Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 08:49 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times

Advertisements

I'm about to start up a vacation rental in Asheville NC. I'm looking for ways to advertise and VRBO, Air BnB seem like the obvious choices. What are your experiences with these sites and do you have another suggestions for me? I've heard that VRBO attracts more stable people versus AirBnB. Its going to be a high priced home so I'm guessing that will eliminate the riff raff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:46 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
You can look at homeaway.com and craigslist for advertising.

But just because the rental is high priced certainly does not "eliminate the riff raff". In fact, it just might mean that they crowd more people into the place to lower the per person costs. And rich people can be irresponsible or slobs, you know.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
We use vrbo on all our vacation rentals. I'm not crazy about Air BnB

Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
We use vrbo on all our vacation rentals. I'm not crazy about Air BnB
Would you please elaborate? Thanks.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
VRBO is part of the homeaway.com "family." When we were looking for a vacation rental I noticed that some places appeared on multiple sites. I later discovered that those sites were all connected to homeaway. You might want to check into that as it would be good to have it listed in multiple places.

Frankly I would NEVER rent a vacation home from craigslist. There are too many opportunities for a scam and there is no consumer protection.

While many of the AirBnB places look legitimate, I've had no success with them. Some fail to take down listings. One person flaked and decided to try to rent to me directly. I didn't have success finding a place with VRBO either, but that is more a factor of when I want to go, the length of time and the location.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:41 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Just a casual observation: better quality places get advertised on VRBO. Cheaper places get advertised on airbnb. I've seen a tent in a backyard advertised on airbnb. Airbnb is one step above couch surfing.

I'm a risk taker. I'd rent off of airbnb, but I suspect that more conservative folks consider VRBO to be safer, better run, and more reputable. It's about the same level of reliability as reserving a hotel room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting