Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,823 times

Advertisements

Hello. Got a question. My Grandmother lives in a trailer park. She owns the trailer and rents the land. The park was just sold and the new owners have released like 12 pages of new rules, fines, expenses, ect. Reading through them a ton of the stuff sounds completely illegal for them to place on the tenants of the trailer park. Things like only being able to have visitors for 12 nights in a year, new charges for animals, No playground equipment for kids, Just really stupid and dumb things. The charges for animals I can see being done IF they owned the trailer but in my Grandmother's case they don't own the trailer just the land it's on. As far as the limit on guests. Every guest must register with the owner of the trailer park, they reserve the right to deny access to any guest they choose to for whatever reason they choose to, it all sounds way over the top and NO ONE I have talked to in the park is happy about it. Also the rent has more then doubled in the last year.

So I am just looking for people's thoughts on this before calling for legal council on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 02:33 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Its a trailer! Hook it up, and move it out!

Old 08-09-2015, 02:43 PM

It's a old Trailer in need of some work and we have no idea if it would survive the move.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Also there are 3 trailer parks in town. 2 of them were owned by the same person and were both sold to these new owners. The 3rd park is much nicer then the other 2 But I believe there are no openings.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Assuming the land lease is similar to an apartment lease, the changes cannot go into effect until her lease is up. So, she would then sign a new lease, and abide by the new rules or sell the trailer and move on.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:43 PM

§9094-A. RESTRICTIONS ON SALE WHEN A MOBILE HOME PARK IS SOLD
1. Notice of offer to purchase the mobile home park. Except as provided in subsection 3, if the owner
of a mobile home park receives an offer to purchase the mobile home park and the park owner intends to
accept that offer, the owner shall give 45 days' written notice to tenants of the mobile home park. The notice
must indicate that the owner has received an offer to purchase the mobile home park and that the owner
intends to accept that offer. During the 45-day notice period, the owner may not execute a contract for the
purchase and sale of the mobile home park. The owner must mail by regular mail a separate notice to each
park tenant.
[ 1989, c. 768, (NEW) .]
2. Option contract. Nothing in this subsection prohibits the owner of a mobile home park from
obtaining at any time from a buyer an option to sell the mobile home park if:
A. The option does not bind the owner who obtains the option to sell the park to the buyer; and
[1989, c. 768, (NEW).]
B. The option of the owner may not be exercised prior to expiration of the 45-day notice provided for in
subsection 1. [1989, c. 768, (NEW).]
[ 1989, c. 768, (NEW) .]

3. Exception; no change of use for 2 years. The owner of a mobile home park may sell the park
without notifying tenants in the manner provided by subsection 1 if the purchase and sale agreement for the
mobile home park provides for a deed containing a covenant, enforceable by tenants of the mobile home park,
that forbids the purchaser from changing the use of the mobile home park for 2 years after the transfer.
[ 1989, c. 768, (NEW) .]
4. Enforcement. A mobile homeowner, group of mobile homeowners or a mobile homeowners'
association aggrieved by a violation of this section may bring an action in Superior Court against the violator
for injunctive relief, damages and attorney's fees.

Based on the above from our state law it sounds like the entire sale of the trailer park was illegal. They never got 45 day notice before the park was sold. They got less then 30 day notice of the changes... So the only option the new owners have at this point is to not have the changes go into effect for 2 years or everyone in the trailer park has the ability to take the new owners to court under subsection 4.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,244,125 times
You need a lawyer familiar with your areas rental laws. We can't help you in this matter. If they sent a mailed notice of sale through regular mail, likely, you have no grounds and must accept the new rules or leave, assuming you aren't in a current lease that doesn't have a clause regarding change of ownership and rules.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Are you living with your grandmother and concerned about the visitor clause? Does she have a pet or plan to get a pet? If she doesn't have any kids does it matter to her if the playground equipment is removed?

Possibly none of this other stuff impacts your grandmother other than increased lot rent, which seems to be the biggest issue. Do they give additional freebies with the lot rent, such as lawn cutting, basic cable tv, etc.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM

I do live with my Grandmother during the summers. She's in her 80s and my Mom and I come up alot to help her and like I said I spend the summers with her. We babysit my Cousin's kids when they need us to as well which there is also a limit on the number of people you can babysit at one time which at times we pass that number.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:03 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
#'s 3 & 4 do not impact your grandmother at this time. Changing the use of the mobile home park means using the land for something other than a mobile home park. It does not mean the new owner cannot change the stipulations & regulations for living in the park. You need legal help if you think # 1 & 2 were violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting