Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,057 times

Advertisements

Lord knows I need help on this. I recently moved to Georgia and started dating a fella whom had been living in a hotel for a year. His play brother also lived in the room. To make a long story short the brother came to me and said that he got approved for an apartment and that all 3 of us can move in and split the bills three ways. I was excited but weary at the same time but I went along with it because I had nowhere else to go to. So I gave $500 towards the move in (total rent plus deposit was $1500) cause we moved in the middle of the month. Well the next month rolls around and I pay my portion of the rent ($290) then the next day after he has taken my money he says his play sister is pregnant and has no place to go so he needs me to move! So I asked for my money back and he says no I don't get nothing back cause I'm not on the lease but we had a verbal agreement and I have text messages stating as such that I was supposed to stay there for a year. He doesn't want the brother gone just me! I'm 900 miles away from home and these people took my money and now I'm homeless. Can somebody help me figure out who I need to talk to or a phone number for someone because I didn't give $800 to be scammed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Best advice is to seek legal counsel. If you can't afford an attorney then go to Legal Aid in your area and ask for their help.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 AM

1,077 posts, read 874,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Johnson View Post
Lord knows I need help on this. I recently moved to Georgia and started dating a fella whom had been living in a hotel for a year. His play brother also lived in the room. To make a long story short the brother came to me and said that he got approved for an apartment and that all 3 of us can move in and split the bills three ways. I was excited but weary at the same time but I went along with it because I had nowhere else to go to. So I gave $500 towards the move in (total rent plus deposit was $1500) cause we moved in the middle of the month. Well the next month rolls around and I pay my portion of the rent ($290) then the next day after he has taken my money he says his play sister is pregnant and has no place to go so he needs me to move! So I asked for my money back and he says no I don't get nothing back cause I'm not on the lease but we had a verbal agreement and I have text messages stating as such that I was supposed to stay there for a year. He doesn't want the brother gone just me! I'm 900 miles away from home and these people took my money and now I'm homeless. Can somebody help me figure out who I need to talk to or a phone number for someone because I didn't give $800 to be scammed!

Doesn't matter if you're not on the lease, he rented you a room..

I'd go right to the civil courthouse and bring litigation against him. If you have all the evidence in text messages, he must give you back your money.

It seems he changed your verbal contract by inviting his sister in to live with you all..

don't let him get over on you..get your funds back..

Old 03-16-2015, 06:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,371,402 times
What the heck is a "play brother" and a "play sister"? Is this just pretend?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,034,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
What the heck is a "play brother" and a "play sister"? Is this just pretend?
Sounds like some crust punk homeless teenager BS.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:47 AM

912 posts, read 5,266,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Sounds like some crust punk homeless teenager BS.
You may just be right. From Urban Dictionary.

Urban Dictionary: PLAY BROTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Brother
The undercover love interest of a woman who is engaging another man outside her marriage or relationship. To her husband, this extra guy is a friend (play brother), when the truth is she and this "play brother" may have been intimate in the past, but the relationship did not work out.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,599,354 times
You're under what's called a month to month verbal lease agreement . He has to legally give you notice to get you to move. He can't just kick you out. His pregnant baby play momma needing a place is not your issue. You can actually call the cops because he cannot barr you from the property. You should get a receipt for ANY cash transactions to prove that you did give payment.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:30 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,184,610 times
Tell him to return your money, or that if he tries to kick you out you'll call the cops -- and then do it. What have you got to lose? At least make life as difficult for him as he is making it for you.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
Around here, a "play friend " is an imaginary friend.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:11 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,799,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Johnson View Post
I guess lesson learned and move on. You have made a bad choice of friends and be happy that it didn't cost you more than this. If your name would be on the lease and they didn't pay the rent which you clearly didn't check on, you could have an eviction added to your name.

Playing and trying to live as an adult means you have to take the responsibilities as an adult. You are safe and just learned an expensive lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting