Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 2,257 times

Advertisements

i signed a one year lease a couple years ago with a roommate and after that year lease was up i moved out but my roommate stayed. I never signed a renewal am i still on that lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Did you sign yourself off the lease? If not, and your roommate also didn't sign a renewal (in her name only), you are likely still on the lease in a month to month tenancy.

Didn't you request to be signed off and get you security deposit back?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,757,846 times
You can't "sign yourself" off a lease but the LL can relieve you of all further obligations under it. However, the security deposit is not usually returned until the unit is vacated by all parties and the landlord will return it, less any deductions, to the tenant who paid it - often written in the names of all parties to the lease. If you weren't relieved from your obligations to the lease you'll also be responsible for any damages not covered by the security deposit and, if it ends up in court, you'll also be named in the suit. That's the worst case scenario and hopefully won't be in your future!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM

no once the lease was up I moved out I figured since I didn't sign a renewal I was taken off

Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi123 View Post
no once the lease was up I moved out I figured since I didn't sign a renewal I was taken off
So you weren't and, as the previous poster noted, if the lease rolled over to a month to month under the terms of the original lease you remain obligated to it. Check with your former roommate to see whether or she signed a new lease or whether she's on a month to month. If she signed a new lease then you're off the hook.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 AM

thank you

Old 04-02-2015, 10:50 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
OP, you are on the lease until the unit is returned to the landlord. When you move out, you must contact the landlord and make arrangements for the landlord to take you off the lease. You can not take yourself off the lease and your ex-roommate can not take you off the lease.

Don't check with the roommate. Go directly to the landlord and find out if a new lease was signed without your name on it. If a new lease was signed with just the roommate's name on it, then you are OK.

Sometimes a new lease isn't signed. The property goes month to month, and then you are still on the hook.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Don't check with the roommate. Go directly to the landlord ...
No reason not to go to the former roommate if they're still on good terms. Not every roommate situation ends up acrimoniously. If this one did then contacting the LL would be the next obvious step.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:51 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,835,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No reason not to go to the former roommate if they're still on good terms. Not every roommate situation ends up acrimoniously. If this one did then contacting the LL would be the next obvious step.
I would still confirm with the landlord though. Not because of it being acrimonious but just to ensure everything is accurate. After all worst case scenario, the roommate has a disagreement with the landlord over something and all of a sudden both roommates are called in to court. What is the OP going to say, "Oh but friend told me...." In something like this OP, I would ask for it in writing if at all possible just to cover yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting