Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,902 times

Advertisements

Last month I signed a lease for an apartment and paid all my deposits, everything was going fine until I got a call today stating that the tenants of the apartment I was suppose to move in are not actually going to leave. They put me into a bigger apartment on the first floor (originally I wanted second floor and the smaller apartment) and told me rent is going to be about 35 more dollars and my total due when i move in went up too!

I think this is ridiculous! I signed a lease already for a certain amount of rent per month and now im basically being forced into a lease I did not sign! Can I fight this at all? How can tenants that were suppose to move just "not" move out? They waited so long to tell me this that now its too late for me to find an apartment elsewhere. Does this actually happen to people? What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,689 times
If you've already actually signed a lease with a specific rental rate on it, I don't think they can make you pay more until your renewal. First thing I would do is read the lease closely. It might have some verbiage in it that can help you.

And yes, some places will allow a current tenant to... withdraw their notice. I had a similar problem once. Found a unit that I loved and put the deposits and such down on it, but then the people decided not to move. Difference being in my situation is that they had another unit that I liked with the same rental rate/terms, so everything was just switched over.

Hope it works out for you!

Last edited by Melodica; 07-12-2016 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
If you've already actually signed a lease with a specific rental rate on it, I don't think they can make you pay more until your renewal. First thing I would do is read the lease closely. It might have some verbiage in it that can help you.

And yes, some places will allow a current tenant to... withdraw their notice. I had a similar problem once. Found a unit that I loved and put the deposits and such down on it, but then the people decided not to move. Difference being in my situation is that they had another unit that I liked with the same rental rate/terms, so everything was just switched over.

Hope it works out for you!
Thanks for the info and I cant believe this, but they changed my lease online! I had to do everything online since im moving in from out of state and now when i log into the site to look at the lease I signed I see they actually changed everything, the unit number, rent, everything! I never got an option to sign a lease for this unit! I have an email with my move-in statement though that still has the rent and fees I originally agreed too!

Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Ridiculous. My first apartment we had put down for a 1st floor wood floor unit. But prior tenants didn't move out so we ended up in a second floor carpeted unit and gave us a discount off the going rate for the inconvenience.

As for why people go back on their 30 day notices, can be people who were in process of buying a home and the deal fell through.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonek91 View Post
Thanks for the info and I cant believe this, but they changed my lease online! I had to do everything online since im moving in from out of state and now when i log into the site to look at the lease I signed I see they actually changed everything, the unit number, rent, everything! I never got an option to sign a lease for this unit! I have an email with my move-in statement though that still has the rent and fees I originally agreed too!

If you signed a lease via electronic signature, you should have received a copy of that. It's always a good idea to get a copy of any signed document (paper copy or electronic).

Old 07-12-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you signed a lease via electronic signature, you should have received a copy of that. It's always a good idea to get a copy of any signed document (paper copy or electronic).
They said they sent one but it didnt come and I just forgot since I was so busy trying to get everything ready to go, not a good excuse, but damn.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Ridiculous. My first apartment we had put down for a 1st floor wood floor unit. But prior tenants didn't move out so we ended up in a second floor carpeted unit and gave us a discount off the going rate for the inconvenience.

As for why people go back on their 30 day notices, can be people who were in process of buying a home and the deal fell through.
I really hope I can manage some sort of discount because I leased the cheaper apartment for a reason!

Its just upsetting to find this out less than a month before I move.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
If you sign a lease, and the previous tenants changed their mind, that should be their problem. But then you did not get all the proper signatures first, so that means what you signed does not count legally. That was devious that the landlord changes things online, but then i guess lesson learned, protect yourself. There is no reason with all the email and faxes and scanning that people are able to send documents in other ways than thru the mail which is not very reliable nowadays.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:00 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
If you sign a lease, and the previous tenants changed their mind, that should be their problem. But then you did not get all the proper signatures first, so that means what you signed does not count legally. That was devious that the landlord changes things online, but then i guess lesson learned, protect yourself. There is no reason with all the email and faxes and scanning that people are able to send documents in other ways than thru the mail which is not very reliable nowadays.
I read it that the first emailed copy did not arrive so the rental company changed the contract on-line and sent the OP the revised contract via email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting