Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 67,074 times

Advertisements

As I've been posting, we are evicting tenants. I had info from the Sanitary/Sewer utility that the tenants hadn't paid them either and were given notice that their water was subject to being turned off.

Today I found out the order to turn off the water is scheduled to be done today. However, tenants illegally go out and simply turn the water back on and it is not an inconvenience for them. (After a week the utility would put a lock box but the tenants will probably be out by then).

I want them to be inconvenienced, so if I am aware that the water has been turned back on can I report it to the utility company or are there any other agencies I could report them too? They should be inconvenienced for not having paid. Thanks for any help or experience with this subject. Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM

11 posts, read 67,074 times
Default p.s. I live in Florida

n/t

Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM

850 posts, read 4,740,666 times
You've definitely had a rough go of it with these tenants and I feel for you! I would say of course you could report them. You can probably even do that anonomously I would think. But here's another issue. As a landlord, do you really *want* them to have no water running? There are so many reasons one would need water to keep a property in clean, safe working order and while I know you want them inconvenienced (as would I), I'm sure you also want to protect your property as best you can. As an apartment manager over the years, we would actually always get the utilities turned back on into our name if they had been disconnected and bill the resident accordingly just because we didn't want our property to be without the proper utilities to keep it maintained. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,087 times
I'm a renter and not a LL, but I agree with Babytarheelz...I've heard horror stories about water being turned off. Might be in your best interest to keep it on.

I'm curious though...why would the utility execute an order to turn it off and not actually do it till a week later? Seems pointless and a little boy-cried-wolf to me. If they're executing the order then why not just turn it off right away?

Anyway, good luck with your situation...sounds like you've got your hands full.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I would stay out of it... who needs the grief.

On a practical matter, having the water flowing is definitely to your benefit in terms of sanitation...

Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

On a practical matter, having the water flowing is definitely to your benefit in terms of sanitation...
It could also be to her detriment though if the tenants are vindictive. I know someone who had that experience once. The SOB's he was evicting turned on the tub, located on the 2nd floor and...................

Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
True... know of that happening... Insurance covered it as vandalism.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 15,067 times
I pay my rent on time, and for the last month and a half, I get cold water in dribs and drabs; the hot water is on for about 20-30 minutes a day. I can't wash my dishes, hands, hair, clean, cook, etc. I'm getting sick of not being able to take a shower. I haven't had a shower in 4 days. I've gone to the office and complained. They say they'll take care of it. The water goes on for 1 or 2 hrs. and then goes off. The hot water rarely goes on. It's disgusting. The people in the office are rude, especially the girl at the front. She either gets in my face and wants to know what the problem is, or she just walks away from me and shows me her butt while talking to the manager. Can someone give me some advise?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
You might want to start a new thread considering this one is over 3 years old and not really related to your issue.

As for your situation, have you put your request in writing to the management?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Without hot and cold wate View Post
I pay my rent on time, and for the last month and a half, I get cold water in dribs and drabs; the hot water is on for about 20-30 minutes a day. I can't wash my dishes, hands, hair, clean, cook, etc. I'm getting sick of not being able to take a shower. I haven't had a shower in 4 days. I've gone to the office and complained. They say they'll take care of it. The water goes on for 1 or 2 hrs. and then goes off. The hot water rarely goes on. It's disgusting. The people in the office are rude, especially the girl at the front. She either gets in my face and wants to know what the problem is, or she just walks away from me and shows me her butt while talking to the manager. Can someone give me some advise?
In the first "sticky" on this forum you'll find a link to your state's landlord tenant laws. You should notify the landlord in writing via certified return receipt mail of the problem. You will see from your state laws that the landlord is required to fix the problem within a reasonable time (some states are more specific than others). If the landlord fails to fix the problem after you've put your request in writing and doesn't provide you with hot water on a regular basis, you can contact your local Health Department who will come out to check the system (that too is likely to be addressed in your state landlord tenant laws) and deal with the landlord accordingly.

Don't deal with the office personnel any more. Keep all emotions to the side and treat this in a businesslike fashion by putting your complaint in writing after you've read those laws. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting