Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 05:35 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times

Advertisements

You are in such denial and pushing HUD (for reasons unknown) - the lease is SIMPLY NOT BEING RENEWED. I don't understand why YOU can't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You are in such denial and pushing HUD (for reasons unknown) - the lease is SIMPLY NOT BEING RENEWED. I don't understand why YOU can't understand that.
I understand that. It is irrelevant.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Their is no case.

Her contract isn't being renewed. The property owner has no responsibly towards her or her family with no contract between them.

Thier doesn't need to be a reason for a non renewal, it's not an eviction it is simply the end of a mutually agreed term.

When that is up nobody owes anyone anything. Your original agreement is null and a new one isn't being made

Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Their is no case.

Her contract isn't being renewed. The property owner has no responsibly towards her or her family with no contract between them.

Thier doesn't need to be a reason for a non renewal, it's not an eviction it is simply the end of a mutually agreed term.

When that is up nobody owes anyone anything. Your original agreement is null and a new one isn't being made
Ask HUD. She is the present tenant. They are refusing to rent to her. She is a mother with children.

And in doing so the LL raises kthe question of whether the LL is refusing to rent to a family with children.

And if the LL was dumb enough to rent to a couple with no children the LL could well lose.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Ask HUD. She is the present tenant. They are refusing to rent to her. She is a mother with children.
HUD has long established that being a member of a protected class does not in and of itself establish a violation under Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (FHA). So, in establishing that a person's rights have been violated you need to provide clear and convincing evidence that the most likely reason for a non-renewal was because they are a member of that protected class and its at the exclusion of all other reasons. This is why only a few cases ever go to conciliation or hearings for Fair Hosing violations and why the majority are closed with a finding of "no reasonable cause".

To use your scenario, the person would need to show that the landlord's only reason not to renew was because of they had children and only because they had children. HUD would have to be able to prove the family status was the only reasons for the non-renewal AND that it was at the exclusion of all other reasoning. However, you have admitted that rent was late and if that is what the landlord alleges at a primary consideration, unless HUD has a smoking gun of the landlord admitting they won't renew due to a protected class, they will close the case because being a bad tenant who just so happens to have children but can't pay their rent on time is not a protected class. In other words, every person who rents is a member of a protected class (take their sex for one thing) so would every single non-renewal be a FHA violation due to that protected class?

I know it's tough to being told to get loss and not have a place to go, And, I know you so wanted validation that it's not your fault but the evil landlord's discrimination, however, the truth is, the rent was late, and the landlord just doesn't care to rent to you because your not a good tenant. This is what happens when tenants screw around. Do not confuse being a member of a protected class as a violation of FHA because of that protected class when the tenant's bad action is the reason.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

And in doing so the LL raises kthe question of whether the LL is refusing to rent to a family with children.

And if the LL was dumb enough to rent to a couple with no children the LL could well lose.
You're confusing facts

For this to work against the LL it would have to be becuase they wanted them out solely becuase they had children, not that they have children "in general"

Protected class doesn't mean do as you please becuase you have other rights some may not have.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,255 times
lease is not being renewed. It's the ll's decision. Their property. Eviction is a legal process. You're being told to leave once your lease is up. LL is not obligated to renew.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:00 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieensor72 View Post
Yes I am living there and my lease is up on Feb 29, 2016 and I was only a few hundred short in December and I paid it by the 18th and paid the late charge and they gave the late charge money back to me as a Christmas gift. Its not that Im trying to have a record its that I have no where to go and I have 3 kids and 3 horses and 2 dogs and I have been a very good tenant. The husband likes me the wife dont and they live on the property behind me.
Not to be cruel, but owning horses is a very expensive hobby. Perhaps it's time to sell the horses so that you can pay the rent on time in the future.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:12 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieensor72 View Post
I am wondering how long it will take for my landlords to get me out even if I have not done anything wrong? My lease is up Feb 29, I have 3 kids 3 horses and 2 dogs and I have been living there a year and paid my rent every month I was only late a few times but I paid all the late fees and charges. I believe I am being discriminated against for being a single parent and they are old and grumpy and dont want to deal with me. I have been trying to find a place and can not find one anywhere. I have told them several times and they will not budge so what happens on March 1, when I am still there.
If my tenants were late "a few times" in a year (there are only 12 months), I'd want to evict them too!! I have to pay my mortgage, and I can't without my rental income. The tenant being late causes me to be late, and ruins my credit. How completely and utterly inconsiderate to be late on your rent. I'd want you out of my property as quickly as possible.

They don't have to renew your lease. Your contract is up 29 Feb. You don't have any right to stay longer. They don't need a reason to evict you, the contract is up. They promised to let you stay until 29 Feb, no longer.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
You're right. I don't "get a vote." But I will be blunt. I think people who run to government agencies or court systems with false claims of discrimination are the lowest of the low. They spend taxpayer money that could otherwise be allocated toward actually helping people on their own personal vendettas. They dilute the actual, legitimate discrimination cases with their bull**** such that real victims don't get the attention and outrage they deserve. They bog down the system with their fraudulent claims and then walk away smirking regardless of the outcome, knowing that they have mucked things up for someone they have a grudge against. It'd disgusting.

Obviously this is not a legitimate discrimination case. The landlord rented to her in the first place. She proved herself to be an irresponsible tenant. Now the landlord's obligation to her is ending and it's time for her to move on.
THIS!!!!

Maybe they want to move back into their property, or sell it, or renovate it, or raise the rent. OR MAYBE THEY WANT TENANTS THAT PAY ON TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting