Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schempgo View Post
Um, OK, but you clearly didn't read what I wrote and instead just fired off your opinion. I don't know why people do that, since it's completely unhelpful.

You want advice? Ok; get a job working third shift so you don't have to hear them at 0300.

Not really sure what you think can/should be done in this situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
I remember losing my job years ago and heard the people above me during the day. I couldn't really say anything because I was not normally home between 9am and 3pm so I just had to deal with it

Old 08-13-2016, 09:21 AM
C7C

101 posts, read 101,761 times
As a former renter, I was the one causing the thud noise in a downstairs apartment. My upstairs neighbor talked to me in the parking lot to point out that my door slamming in my bedroom below bothered their sleeping. I realized that I had a habit of closing closet doors by flipping the door shut with just enough force that it would close without twisting the door handle. But this noise echoed upstairs. I apologized and said I would make a change. From then on, I twisted the door handle to close each closet door. To this day, I sclose closet doors this quieter way.

Last edited by C7C; 08-13-2016 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-13-2016, 09:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I can relate to your dilemma when I lived in an apartment I had an upstairs neighbor that had a huge dog that would run back and forth and back and forth in the morning and she would cry all day until that lady came home made me very depressed . Then I had the couple on the adjoining wall who would have sex every night and I could hear them . I was never so glad to move out of an apartment in my life .There is nothing you can do just like there was nothing I could do short of moving . I moved to a townhouse after that , it was the total opposite of the apt and it was eerily quite .Nothing you can do short of moving out or maybe moving to another apt within your complex .

Old 08-13-2016, 11:44 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
I definitely commiserate with your pain. I agree with you that talking to the neighbor wouldn't do any good and of course that person is doing nothing wrong (Weird that you don't hear at any other time of day, unless other noises mask it). Doesn't make it any less impactful to you.

I would say you have a few options, really already mentioned. You could invest in good earplugs and white noise or instrumental music. You could shift your sleep habits. You could request an apartment move within the complex (and maybe end up in a worse situation unless you can get the uppermost unit). You could seek out jobs that fit with a different sleep schedule. You could train yourself to sleep in shifts (this seems like the least successful option to me).

I'm really wondering why the neighbor is doing this. I know it doesn't matter, but it makes me curious!

Old 08-13-2016, 03:53 PM

439 posts, read 517,207 times
Default I can completely commiserate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Some suggestions...

-Earplugs
-Fan or white noise
-Headphones
-All of the above (I have put in earplugs, turned on a fan and put headphones on top of the earplugs and turned them way up to drown out noise. It works passably well)

Also, never live below anyone. Unfortunately in apartments that's the only way you're going to get any peace. Just be glad they're only doing that for 15-20 minutes. Many people have neighbors who do it for hours at a time.

Amen, loud fan (none of these "quiet whisper" fans will help u, unfortunately) with heavy vibrations to drown out the noise of your upstairs neighbor, and ear plugs r the way to go.

I am currently in a situation where the loud noise goes on all through the night (complete night owl lives above me) I have even given him a rug, which he didn't use, so I just asked for it back.

Unfortunately, it is hardwood floors so I hear everything; dropped keys, scrapes across the floor, etc. and is it ever loud. We have completely opposite schedules. Fortunately, he may be moving, PTL. I don't know if he does it purposely. The other men who live above me are very considerate, but this guy is, well, *not*

I even question if he uses drugs but perhaps that is my imagination getting away....there is something off about him, but I can't put my finger on it, which is one of the reasons why I question the use of drugs.

Top floor is the way to go...

Last edited by sunburned_in_seattle; 08-13-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-13-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Amen, loud fan (none of these "quiet whisper" fans will help u, unfortunately) with heavy vibrations to drown out the noise of your upstairs neighbor, and ear plugs r the way to go.

I am currently in a situation where the loud noise goes on all through the night (complete night owl lives above me) I have even given him a rug, which he didn't use, so I just asked for it back.

Unfortunately, it is hardwood floors so I hear everything; dropped keys, scrapes across the floor, etc. and is it ever loud. We have completely opposite schedules. Fortunately, he may be moving, PTL. I don't know if he does it purposely. The other men who live above me are very considerate, but this guy is, well, *not*

I even question if he uses drugs but perhaps that is my imagination getting away....there is something off about him, but I can't put my finger on it, which is one of the reasons why I question the use of drugs.

Top floor is the way to go...
Top floor is the way to go if..

1. It's available

2. The building has a elevator

Old 08-13-2016, 05:00 PM

439 posts, read 517,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Top floor is the way to go if..

1. It's available

2. The building has a elevator
One flight of stairs ain't bad...builds the glut muscles.

Last edited by sunburned_in_seattle; 08-13-2016 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-13-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Well the one i looked at was on the 4th floor and there was no way I was climbing 4 flights everyday. Now this building i live in now has a elevator so if anyone wants to live on the top floor they have the elevator.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Especially if you never go grocery shopping and don't have any furniture or boxers pf stuff to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting