Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,573 times

Advertisements

I've been living in an apartment for two years and my lease is up at the end of Oct 2014. I haven't decided if I want to stay or not. Landlord would like me to stay.

However, he keeps calling every month in the last 3 months asking what I'm going to do. I tell him that I'll give him two months notice. He wants to start showing the apartment sooner for rentals/sales.

Can I reasonably reject requests for visits until two months prior to a lease end (especially for rental)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 02:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOlives View Post
I've been living in an apartment for two years and my lease is up at the end of Oct 2014. I haven't decided if I want to stay or not. Landlord would like me to stay.

However, he keeps calling every month in the last 3 months asking what I'm going to do. I tell him that I'll give him two months notice. He wants to start showing the apartment sooner for rentals/sales.

Can I reasonably reject requests for visits until two months prior to a lease end (especially for rental)?
My gut reaction is an absolute YES to your question - unless he has the building up for sale in which case you have to reasonably accommodate him for showings. For re-renting? I don't think so and particularly since you haven't even decided yet whether you're staying or leaving. Two months is more than sufficient.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 PM

988 posts, read 1,741,048 times
Wow. I know NYC rental market is hot but your LL asking for showings already when your lease isn't up until Oct is jumpingthe gun quite a bit early. Aside from the fact that, rental-wise, he's really unlikely to get many people coming by interested in a Nov 1st occupancy in July, you're under no obligation to honor his request this early. Now, if the apt is also for sale, there may be a clause in your lease that states you must honor all reasonable requests for showing any prospective buyers.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
I'm not so sure...I had landlords in college towns that would show everything in October. If you didn't want to re sign the lease that far in advance, then best of luck to you, he didn't want to wait around, a bird in hand and all. So, I think he probably could demand that you resign y lease or otherwise have a new tenant lined up in advance.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not so sure...I had landlords in college towns that would show everything in October. If you didn't want to re sign the lease that far in advance, then best of luck to you, he didn't want to wait around, a bird in hand and all. So, I think he probably could demand that you resign y lease or otherwise have a new tenant lined up in advance.
Yes, but this is NYC; decidedly not a college town, NYU notwithstanding. The rental cycle for renewals usually skews 60 days or so before end of term; as for people looking, they generally don't start until 30-45 days before they need to move, and a lot of times even closer to their move-out date.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
So, I think he probably could demand that you resign y lease or otherwise have a new tenant lined up in advance.
Unless such a stipulation is written into the lease, he can "demand" nothing of the sort.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Unless such a stipulation is written into the lease, he can "demand" nothing of the sort.
Oh! Didn't even see that last line.
Yes, you're correct; the LL can't "demand" the tenant give word on renewing this far in advance nor sign a new lease/renewal this far in advance. NYC housing courts are pretty tenant-friendly and that certainly wouldn't stand up in court if the tenant decided to challenge it.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOlives View Post

In Arizona it's 60 days after going from lease to month-to-month. IMO that is plenty of time.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
2 months is plenty of notice. You don't have to submit to any pressure. You'll pizz him off but hey try to simply explain to him its still way too early to make a decision on anything. You will give him proper notice. BUT all that said at renewal time don't be surprised if he remembers this and tacks on a few bucks. I'm assuming you're in a rent controlled area and he can probably easily get more than what you're currently paying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting