Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 01:20 AM

170 posts, read 292,202 times

Advertisements

So the tenant I had vacated my rental by sending me an email without sending any kind of 30 day notice. He left all kinds of his belongings and furniture. I responded to his email asking if he is planning on coming back and picking up his items. After couple days he has not responded. So I sent him another email informing of the 21 day CA law and he still has not responded to my email. I know the correct thing is to send him a certified mail but I do not know where the guy moved too. I want to make sure this guy doesn't sue me because I got rid of his stuff. He also didn't leave the keys or garage door opener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 05:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Send him a return receipt certified letter to his last known address which in this case would be the unit he rented from you. When it's not picked up and is returned to you by USPS, retain it unopened in case needed.

This link will explain exactly what you need to include in the letter:

Handling a Tenant's Abandoned Property: Legal Notice Requirements | Nolo.com

Also look up the CA law on abandonment of the unit/property. Since his belongings are still there and the keys haven't been returned, he's still legally your tenant and liable for rent and if there is anything of value in the unit you may be entitled to sell same in due course to recoup your losses.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:15 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
California

Abandonment of Personal Property in the Rental

https://www.thelpa.com/lpa/landlord-..._property.html

Old 05-09-2015, 03:08 PM

170 posts, read 292,202 times
Thanks for the info! That's the letter I am sending to him. Also, do I need to send a lease termination letter to cover my a$$ or it should be ok since it is obvious they have left?

Old 05-09-2015, 03:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Be careful because I had similar and was contacted by a lawyer months later with a claim I had illegally disposed of tenant property...

Thankfully, I had not and everything was in storage... and I mean everything from furniture to the wastepaper basket...

I knew to properly dispose of the items would have required a sale and publishing... something I had no time for.

Anyway... I told the lawyer I would waive all storage fees and have the items delivered anywhere in the city within 24 hours... the silence was priceless.

What I did was fill my 20' enclosed car trailer with the contents... so moving was easy.

When I arrived, my former tenants started to cherry pick... I said their lawyer required all belonging returned... I unloaded, took pictures and was on my way... avoided a $5,000 claim!!!

Vacant unit is rent lost forever...

I would take posession, store items and get the place rented ASAP keeping documentation of all correspondence.

I am not offering legal advice...

Old 05-09-2015, 03:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruddah View Post
Thanks for the info! That's the letter I am sending to him. Also, do I need to send a lease termination letter to cover my a$$ or it should be ok since it is obvious they have left?
Suggest you seek a legal opinion. This is something you need to do by the book so it doesn't come back to bite you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting