Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 02:35 PM

14 posts, read 11,586 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

We have a 1200 square foot finished basement with 3 windows, sliding glass doors, full bathroom with bath tub. The heating/air conditioning is controlled by the middle level. Our tenant has lived here since February, sometimes travels, uses our laundry on Sundays, and never comes up to use the kitchen. She has a mini fridge/microwave in the basement.

She's currently paying $925/month including all utilities (internet too). Today she asked us if her nephew who is a toddler could move in as his parents are having family troubles. Poor boy but he's blessed to have an amazing aunt.

Originally we liked the idea of only having 1 tenant, no children, for the peace and solitude. Plus she travels sometimes. But we are open to entertaining the idea of him staying. We've even considered building a kitchenette down there with tile, cabinets, bigger fridge, counter space, etc.

I feel as though a toddler would, because instead of 68 degrees we'd keep it on 70 in the winter. Also he would take hot baths every night and our tenant currently doesn't cook but said she would cook every night for him. Plus the wear and tear I would think having a toddler with a lot of energy would do some wear and tear? The whole house is immaculate.

Would you charge extra for utilities or even rent in general if he moved in? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:04 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,737 times
I personally wouldn't charge extra for rent for 1 additional person. If 2 or 3 additional people, then yes it would be justified. A child is not going to cause that much in additional wear and tear and besides, if any damage is caused then deduct it from security deposit once they move.

Just wait until closer to their lease renewal to determine if it is costing you a lot extra on utilities and then increase the rent accordingly on the renewal date for some of the additional cost on utilities.

Sounds like you have a good tenant otherwise all around so that is worth it's weight in gold right there.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Thanks for your input!! She mentioned she doesn't mind paying more for utilties and to just let her know the amount when her nephew moves in in October. So we haven't really thought it through.. once we do (in a day or so) we'll discuss it with her whether we'd like to ask more or not.

Thanks so much.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:18 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Sounds like you have an illegal apartment. To my understanding Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William Counties all frown on the type of arrangement you are describing. You might want to think about whether moving in other bodies will inspire your neighbors to turn you in.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,146 times
Legally speaking the guardian of the child would need to occupy the premises and if found out you can run into problems with the city/law. They could ding you for having a basement apartment without getting a permit first if it is required in your area as Oldhag1 said, I don't know the laws regarding basement apartments in your area.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 AM

Good info need to look into everything thanks =)

Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
So ... if she travels, what happens to the child then?

Will you be asked to "watch him" occasionally?

Will she want you to install a swing set in the yard? If he is injured on your property, will YOU be liable?

She basically wants to bring a child into the equialent of a motel room, with only a microwave and fridge.

I would not be in favor of this idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting