Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,714,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullingmyhairout View Post
sorry for not make my self very clear for post #7 there 30 to 60 day for notice which I gave in Oct.2016 my deposit was $500.00 my end date for my lease is Dec 15,2016 and yes I have tried talking with them but not much they can do
What DAY in October did you give notice? That is important info!

And is it 30 days OR 60 days required notice to move? It can't be both!

And you never answered the question I asked earlier "Why is this affecting your 'relocation'? If the only reason is because you don't have the money if you have to come up with the $1095 to pay him then, as I stated in post #7, etc, forget about owing him that money if he won't provide written proof to justify it.

And also, make absolutely certain that he does not keep your $500 sec dep IF there is no damage that he can prove or provide receipts for. I am sure if he is claiming you owe this bogus money then he will surely also try to keep your full sec dep. But he can't just do that without following the proper procedures and with proof! And, make absolutely sure that you clean the place spotless and leave it exactly how you found it LESS any normal wear and tear AND take good dated photos once it is all cleaned. However, if there is any damage that you or your pets caused he can charge you for that and take it out of your sec dep. BUT, he can not keep it to pay part of that $1095 unless he gives you legitimate proof of why you owe that money.

And if you are not familiar with your states sec dep laws, then read that link I posted earlier in post #3 to find what your state's sec dep laws are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 07:42 PM

539 posts, read 568,078 times
You don't have to ask if I read your posts, three separate times. And quoting my post two separate times is super weird.

Btw after all your drama, you have yet to answer questions we've been asking you. There's a reason those questions are being asked, especially since you're beginning to give us different info.

Also ALSO, there's no such thing as a 30 to 60 day notice. There's only one. Which is it? It LOOKS like you gave 60, but like everyone else is saying, read your lease.

You commented on relocation fees. No one owes you anything. Is that regarding your security deposit? AFTER you move out, depending on what state you live in, he has either 14, 15, or 30 days after you give your keys to give you an itemized list of damages as to why you owe him money. It LOOKS like he isn't telling you you owe rent, but you owe costs from damages. That's completely different. He can claim damages AFTER you move out. Again, depending on the state you live in, he can charge you out the wazoo, or he can't touch the deposit.

Unless you missed a month of rent, or he's saying you need to pay through the end of the month or pay termination fees, or pay fees that you neglected, like pet fees, he can't go after you for money until after the walkthrough and after you hand him the keys.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:00 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
I'm guessing here - but I'm thinking his lease stated no pets. Somewhere along the 8 year tenancy, he wanted cats. OP says (I think) that he got the LL's permission for the cats and has a witness, which makes me think that the permission was verbal. If it existed at all.

Verbal permission is crap. Meaningless when countered by a written lease. I'm thinking the LL's violation of lease claim is about the cats and this money is what he claims it will cost to repair cat damage (I'm envisioning window screens destroyed by kitty nails) and other cleaning required to get rid of the cat dander.

But $1,095 for that is WAY over the top. So ultimately, there's more to this saga than OP is letting on.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:22 PM

21 posts, read 23,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
You don't have to ask if I read your posts, three separate times. And quoting my post two separate times is super weird.

Btw after all your drama, you have yet to answer questions we've been asking you. There's a reason those questions are being asked, especially since you're beginning to give us different info.

Also ALSO, there's no such thing as a 30 to 60 day notice. There's only one. Which is it? It LOOKS like you gave 60, but like everyone else is saying, read your lease.

You commented on relocation fees. No one owes you anything. Is that regarding your security deposit? AFTER you move out, depending on what state you live in, he has either 14, 15, or 30 days after you give your keys to give you an itemized list of damages as to why you owe him money. It LOOKS like he isn't telling you you owe rent, but you owe costs from damages. That's completely different. He can claim damages AFTER you move out. Again, depending on the state you live in, he can charge you out the wazoo, or he can't touch the deposit.

Unless you missed a month of rent, or he's saying you need to pay through the end of the month or pay termination fees, or pay fees that you neglected, like pet fees, he can't go after you for money until after the walkthrough and after you hand him the keys.
look here I have answer all that was asked and I live in the state of Texas and yes there are two either u can gave a 30 or 60 day notice I said I did a 60 day one which was in Oct. I still live in the unit and there for where did I say any thing about paying fees to relocate so get it right and the there is no owed rent paid every month on time and some times over paid now I have not moved out yet so were did I leave it and anything and FYI my lease is up Dec.15,2016 so how in the world could I owe him anything and there are no pet fees if was then that would be fine no big deal I would pay I have no problem with that but he is mad because he raised the rent to and unaffordable price after 8yrs and now I have to move so tell me if I owed him anything would I have lived in the unit for 8yrs with no problems only after I tell him that I was not going to live here any more is when he came with this bs and before all this I was in good standing but that I have to move i'm not

Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
What DAY in October did you give notice? That is important info!

And is it 30 days OR 60 days required notice to move? It can't be both!

And you never answered the question I asked earlier "Why is this affecting your 'relocation'? If the only reason is because you don't have the money if you have to come up with the $1095 to pay him then, as I stated in post #7, etc, forget about owing him that money if he won't provide written proof to justify it.

And also, make absolutely certain that he does not keep your $500 sec dep IF there is no damage that he can prove or provide receipts for. I am sure if he is claiming you owe this bogus money then he will surely also try to keep your full sec dep. But he can't just do that without following the proper procedures and with proof! And, make absolutely sure that you clean the place spotless and leave it exactly how you found it LESS any normal wear and tear AND take good dated photos once it is all cleaned. However, if there is any damage that you or your pets caused he can charge you for that and take it out of your sec dep. BUT, he can not keep it to pay part of that $1095 unless he gives you legitimate proof of why you owe that money.

And if you are not familiar with your states sec dep laws, then read that link I posted earlier in post #3 to find what your state's sec dep laws are.
thank you and I gave a 60 day notice which was on Oct1,2016 and there is no damage to the uint inside are outside of the unit I have always taking good care of the home

Old 11-28-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
thank you and I gave a 60 day notice which was on Oct1,2016 and there is no damage to the uint inside are outside of the unit I have always taking good care of the home
Please answer the question in 3rd paragraph of my last post which I have copied for you below.

Quote:

Last edited by Corn-fused; 11-28-2016 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Please answer the question in 3rd paragraph of my last post.
ok housing sent a letter to make sure i'm in good standing with the landlord if not then I can't relocate he sent the letter back saying I owe him money which is a 1095 dollars in which I don't I have asked were do I owe this money he has yet to show me are housing were this money is owed so I can't move

Old 11-28-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
ok housing sent a letter to make sure i'm in good standing with the landlord if not then I can't relocate he sent the letter back saying I owe him money which is a 1095 dollars in which I don't I have asked were do I owe this money he has yet to show me are housing were this money is owed so I can't move
Okay, then I can only conclude that it is obvious that your LL knows how to jack around just enough to beat the system. My guess is that he is mad for some reason that you don't want to stay and pay his rent increase so he knew that sending that letter to housing was going to put a huge glitch in it for you.

I don't know that much about sec 8 so bear with me. 1) are you confirming that you are on sec 8 voucher program? 2) If you are on sec 8, how much of an increase is it going to be out of your pocket with his rent increase? I mean other than what sec 8 pays.

And, I don't understand why housing won't help or assist you in this situation. 3) What exactly did they tell you when you asked them for help?

Anyone else here familiar enough with sec 8 to assist the OP in what the next step would be to get help for this situation if sec 8 counselor won't help? Would OP go to a HUD representative or are they one in the same? I can't imagine that the OP would be forced to hire an attorney if they have no money to do so. There has got to be some advocate that can help OP. Isn't that what housing counselors are meant to do?

Old 11-28-2016, 10:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,495,372 times
Quote:
Then don't worry about it and don't pay it and stop 'pullingyourhairout' over it. Continue to force him to put it in writing with an explanation why it is owed. If it is legit and legal he will put it in writing (unless of course he is just totally stupid if it is not legitimate). Because, if he is hesitating or never puts it in writing and your lease states nothing about the charge then 1) for sure you don't owe it and 2) he was obviously bullying and scamming you attempting to get money out of you that was not legal or legitimate.

How much is your security deposit? Does it perhaps jive in any way with your security deposit amount? He might be confusing something with how sec deps work or the process. He surely can't charge anything against your security deposit if he has not done any walk-thru to assess any damage.

And how has this stopped your 'relocation'?

And what is your exact date your lease ends?

And how much notice is required to move and when did you actually give notice? And did you notify him in writing or was it verbal?

??? ??? ??? ??? How do you THINK landlords stop their tenants from relocating?

??? ??? ??? ???

Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? How do you THINK landlords stop their tenants from relocating?

??? ??? ??? ???

You are not even worth responding to but I will just because there are a number of ways the LL could stop them so that is why I asked specifically what the OP's reasoning was. And if you read any/all of my posts you would see that I addressed one reason HOWEVER, it was actually for a DIFFERENT reason.

So right back atcha boy

Now, don't you have better things to do like contacting someone about a razr phone somewhere? Or have you already ignored it because you don't have a good enough excuse to not take him up on his offer? OR, is it because if you did take him up on his offer then what could you possibly incessantly complain about anymore? hmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting