Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:02 PM

418 posts, read 727,723 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling pretty good about my slightly neglectful landlord right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 02:52 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I can just imagine the all kinds of issues if the tenant was in the shower and the landlord simply walked in...
One would say a landlord COULD be mistaken for an intruder and be shot by the tenant. Me? I would feel as though my very life was in danger if I seen my landlord in my house. How would you know if it was your landlord or some random person breaking into your home?

Old 03-08-2015, 03:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Advanced notice unless emergency situation (fire, explosion, death, etc.). That's the law.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:32 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Advanced notice unless emergency situation (fire, explosion, death, etc.). That's the law.

Please cite such law.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Please cite such law.
In the majority of states it is in fact the law with many states being particularly specific about exactly how the notice of entry is to be delivered.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:35 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Quote:
Please cite such law.
Landlord tenant laws vary by state. Look them up.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Please cite such law.
Making it easy for you:

State Laws on Landlord

Old 03-08-2015, 04:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Please cite such law.
Rabrrita did cite the law. I think you're just about stirring the pot.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,228 times
In Quebec, landlords can enter a tenant's dwelling only in case of an emergency that involves a fire and/or flood.

Other than that, the landlord has to give notice if s/he wants to enter a tenant's apartment.

One former landlady we had once entered our upper floor duplex and put stinkbomb juice in our kitchen. She didn't like our budgie. She thought he made too much noise. We heard her complaining about him via our kitchen floor (terrible insulation in that building!)

It was okay for her to blare all the TVs in her apartment when he husband was at work, though. She'd hide in the basement away from the ruckus and watch TV there.

We put a piece of paper on our front door the next day after she'd pulled the stinkbomb stunt and sure enough, when we got home, the paper had moved. We let her know via loud discussion in our kitchen that we were aware of what she'd been up to, knowing that she'd be able to hear us. So did her husband and daughters. She didn't blare her TVs once they got home from their jobs. One of her daughters had a boyfriend who was a cop, too, and she deemed it wise to stop sneaking into our place.

The janitor in one building we lived in used to let himself into certain apartments. He never tried to come into our place, though. We had no love for each other and he knew we'd contact the landlord if he tried to enter our apartment. We left traps for him, too, and none were ever disturbed.

I'm so glad that we bought a house in 2010.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,614 times
i'm moving next week , Jersey, landlord told me she would need a copy for emergencies. and since the key that she gave me is the only copy, i would need to make a copy and give it to her then she'd reimburse me for the copy.... i'm not really liking this.. would i be able to add another lock? there's just one lock...

Before she handed me the keys, i was planning on changing the locks, now i don't have that option.. I have no problems w/ her, but i'm not sure if she changed the locks after the last tenants moved and i always change locks after i move in... not sure what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting