Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,181 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where to start, so I'll start at the beginning with the black mark. I was in the army and lived on post. My father became very terminally ill and my command pushed me out as quickly as possible so I could say goodbye, was stationed in Alaska. When you leave the army the last month's rent if you live on post, isn't taken out of your living allowance but pocket, they pushed me out so fast didn't know this.
I started a new job with a 35k bonus, dealing with my dad's very ugly death put me in a dark spot, I'm only 22. So I'm working on a settlement to pay this off the collection agency who bought this, I just found out I have this when I credit check was ran on me when I applied. I also have a registered, updated letter from doctor, proof of training, ESA dog. The only issue is I'm still having a very hard time with him, he's an 120 lbs American bulldog. Trained, doesn't bark, friendly so on, but people still try to deny me for him.

Now that you know the story here are my questions.

Can the landlord just run a credit check on my wife and not me? Can I show a bank statement with a lot of 0s and they look past it?

What's the best way to approach a landlord with a dog that fails every breed list and weight limit? He's a very heavily trained dog and very well behaved, but landlords seem like they don't even want to know that.

Thanks in advanced for any tips.

My wife works makes 23,000 year, I'm in paramedic school with small income on my GI bill, we're looking for 600-800 month properties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10522 View Post
I'm not sure where to start, so I'll start at the beginning with the black mark. I was in the army and lived on post. My father became very terminally ill and my command pushed me out as quickly as possible so I could say goodbye, was stationed in Alaska. When you leave the army the last month's rent if you live on post, isn't taken out of your living allowance but pocket, they pushed me out so fast didn't know this.
I started a new job with a 35k bonus, dealing with my dad's very ugly death put me in a dark spot, I'm only 22. So I'm working on a settlement to pay this off the collection agency who bought this, I just found out I have this when I credit check was ran on me when I applied. I also have a registered, updated letter from doctor, proof of training, ESA dog. The only issue is I'm still having a very hard time with him, he's an 120 lbs American bulldog. Trained, doesn't bark, friendly so on, but people still try to deny me for him.

Can the landlord just run a credit check on my wife and not me? Can I show a bank statement with a lot of 0s and they look past it?

If all you have is one black mark on your credit and make at least 3x the rent, your issue isn't your credit. Having said that, is this black mark an eviction or judgment? If so, good luck renting anywhere decent for the next 5yrs or so.

Sometimes a private landlord will do that, but in my opinion no decent landlord lets any adult move in without a background/credit check.

What's the best way to approach a landlord with a dog that fails every breed list and weight limit? He's a very heavily trained dog and very well behaved, but landlords seem like they don't even want to know that.

You can approach them any way you want, but if they don't allow that breed or size there's nothing you can do about it. Your dr's note and ESA status won't change the breed or weight of the dog. They don't have to approve your dog.

My wife works makes 23,000 year, I'm in paramedic school with small income on my GI bill, we're looking for 600-800 month properties

Your income is low, your credit is iffy and you have a bully breed dog...good luck in your search. Your best bet is to find a private landlord who isn't picky about tenants

Old 12-16-2015, 05:02 PM

Landlords can only deny my dog on the criteria listed in the source link. He has all the correct paperwork and legally is not recognized as a pet but a therapeutic way of dealing with ptsd.

Source https://www.nsarco.com/emotional-housing.html
Landlords cannot:

Ask a tenant to pay a deposit, fee, or surcharge in exchange for having a service or emotional support animal, even if they require such a practice from owners who wish to obtain pets in their dwelling.
Require that an emotional support animal have any specific training
Require the emotional support animal to wear or carry any special collar, harness, vest, emblem, or other means of identifying it as such.
Inquire about the extent of the disability, or ask for detailed medical records for the individual requesting the service or emotional support animal.
Refuse to accommodate you and your animal because their insurance policy won't allow a species, breed, or weight. They are still subject to the law.
A person with a disability may, however, be charged for damages caused to the premises by their emotional support or service animal.
A disabled person who does not properly manage his/her unruly, destructive, aggressive, or disturbance causing animal can be evicted.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
Quote:

What is the mark on your record? Eviction or collection? Did you settle it? Have you ran your background and credit check lately?

He can. But most LLs are going to want to run a credit/background check on ALL tenants over the age of 18. I do. Showing me a bank statement with "lots of zeros" really isn't going to make me forgo my approval regs/rules.

This is a bit tougher. Some of the insurance companies will drop the insurance on the property. I can tell you I am reluctant to take pets. Not because I don't like pets but because I don't know your pet. There are liabilities and possible damages. Lots of tenants tend to dismiss pet damage as wear and tear. When time comes to pay for damages they don't want to pay. So that becomes a issue. Never mind if your dog bites a person or child. The lawyer is gonna come after the LL just because. And dogs bark. And they like chewing on stuff. Sometimes a lot. Look online at what dogs are capable of doing to doors or drywall carpet cabinets etc.
I have one property where dogs are allowed as long as my insurance allows the breed. It's the only rental property where dogs are allowed.

Most LLs are going to want 3x rent as monthly income

Old 12-17-2015, 01:02 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Your mistake to choose a breed of dog that is going to cause you difficulties with renting. You really didn't know that landlords generally won't accept bully breeds? If so, you are the only tenant in the country that doesn't know that. Your American Bulldog might be a nice one, but many of them are dangerous. Life would have been a lot easier for you if you'd chosen a different breed of large dog to train.

Landlords don't have to reject you for your dog. They don't have to deal with the ESA aspect of the dog at all because they will reject you for low income, bad credit, and a bad landlord reference.

I'd be surprised if you find a landlord who will agree to run a screening only on your wife and to let you in without doing a screening on you. But maybe you'll get lucky. You'll have to keep calling landlords and asking if they will do that for you.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,907,287 times
I'm a little stuck on somebody who MUST HAVE an ESA animal, but is training to be a paramedic.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM

Just because I have issues that mainly became worse after my father died an extremely ugly death. But my mental health and what the dog does for me isn't the discussion here.

I guess if we come to a deal I can then bring the dog up, so if they deny me I have more of a case. Also I've had the dog for two years, my past landlord didn't mind.

I came here for ways to approach landlords not for judgmental people to discuss mental health, that's actually illegal for them to ask what's wrong with me

Old 12-17-2015, 11:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
You can try getting a liability policy to show to a landlord, and promise to show proof of continuing coverage paid monthly.
(No personal connection to this company, just an example)

Dog Homeowners Liability Insurance | Dangerous Dog Breed Coverage

The credit bureaus know you are married, they will not check separately just for your wife.

(BTW, did you check the laws in your state about credit checks in reference to becoming a paramedic? Credit checks I've noticed have in many places been folded into the "background check." JIC you may want to speed up repayment schedule)

Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,446,548 times
Quote:

I guess if we come to a deal I can then bring the dog up, so if they deny me I have more of a case.

So now you're talking about trying to force the landlord into denying you because of the dog, and then bringing a case against them. How classy of you.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:50 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,062,242 times
Quote:

I guess if we come to a deal I can then bring the dog up, so if they deny me I have more of a case. Also I've had the dog for two years, my past landlord didn't mind.

Nope, They can just deny you for lying on your application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting