Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding, I sincerely wish they would just ask if I accept Section 8 instead of showing up for a viewing, thinking that if they spend half an hour charming me and filing out the application before they mention that they are HUD tenants that I will take them. They could save both me and them a lot of time if they would ask in the first phone call. That way I could tell them what they would need to do to qualify over the phone at first contact.
Their time with you isn't wasted really. Normally if they aren't with you they are at home on the computer or couch watching TV, or both. In AZ I can flat out deny based on Section 8, I don't even respond to these people's emails. If its a phone call the first thing they ask is if I accept and I say no and they normally hang up. There are people that need Section 8 and would be great tenants but the rest of them ruined it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:44 PM

70 posts, read 76,660 times
I thought that here in Oregon the law was changed last summer that landlords are required to accept Section 8 now.

Quote:
Adding, I sincerely wish they would just ask if I accept Section 8 instead of showing up for a viewing, thinking that if they spend half an hour charming me and filing out the application before they mention that they are HUD tenants that I will take them. They could save both me and them a lot of time if they would ask in the first phone call. That way I could tell them what they would need to do to qualify over the phone at first contact.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 PM

199 posts, read 384,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy01 View Post
I thought that here in Oregon the law was changed last summer that landlords are required to accept Section 8 now.
http://laneroa.com/Resources/Documen...ncome+FAQs.pdf

You don't HAVE TO accept them no, treat them as any other application, tell them 3x the rent income ratio etc, good credit score, NO EVICTIONS!!!! etc. Majority of them would probably not pay the application fee to begin with lol. Since most people who don't have section 8 tend to have 3x the rent income ratio and have a great credit score and etc.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
My sister is Section 8 only because she lost her husband early and has 4 kids. Her income is insufficient to get a proper home. If that is the case then most landlords would approve all things except for income which section 8 makes up the diference. I think these sort of tenants are worth renting to.

So if there is a section 8 tenant application but they have a good background, good record, high credit score, but just have less income... would you discriminate?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
My sister is Section 8 only because she lost her husband early and has 4 kids. Her income is insufficient to get a proper home. If that is the case then most landlords would approve all things except for income which section 8 makes up the diference. I think these sort of tenants are worth renting to.

So if there is a section 8 tenant application but they have a good background, good record, high credit score, but just have less income... would you discriminate?
there's probably going to be another applicant who has maybe a better credit score, better rental history, income without section 8, etc. and you choose to go with them cause they make more money, anyone who isn't on section 8 will be making enough money to not need it so you go with the better qualified person thats how it is.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:54 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Section 8 will pay reliably. If the person who pays their own money ends up unemployed, they might be forced to stop paying, and desperately look for another job in other cities, and move there and leave the place neglected because they don't have time for it in their desperation.

OTOH, section 8 is probably too much paperwork, bureaucracy, requirements, etc., and might be a big headache.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:20 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post

otoh, section 8 is probably too much paperwork, bureaucracy, requirements, etc., and might be a big headache.
^^^^this^^^^^

Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
As a landlord in PA, I simply tell the person that I am not qualify for HVC when the question for Section 8 voucher comes up.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

Can't you tell them what they need to qualify when they call to make an appointment to see the place?

It may not help much but it may also deter at least a few.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
As a landlord in PA, I simply tell the person that I am not qualify for HVC when the question for Section 8 voucher comes up.
hahah smart as heck lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting