Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,285 times

Advertisements

I moved in with a random roommate and this person started bringing friends over constantly as well as a significant other. I value my privacy and alone time to destress after work. After a certain point, I told this roommate that it's too much and we agreed to not have any visitors just M-Th as they're working days and I don't want my sleep to be bothered and such. It worked for about a little bit until the roommate started bringing over people again during these days. I felt disrespected by this but I've been letting it slide and haven't said anything.

During this time, this roommate says that the utility bill is too high ($40-$50/mo) and we need to split it monthly. Roommate was paying it for the first few months because this person has the master bedroom and the room is 50% larger. I became okay with just paying everything down the middle including the utility bill even though I have the smaller room if my roommate abided by our rules about visitors, showed consideration, etc. Since my roommate broke our verbal agreement about guests, I feel that I also have no reason to follow our verbal agreement about the utility bill. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 05:13 PM

99 posts, read 89,122 times
I think you have a pretty valid point.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:41 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Perhaps you should switch bedrooms, keep the utility agreement, and she can have a visitor between 6-9:30 pm one weekday evening each week.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Make a deal - you'll pay half the utilities mentioned for months in which the no visitors M-Th has been completely honored. You should get together to discuss what is fair and what isn't, put the rules and parameters you come up with in that discussion in writing (2 copies, one for each to keep), and both of you sign and date it. Turn those verbal agreements into contracts. Not having visitors over to disturb your sleep on the eve of work days is a reasonable request. You are actually being generous not including Sunday nights.

It might be better to do it by the week, by the way. You don't want them goofing up on the first Wednesday of the month, reason that they have already blown this month so why not bring people over everyday. The way this would work: visitors are brought over the Tuesday of the second week so you would pay 75% of your 50% of the bill.

Ex: Bill=$100, your half would be $50 (10.25/week) but they had that visitor over that first week so your share is now $39.75

Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Roommate politics. Nobody can work it out except for the people who live there.

I suggest that in the future you interview any potential roommate more carefully and discuss issues like how many visitors, how many nights partners can stay over, music preferences, pets and visiting pets, level of cleanliness, who gets to pick what is on the television, cooking smells, noise level, temperature to set the thermostat... all the things that tenants and roommates complain about frequently.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
splitting utilities is fair, demanding that your roomie doesn't have friends over isn't.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbron View Post
I moved in with a random roommate and this person started bringing friends over constantly as well as a significant other. I value my privacy and alone time to destress after work. After a certain point, I told this roommate that it's too much and we agreed to not have any visitors just M-Th as they're working days and I don't want my sleep to be bothered and such. It worked for about a little bit until the roommate started bringing over people again during these days. I felt disrespected by this but I've been letting it slide and haven't said anything.

During this time, this roommate says that the utility bill is too high ($40-$50/mo) and we need to split it monthly. Roommate was paying it for the first few months because this person has the master bedroom and the room is 50% larger. I became okay with just paying everything down the middle including the utility bill even though I have the smaller room if my roommate abided by our rules about visitors, showed consideration, etc. Since my roommate broke our verbal agreement about guests, I feel that I also have no reason to follow our verbal agreement about the utility bill. Thoughts?
Just sit the person down and discuss the fact that they broke the agreement. Pay what you feel is your share. And look for another roommate. It isn't working out imo

Old 10-11-2016, 05:43 AM

666 posts, read 643,396 times
Ok first of all i would feel very disrespected as well. And I would actually suggest a sort of ticket system as it were, where for every guest violation you get say $10 your next share of the utility bill, maybe the roommate will think twice.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
splitting utilities is fair, demanding that your roomie doesn't have friends over isn't.
Interesting, because I think requesting no visitors because of work is fair. If OP was demanding that everyday it would be different. Plus, there should be some consideration for the fact that the roomate has a much bigger bedroom. Really, what the roommate is doing by having people over so much is interfering with the OP's quiet enjoyment. There is room for compromise, such as the no restrictions on the weekends that is in place.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:27 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
What country are you in where $40 to $50 for utilities is too high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting