the upcoming rent increase this time. I’ve raised the rent for the last couple of years and I do appreciate that he is a good, reliable tenant with a willingness to improve / care for the house. I think I might be leaning that direction.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:26 PM

389 posts, read 276,804 times
Without having an agreed upon understanding you are not obligated. HOWEVER, it sounds to me like this tenant just IMPROVED the perceived value of your home for you. Think about it, how much could you have sold it for prior to the changes and how much can you sell it for now?
If someone actually shows they give a bleep about your place I think that should be rewarded in some way.
But it's your call in the end.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Knowing that I am not required to pay for this work puts me at ease. As suggested by many of you above, I think I do need to have a conversation with him and ask that he notify me first before making such improvements in the future.

I guess now it’s just a matter of deciding whether I want to skip the upcoming rent increase this time. I’ve raised the rent for the last couple of years and I do appreciate that he is a good, reliable tenant with a willingness to improve / care for the house. I think I might be leaning that direction.

I would not raise the rent. Good tenants are hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting