Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 11:59 AM

26 posts, read 31,007 times

Advertisements

I came to CD a little over a month ago to get some advice. I've stuck around and learned so much from reading these pages! Thank you so much to all the contributors! We have this local scam artist, and I've wondered how he continues to get away with his behavior. It just occurred to me to ask you all.

We first became aware of this man a few years ago. Let's call him Dean. An acquaintance of ours had rented their beautiful home to Dean. Long story short, Dean moved in, wrote a bad check for furnishings to the previous tenants' employer (gas guys; their company paid for furnishing and the bad check wasn't enough for them to pursue apparently - ~$5000), he began running the house as a B&B, collecting rental fees from guests, but never paying our acquaintance's rent. They finally got him out, but the way I understand it, he was able to get away without paying a dime in back rent or fees because he agreed to vacate within three days of their final court date or something like that.

His name came up again last year when we had several people call to ask about vacancy at our vacation rental because they arrived to the area, only to find the property Dean advertised didn't exist. Luckily, they had all paid deposits via credit card, so they would be able to dispute the charges.

More recently, we learned from someone "in the loop" on the legal side of things that he is still running this scam. He has a multitude of websites advertising accommodations with lavish appointments, promising the world and more (one I saw still has pictures of our acquaintance's house, with their address listed WHERE THEY CURRENTLY LIVE!). He secures a deposit via credit card for your reservation, but never delivers. The customers get their money back by filing a dispute, and the credit card companies don't pursue charges because the amount is under a certain threshold. I did see where one woman has started a post on ripped off report dot com about him (which he hilariously tries to defend, including posting a picture of the house and claiming he's started legal proceedings for defamation, lol). He does have positive reviews on trip advisor, vrbo, etc, all self penned I'm sure.

So, how does a person like this continue to get away with it? I'm sure karma will eventually catch up, but I just don't understand why he hasn't been criminally prosecuted yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:22 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Has anyone filed a police report?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
How much art can a scam artist scam if a scam artist can scam art?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM

26 posts, read 31,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post

That I don't know. I am guessing no, since he's still at it.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:33 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addtcd View Post
That I don't know. I am guessing no, since he's still at it.
Well if they want him criminally prosecuted they will need to file a police report.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I would guess that the police would say it's a civil matter.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addtcd View Post
I came to CD a little over a month ago to get some advice. I've stuck around and learned so much from reading these pages! Thank you so much to all the contributors! We have this local scam artist, and I've wondered how he continues to get away with his behavior. It just occurred to me to ask you all.

We first became aware of this man a few years ago. Let's call him Dean. An acquaintance of ours had rented their beautiful home to Dean. Long story short, Dean moved in, wrote a bad check for furnishings to the previous tenants' employer (gas guys; their company paid for furnishing and the bad check wasn't enough for them to pursue apparently - ~$5000), he began running the house as a B&B, collecting rental fees from guests, but never paying our acquaintance's rent. They finally got him out, but the way I understand it, he was able to get away without paying a dime in back rent or fees because he agreed to vacate within three days of their final court date or something like that.

His name came up again last year when we had several people call to ask about vacancy at our vacation rental because they arrived to the area, only to find the property Dean advertised didn't exist. Luckily, they had all paid deposits via credit card, so they would be able to dispute the charges.

More recently, we learned from someone "in the loop" on the legal side of things that he is still running this scam. He has a multitude of websites advertising accommodations with lavish appointments, promising the world and more (one I saw still has pictures of our acquaintance's house, with their address listed WHERE THEY CURRENTLY LIVE!). He secures a deposit via credit card for your reservation, but never delivers. The customers get their money back by filing a dispute, and the credit card companies don't pursue charges because the amount is under a certain threshold. I did see where one woman has started a post on ripped off report dot com about him (which he hilariously tries to defend, including posting a picture of the house and claiming he's started legal proceedings for defamation, lol). He does have positive reviews on trip advisor, vrbo, etc, all self penned I'm sure.

So, how does a person like this continue to get away with it? I'm sure karma will eventually catch up, but I just don't understand why he hasn't been criminally prosecuted yet.
The problem is that people are letting him get away with it, writing a bad check is a crime. Letting him agree to vacate and letting him agree to not pay what he wasn't going to pay anyway is a problem and some other sucker is going to fall for his scam, You have to evict these professional scam artists so they can't prey on decent people who look into his past, after that he can only scam dumb people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting