Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

who all (as in which companies/organizations) can find that out?

I decided to add someone mainly because he visits so much that it seems to be the right choice. He won't start having mail come here though.

About 1/2 the time, my friend's w/ his mother since she has a health condition & he helps her out a lot, but he visits me quite a good amt too.

Like if he applies for future jobs, unemployment, food stamps, etc. in which he prefers to use his mother's address, can they find out (& naturally assume) he lives at my place since he's on the lease now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
His failure to include this lease/address when applying for government assistance programs would be considered fraud most likely.

By adding him to the lease is he obligated to pay rent or is he an occupant?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If he gets all of his mail at the other address and he has the other address on his driver's license and all of his bank accounts and his voter's registration are at the other address, your address might not come up. He should be filing his tax returns using his mother's address.

Usually, it is the place where the majority of your time is spent that is considered your primary residence. Your friend might be careful to spend more days at his mother's house than at yours, just to be on the safe side.

Although, there is no guarantee that your address won't come up somehow. Or maybe someone might turn him in.

If your landlord records leases, then his name will come up with your address, but very few landlords record their leases routinely.

If you and he get evicted or taken to small claims court, then it goes on his credit report and his public record that he is living at your address. If the police are called for a disturbance or a crime, then he gets associated with your address. So pay the rent on time, don't destroy property or make a lot of noise.

Just be aware that if he gets caught giving a false address on his welfare application, that it is considered fraud. I don't know what happens to him if he gets caught, but whatever it is can't be good.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:47 AM

My complex is a corporation, NOT a private LL.

No one will turn him in & he will NOT change his address to mine for any currently existing mail he gets.

I don't want anyone to know either. This was only for the purpose that visitors can only park in a few certain parking spaces & I was finally notified by my leasing office that his car was parked in the visitor spots too much & it was suggested to me to add him to the lease. My rent amt didn't change at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
...By adding him to the lease is he obligated to pay rent or is he an occupant?
Nope, I've already been here almost 4 yrs, paying the whole rent myself ON TIME & most of last yr being 2-3 MOS AHEAD. They don't care how or who contributes what amt for the rent...just as long as it's paid.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Just an added note, here. One of my son's tenants added an additional tenant, not on the rental agreement. My son caught them and screened the family and put them onto a rental agreement.

After they moved out, here comes the welfare department wanting proof that she had lived there plus some additional information. They were after the tenant for welfare fraud and after her in a big way.

I have no idea how the welfare people found out, but they did, and they weren't ignoring it.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:13 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My complex is a corporation, NOT a private LL.

They will do a credit/background check on him...that hard pull will show up on his credit report. It won't show the address, but it will show the company that did the pull (the corporate name of the complex)

No one will turn him in & he will NOT change his address to mine for any currently existing mail he gets.

He doesn't have to change his address in order to be considered a resident. Once he signs that lease he is considered a resident of that complex. Where he gets his mail doesn't matter. Any mail from the complex, including legal documents, will be sent to that address addressed to the both of you...those documents will link him to that address..

I don't want anyone to know either. This was only for the purpose that visitors can only park in a few certain parking spaces & I was finally notified by my leasing office that his car was parked in the visitor spots too much & it was suggested to me to add him to the lease. My rent amt didn't change at all.

How are you going to stop people from finding out? Your neighbors already ratted you out to the office...how else do you think they knew he was there so much?? Just an FYI...all anybody has to do is drive around your parking lot to find his car (that may or may not have a resident parking permit) or knock on some doors and ask questions. If he lies to the govt, they WILL find out. It's not an if, it's a when.

Nope, I've already been here almost 4 yrs, paying the whole rent myself ON TIME & most of last yr being 2-3 MOS AHEAD. They don't care how or who contributes what amt for the rent...just as long as it's paid.

Is he ready to fully responsible for your unit and lease? Are you ready for him to move in lock, stock and barrel? Once he signs that lease you have no control of when he comes, how long he stays, and who he brings with him. Think about it.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 PM

Thanks guys.

Yes, all that's covered Kim in FL.

Also, as far as my relatives go, no one needs to know he lives here. The most they know is that he probably visits a LOT.

Also, I assume no one will find out anything about cohabitating if we continue to file our own TAXES separately, right?

Any other comments?

Old 02-06-2016, 08:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
My concern is for you. Putting your friend on your lease gives him full tenancy, which means if you decide to move and he says he won't move out - now you have a major problem on your hands. The landlord can come to you for full rent, even after you move out, if he says he's staying. If your friend starts any problems, you both get kicked out.

I don't see what's in it for you, is my thinking. And someone who is committing welfare fraud is not a good bet. I highly suggest you don't put him on the lease. Let him find parking that won't get you in trouble. And don't put yourself in a position to let his lifestyle affect yours. You're already in a position of helping him commit fraud, which makes you an accomplice.

Spoken by a mother who watched her daughter do the same kind of thing. She didn't listen, and you probably won't either. But, I had to say it.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks guys.

Yes, all that's covered Kim in FL.

Also, as far as my relatives go, no one needs to know he lives here. The most they know is that he probably visits a LOT.

Also, I assume no one will find out anything about cohabitating if we continue to file our own TAXES separately, right?

Any other comments?

All of what asked about it taken care of?

You're really ready for him to move in? How about his mom? Are you ready for his mom to move in too?

How are you going to handle this relationship? Once he's on the lease he has the same rights to that unit as you.........I hope your prepared.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:50 PM

I've known this guy for the last 20 yrs, so I'm good, but I appreciate your guys bringing up various concerns to think about.

Wait, where did I say about anyone committing fraud? I originally wanted to know what companies can find out to prevent doing the wrong things. If he doesn't want to start having his mail come here & neither do I , that's a choice people can make.

Our plan is to have this be my last yr living here & then we both move out at once around this time next year. We just have to save up the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting